Cheltenham Ante Post Competition 2013-14 (The Alan Morgan Trophy)

Grey

Senior Jockey
Cheltenham Ante Post Competition 2013-14

This year's competition will start on Saturday next, 2 November. Once again Roddy and Grassy are putting up prizes and New Approach will do the scoring.

The main prize of £150 will be for the person whose ante post bets on the Festival make the most profit. The second prize of £50 will for the portfolio of bets with the highest notional value at the end of February, in other words the portfolio of bets which have shortened the most in price since being placed.

Tout Seul has put up a rather nice looking trophy for the main winner and I am also putting up £100 for the 'grey winter prize', to go to the best overall performer in this competition and DG's Ten To Follow competition.

Hold your fire until Saturday, any bets posted before then will be void.

The competition rules are set out below, to be printed and learned by heart.

Competition Rules

1. The competition will open for entries on Saturday 2 November and close on Friday 28 Feb. New entrants will be accepted at any time between these dates.

2. Two prizes will be awarded, one of £150 to the person whose bets generate the most winnings, and one of £50 to the person whose portfolio has the highest notional value on 28 Feb.

3. Participants will have a separate bank for each month of the competition as follows:

November - £1000
December - £1000
January - £1000
February - £2000

4. The bank for each month can only be used during the month to which it refers.

5. Bets can be placed on the ante post market for any race at the Cheltenham Festival with any bookmaker displayed on oddschecker.com. Bets on a horse "to win any race" at the Festival are also permitted

6. Only single or each way bets will be accepted; multiple and other types of bet are excluded.

7. The minimum bet size is 10% of the monthly bank, i.e. £100/£50ew in November, December and January and £200/£100ew in February.

8. The maximum amount allowed on any one horse in any one race is £1,500.

9. There is no limit on the number of horses that can be backed, but only ten will count for scoring purposes.

10. Participants can indicate on or before the cut-off date of 28 Feb which horses they want to include in their final portfolio, otherwise the ten most recently selected will be chosen by default.

11. If a horse is backed for more than one race, each will count as a separate "horse" for the purposes of rules 9, 10 and 13.

12. The winner of the main prize will be the person whose final portfolio of bets generates the highest winnings. Bets will be settled according to normal ante post rules, but only the winnings will be counted.

13. The secondary prize will go to the portfolio which on 1st March has the highest 'notional value'. This is the total sum one would need to wager, taking the best available odds on 1st March, to achieve the same potential winnings of each of the bets in the portfolio. (In simpler terms, bets on horses whose odds shorten gain value, while bets on drifters lose value).

14. The organisers will have the right to clarify, modify or add to the rules as they deem appropriate.

Last edited:
I'd like to echo trudij's post. Looking forward to this n thanks to all involved in organization, maintenance and prize giving.

I forgot to mention that Tout Seul is putting up a rather decent looking trophy for this as well.

attachment.php

My reason for putting up a trophy was to add a bit of tradition to a well run and popular annual competition. It is in that spirit that I suggest that it be named the Alan Morgan Trophy in remembrance of a man that made a great contribution to Talking Horses. The idea of a large number of people competing every year for The Alan Morgan Trophy would seem to be an appropriate tradition.
Could a moderator please amend the title of this thread?

I never knew Alan myself, but recall he was very-fondly remembered by all at TRF back in the day when I used to post there.

Seems like a capital idea to me. :cool:

Great competition and source to endless hours of entertainment for me.lets get it on!well done to the regular prize putter uppers!I love this time of year!

Art, if you can put up the list of previous-winners of the main comp, I'll arrange to get the thing engraved when it's ready for handover.

The first year we ran the competition, Nick, Tout Seul won the main prize and Trudij won the secondary prize. Last year it was you and Perpetual.

Albert Bartlett Novices Hurdle - Carraig Mor 25/1 (Bet365) 400 win - I know this wont count Grey even though it is November? Everything I read or hear about this horse - they'll have you believe he's a machine? It will be interesting to see his price after today's race.

Last edited:
Albert Bartlett Novices Hurdle - Carraig Mor 25/1 (Bet365) 400 win - I know this wont count Grey even though it is November? Everything I read or hear about this horse - they'll have you believe he's a machine? It will be interesting to see his price after today's race.

You're right, the competition starts tomorrow, Chef, and bets before then won't count.

There's no entry procedure, fonz, just put your bets up here. You have £1,000 to spend in November.

And yes, the comp starts today.

Back