Cheltenham Ante Post

I think I'm relying on Binocular now.

I did back Voy Por Ustedes after Denman's defeat last weekend, as I thought it might tempt some connections to go for the Gold Cup. Even if that's not the case, I think he's still the most likely winner of the Ryanair.

So far

Catch Me 125/1
Sublimity 16/1
Won in the Dark 60/1
Golden Silver 30/1

Looking to build on these in the coming weeks

What have you backed Catch Me for Granger? Champion or World... probably more likely to run in the Champion, but even more likely to miss both for Aintree... I fancy him a bit too.

I think I'm relying on Binocular now.

I did back Voy Por Ustedes after Denman's defeat last weekend, as I thought it might tempt some connections to go for the Gold Cup. Even if that's not the case, I think he's still the most likely winner of the Ryanair.

VPU wouldn't stay the Gold Cup trip even if he were in it. He'll run in either the Ryanair or the Champion Chase, and surely all reason points to the Ryanair.

What have you backed Catch Me for Granger? Champion or World... probably more likely to run in the Champion, but even more likely to miss both for Aintree... I fancy him a bit too.

World unfortunately. Not the most positive signs from Eog. Will have to wait and see. If it comes up soft he is still a smashing price at 64/1 (betfair) for champ hdl

World unfortunately. Not the most positive signs from Eog. Will have to wait and see. If it comes up soft he is still a smashing price at 64/1 (betfair) for champ hdl

There are certainly those I fancy less... I've got a feeling he'll go for the Champion, why else do you have a horse like this?

He is a horse that i like alot. has looked very good this season thus far and his race in Navan done little to discourage me. Definitely has a big race in him, Not exactly a vintage renewal of the World Hurdle, the only question for me is if he will get up the hill

VPU wouldn't stay the Gold Cup trip even if he were in it. He'll run in either the Ryanair or the Champion Chase, and surely all reason points to the Ryanair.

Alan King has told the Sporting Life that the main aim is the Ryanair, even though the QM entry still stands.

I meant connections of other horses could be tempted by the Gold Cup, not those of Voy Por Ustedes.

I'm very keen for Catch Me to run in the Champion Hurdle. Over 2m at Cheltenham I would have him a clear fav of the Irish horses. It should the usual good to soft on the Tuesday. I think it's more likely he will run in the Champion than he wont.

Last edited:
I think he is likely to run in the champion as well. Wont be running in the stayers, wouldnt get home in a horse box over the trip. Could well run a big race in the champion all the same.

Brave Inca, Sublimity, Muirhead, Harchibald (ground dependent), Jered (ditto), Muirhead, Won In The Dark (ditto three)...

On genuine soft ground (highly unlikely surely), he has genuine place claims for me.

SkyBet Best Of The Irish

9/4 Sublimity
7/2 Brave Inca
11/2 Muirhead
6/1 Hurricane Fly
6/1 Jered
7/1 Sizing Europe
7/1 Harchibald
8/1 Won In The Dark
12/1 Catch Me
14/1 Jazz Messanger
14/1 River Liane
20/1 Ebazyian
25/1 Hardy Eustace

I was too opinionated in my above post but taking a look at the above betting:

The front three I would respect but none of them are bomb proof. I would quickly put a line through Hurricane Fly, Jered and Sizing Europe. Harchibald has been discussed to death, your either with him or against him. Won In The Dark I also respect as he is certainly on an upward curve. 12/1 Catch Me & 8/1 Won In The Dark look solid e/w bets in this market

Fair enough, Gearoid.

With genuine cut in the ground, 12/1 is probably a pretty fair price alright and I would certainly have him shorter than the likes of Harchibald, Jered, Won In The Dark etc. On good or good to soft ground, I would make him about a 25/1 shot in that market.

Of course a large element of Catch Me's 'big' price is that he probably won't turn up at Cheltenham unless it is soft, as connections appear to favour Aintree.

9/4 Sublimity
7/2 Brave Inca
11/2 Muirhead
6/1 Hurricane Fly
6/1 Jered
7/1 Sizing Europe
7/1 Harchibald
8/1 Won In The Dark
12/1 Catch Me
14/1 Jazz Messanger
14/1 River Liane
20/1 Ebazyian
25/1 Hardy Eustace

aaah.... Gillespie could get an idea for another new race here... a Champion Hurdle consolation event.

Back