Charity Race Lingfield

Flame

At the Start
Good Afternoon,

If mods feel this is spam then feel free to remove but just wanted to let you all know that on March 20th 2010 at Lingfield Park, I will be riding PACHAKUTEK in a charity race in aid of HEROS (Homing Ex Racehorses Organisation Scheme).

The race over a mile is open to horses rated 60 or less and is run with a flag start with riders declaring a weight between 10 and 12 stone. I'm currently just under 12st but I'm hoping to get a mid weight as my horse is rated 60 and I'm gunning to win it.

Gaye Kellerway, John Reid and a couple of other well known celebs are set to ride in the race, so I'll need to be at the top of my game, but I'm hoping to generate a bit of online support.

I am looking to raise money for the charity and for every £1000 I raise I will add another £100 myself, so hopefully I would like to raise a good deal for a great cause.

If you would like to sponsor me please let me know as any donation would be greatly appreciated and it all goes to a good cause. The race will be recorded and a recording will be shown on channel 4 so I hopefully can go out and show you all how its done.

Anyways any help or support would be fantastic.

Chris

Good for you, Chris, having a go. Given the amount of armchair jockeys around, the race ought to be oversubscribed! Hope you have a good trip, but look out for that wily Gay - she'll nick your line where the cameras don't shine!

I would, but I object to HEROS marketing itself as a charity; it ain't so far as I can see. They sell horses every week in the Horse and Hound, for God's sake and have done for years! Not to mention that the premises is all family owned as well, very few overheads there. Don't get me wrong, what Grace is doing is a good job but I think that marketing yourself as a charity is crossing a line.

You need to go to Specsavers, then, Shadz! HEROS is a registered charity and its number is 1115174, which you'll see clearly on their website. Of course charities sell things, you daft bugger! How do you think local hospices, Oxfam, British Heart Foundation, Cancer Research, the Alzheimer's Society, the RSPCA, and the other thousands of charities registered with the commission make any money? They sell goods and/or services. HEROS happens to sell some horses, Oxfam flogs off people's discards, like the super coat I bought there this week for £20. I don't think you understand what 'charitable status' means.

I know full well that it is a charity, Krizon, what I am saying is that in my personal opinion, knowing what I do about the place, I personally am uncomfortable with the concept of it holding charitable status. I am far from the only one who holds this opinion either, I know several people who share my view. A good handful of those are members on this forum also.

If you knew 'full well' it is a charity, then why the remark 'it ain't so far as I can see', Dominatrix? It is, whether you or anyone else likes it or not. And what is the problem you have with that? They take in animals and they sell some off - just like the Dogs' Trust does. My view is that people are slightly more likely to value an animal they've bought, rather than got free of charge, where they can then sell it to profiteer or, in the particular case of a horse, flog it off for meat money.

But rather than continue to debate the merits of horse societies, whether they sell or rent some to meet costs or not, it would be more gracious to wish Chris well for doing something for the benefit of racehorses, regardless of who owned them, than carp about HEROS. Perhaps you could take part in one for a charity you do like, Shadz? I know I'd make a real effort to see that! ;)

Last edited:
Back