JamesRB

Senior Jockey
have done Dysart Dynamo 14/1 Arkle and Constitution Hill 3/1 Champ Hurdle

all gets bollocks'd when Hendo decides chasing for the latter

anyone else taking an early view?

I'll have to rewatch a lot of it but initial thoughts/bets

Just the one bet Jonbon at 12s for the Champion Hurdle

Actually 2, Sky let me have £1.50 on Bardenstown Lad for the NHC 33/1

I really liked Minella Cocooner today and he looks a good type for the Brown Advisory but there is a lack of prices for that race. I've seen 14s in a couple of places but would like a smidge bigger.

I'd be interested in Vanillier for the Stayers but he's not quoted. I could ask but they automatically give you a **** price when you do that.

i'd be shocked if Jonbon went back hurdling Euro, Con Hill still only 5yrs old so plenty of time for chasing and Buckley making noises about Champ Hurdle/taking on Honeysuckle before a potential chasing career

Jonbon also looks like he has plenty of scope for chasing, like his brother

Given that Chantry House seems out of love for the game and that Champ didn’t really seems to fit the bill I think JP will be looking to see what will make a Gold Cup horse?

C Hill - Champion Hurdle
Flooring Porter - Stayers
Dysart - Arkle

First thoughts anyway. Have more of an idea after Punchestown

I just hope I'm still here next Cheltenham.must be only evens.
I'd love to see the likes of gallopin CH and vauban.etc

Way Gordon campaigns his nice bumper horses, you can be certain American Mike will be going Ballymore

Will take the place payout acca on these.

Minella Crooner, Stattler, Kilcruit, Edwardstone.

Never hesitated to Dutch Honeysuckle and Constitution at evens...Better investment than lleaving it in my account and dwindling it away on the flat. Dont believe for one minute Willie wont be aiming Galopin Des Champs at the Gold Cup so having a few quid on and looking about for the best price I can get for a KG...GC double

After timing alert here - I backed Ginto in the race. I liked him since the start of the season. But also I went back and watched Hillcrest's Haydock run again as the pundits and preview nights were getting so aroused talking about it. Miles clear if the third but did everyone fail to see the 122 rated horse 2l off him on the run to the last.

Between him and teahupoo, be careful how close you run to the festival in bad ground before a grade 1.

... but did everyone fail to see the 122 rated horse 2l off him on the run to the last.

No, HW, we didn't fail to see it.

I wrote on the 'to note' thread at the time:

I don't imagine this will be a dark horse when it reappears but certainly worth noting.

Haydock Saturday 19 Feb - Albert Bartlett Hurdle - Crystal Glory

In a very strongly run event, one of three over the CD on the day, the impressive winner Hillcrest went to the top of my ratings for the Albert Bartlett hurdle at the festival. He burned off impressive recent winner Green Book by the two-mile mark but Crystal Glory, more patiently ridden, kept tabs with him most of the way up the straight and was ultimately only beaten eight lengths in receipt of 5lbs. With the winner going up to 148, a literal interpretation of the form at a pound to a length would have the runner-up on 135. He's been raised to 131.

I think 148 undervalues the winner and I don't think a pound per length applies in heavy ground at three miles. I reckon Crystal Glory is 150 horse waiting to happen. He just needs to recover from this excellent effort in tough conditions.

I really don't think you can judge Hillcrest on yesterday's run but your point about horses running big races close to the festival is valid most of the time.

Like others, I thought 28 days would have been okay for a young improver.

On the other hand, I'd have serious doubts about Wholestone today in the Midlands National.

Judging Hillcrest as if yesterday is his true form, would be the same as judging Skishkin. He was beaten by the second.

However, the way pundits were talking about Hillcrest in the lead up was "if he was trained by Willie Mullins he would be evens" etc. Future Gold Cup winner. As if he had stones in hand.

Stones? Nah, not even I thought that. I thought maybe 7lbs with the potential to find more but 7lbs would manifest itself as around 10 lengths over 3 miles and if he'd won that far some might suggest it was one of the performances of the week.

The whole idea of number-crunching [for me] is to keep things in perspective over the emotional and the eye-catching. (No patronising intended.)

Probably a bit left field, but Ahoy Senor actually ran a good race to finish second to Le Homme Presse given the rain came that day and his best form is on better going.

That was only his fifth or six run over fences from memory and I feel he is still a work in progress.

I heard concerns about how he would handle the track and looking at the Racing Post it says he was unfluent during his race.

He can come on and do better for the experience next season I think.

A bit premature to talk about a Gold Cup but I will watch his progress with interest next season.

Unfluent from RP a bit harsh I reckon, Marb. I thought he jumped pretty well, but made two poor ones with the one three out costing him quite a lot. He’s still wok in progress and coming along nicely.

Pertemps?

Currently off 150 over hurdles (148 chases).

Get him in off 145 or even less...

Last edited:
Stayers Hurdle, not Pertemps. It will be very winnable next year as I'd have to assess this year's as below average, Paisley Park way too close up.

Unfluent from RP a bit harsh I reckon, Marb. I thought he jumped pretty well, but made two poor ones with the one three out costing him quite a lot. He’s still wok in progress and coming along nicely.

Yeah was just going on what the RP said..I will watch the replay myself in a bit.

Ahoy a work in progress for sure.

Back