Cheltenham Day 1 - What Are You Backing?

Dysart Dynamo
Queens Brook
Gaelic Warrior
Fred in the NHC. Very worried about Ontheropes mind.

Ultima Ill go through tomorrow evening.
Arkle is a nightmare.

Dysart Dynamo, obvs!

And Gaelic Warrior.

Brave Seasca ew in the Arkle. Appreciate It in the CH. Frodon should place too.

I want to come out on “damage limitation” terms on Day 1.

Think Edwardstone is a sure-fire drifter in the Arkle - especially if Dysart Dynamo wins the Supreme, and the money comes for whatever horses Mullins has left in the race.

Good.

Edwardstone is being grossly under-estimated in many quarters, imo, and I quite fancy backing him at around 9/2 rather than 9/4.

If that pair go in, I’ll roar myself hoarse for Honeysuckle to close a nice ante-post treble.

I’ll wait for final decs in the Ultima, but have small marker bets down at fancy prices on Belargus, One More Fleurie and Mint Condition.

Think Farouk D’Alene can make his presence felt in the NH Chase if he goes there.

Last edited:
Have AP positions on
Jonbon
Honeysuckle
Telmesomethinggirl
Gaelic Warrior

I’ll find it hard to let Frodon go unbacked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Supreme - DD (been saying as much since its last win)
Arkle - Edwardstone (backed at 10/1 laid off at 3s)
CH - Zanahiyr 33/1; Tommy's Oscar 100/1 & 66/1
Mares - Concertista 14/1
Boodles - Gaelic Warrior 5/1
NHC - Vanillier 8/1

Can't be unhappy with those prospects.

Supreme - Constitution Hill backed from 8/1 on down also final leg in a couple of doubles.
Arkle - Small each way on Riviere D'etel at 6/1
CH - Zanahiyr 7/1 (w/o fav)
Mares - Tellmesomethinggirl 14/1 backed last March. Will top up on the day, expect a drift.
NHC - Vanillier 12/1 backed after his first run over fences.

My strategy at the Festival is always to get in early and nearer the day I will top up and also protect (first 2023 bet has already been placed.) I have Jonbon, Queens Brook and Run Wild Fred in trixies and L15's

Last edited:
I dutched Constitutiom Hill and Jonbon @13/8 weeks ago and backed Honeysuckle several times at odds against months ago from 11/4 down. No interest in the Arkle or The Fred Winter....The expected gamble on Jonbon is ground dependant..wouldn't want it too soft

I have KILCRUIT at 16s and JONBON
EDWARDSTONE 9/2 in a double with TELLMESOMETHINGGIRL 4/1
APPRECIATE IT 8/1
ONTHEROPES 25/1
OSCAR ELITE 16s for the ultima if it gets in.
And a speculative bet on FEIGH 33/1 in the boodles (stablemate of gaelic warrior)

I dutched Constitutiom Hill and Jonbon @13/8 weeks ago and backed Honeysuckle several times at odds against months ago from 11/4 down. No interest in the Arkle or The Fred Winter....The expected gamble on Jonbon is ground dependant..wouldn't want it too soft

Well done on getting 11/4. The best price available last August was 7/4.

He’s right HW. I have Honeysuckle in live multis at 11/4 from 11th August with Betfair

Supreme - No idea really. I was throwing free fivers and tenners at the race in all directions for months so have big prices about the main protagonists but don’t really have a clear position and for whichever one wins, there’ll be a plethora of losing bets, albeit only free ones with football teams in multis. Jonbon is my biggest return, despite have Kilcruit at 16s when he drifted so I’ll probably top up on Jonbon as the bigger price of the three

Arkle - Edwardstone. I posted somewhere in here how much I fancied him to beat Third Time Lucki at Sandown and started taking double figure prices for the Arkle before that race. Along with Telmesomethinggirl & Run Wild Fred, the horse that keeps waking me up to check the internet and make sure nothing has happened to him

Ultima - No firm position but I do like Corach Rambler

Champion Hurdle - Honeysuckle

Mares - I posted in the ante post thread that I’ve long thought this race offers the best value and have been backing Telmesomethinggirl at all prices since September. The biggest was 16/1 which was incredible straight after she was beaten at Punchestown when conceding weight in a race unlikely to suit.

Fred Winter - I’m firmly in the Tide Turns camp from before his run in the Red Mills but I’m scared shitless of Gaelic Warrior so have taken out savers though admittedly after all the nice prices have gone. Britzka at 14/1 is my final arra at this race.

NH Chase - Run Wild Fred. I was surprised he was as big as 12/1 throughout the summer as he was always going to be eligible for this having not won as a novice last season and the race looked sure to be perfect for him. Doubts are creeping in now though as to how he’ll take to the course and I can see him running well again without quite winning.

My Tuesday positions are great but the rest of the week is truly dire by comparison

Last edited:
I am a rather large (for me) ~10 points win into Dysart Dynamo. The outcome of this race will determine the momentum of my week.

He’s right HW. I have Honeysuckle in live multis at 11/4 from 11th August with Betfair

Yeah, I went searching after discussing with a buddy in August and 7/4 was best available. He took it. (Not on Betfair). Well done at 11/4.

Not as good as RWF at 12s.

Last edited:
Honeysuckle was readily available 3/1 for a long time after she won last year so I was slow. As far as Betfair goes almost 10,000 pounds was matched between 9/2 and 11/4.
long before I woke up.

Wish I had a Grand on Fred at 12/1 I'd be out of there for 1500 quid if I could and let the other 1100 or so run....Must have a good chance g/l if you're on

I am a rather large (for me) ~10 points win into Dysart Dynamo. The outcome of this race will determine the momentum of my week.

10 Grand? is that all?.we know you can afford it:) I'm taking my chances that we don't get a downpour and having my 10 grand:) on Jonbon before JP backs it and the avalanche of money comes for him

Good luck with DD

Last edited:
Just a heads up 3 x £5 free bets available on Paddy power for the first 3 days of the festival, need to opt in, should be in promotions.
Think Skybet are doing stake back as cash up to £10 if you don't back the winner of the first race on Tuesday

Just a heads up 3 x £5 free bets available on Paddy power for the first 3 days of the festival, need to opt in, should be in promotions.
Think Skybet are doing stake back as cash up to £10 if you don't back the winner of the first race on Tuesday

It was £20 with skybet last year so I assumed it would be this year so if Jonbon loses I will only get a tenner back.

DD in the supreme

Edwardstone in the arkle.

Hadn't given the mares much thought, but would have thought stormy Ireland should be fav, but must be missing something

Sent from my SM-J415FN using Tapatalk

Some w.hill specials.

Irish to win all hurdle races 40s into 25s.
Jonbon 1st CH 2nd 10/1
Jonbon to beat CH 5/4
CH,Jonbon and DD to finish 1,2,3 in any order 11/4

Skybet
DD and TELLMESOMETHINGGIRL both to win 16/1

A sporting bet win lucky 31 on these. I think Epatante is more likely to place than win but I think she is overpriced and I want a sporting bet in the race so I will include her.

1.30 Constitution Hill
2.10 Edwardstone
2.50 Tea Clipper
3.30 Epatante
4.50 Gaellic Warrior

Last edited:
Sneaky ones:

Gabynako - Arkle
Ben Dundee - Ultima
Heaven Help Us - Mares

Others have been discussed to death.

Back