Cheltenham Day 2 - What Are You Backing?

By accident or design, CPS should provide the tow Energumeme needs, and I'll be looking to better the 7/2 already taken.

From my missive to brothers and mates last night:

Ballymore - Well my Dysart Dynamo-Sir Gerhard double went well south and I have no wish to get involved with the latter here at odds-on. I’ll have a think about I Am Maximus (16/1) given how well the yard is going.

Broadway - I’m actually quite keen on Beacon Edge (16/1 taken) for this race. There is plenty of hype about some of the others but he was by far the best of them over hurdles and has been brought along quietly over fences, presumably with the aim of peaking here. A couple of falls in his profile isn’t ideal but he’s the class horse in the race.

Coral Cup - I find myself really struggling with this race. Normally I have three or four that I feel quite strongly about but it looks like the Irish have gone full tonto when it comes to plotting up novices. This race is chock full of unknown quantities. That said, I’ve taken Call Me Lord (33/1) who looks a more conventional plot. The jockey has been out for a long time and has had a few quiet rides to get his eye back in. This is his first ride of the meeting and his only one on the day. I reckon they are looking to welcome him back with a big win. At any rate, I’m willing to back that hunch and the horse is certainly well in on its old form and it’s not that long ago it was rated 160.I’ll probably back my top two as well [Champagne Gold & Drop The Anchor] and I’m also hugely respectful of Fastorslow’s potential.

Champion Chase - I’m on Shishkin ante-post. I took 11/10 the morning of the match race with Energumene and expect him to confirm that form. I have to confess to being worried about Chacun Pour Soi, though. His very best form in Ireland is hugely impressive but I have to ask why Townend is sticking with Energumene. That said, at 5s or thereabouts, Chacun has to be worth a saver. I’ll probably also back Politologue (50/1). Nicholls has been playing down his chances yet he still turns up here with a shout on his old form.

X-Country - This race has never floated my proverbial and I can’t see me getting involved.

Grand Annual - If Global Citizen’s run against Tommy’s Oscar over hurdles at Haydock can be taken at face value and if he can translate that ability to fences at this track, he is huge value at 50/1. I’m on at the price. Embittered was favourite for this last year and hadn’t been asked a question when he fell. He looks like he’s been put away since then. I also like the look of For Pleasure based on its hurdling ability. It ran in the Champion Hurdle last season and was an outside fancy for some. He could be very well handicapped, as could Gumball on the pick of his hurdling form. Elixir Du Nutz carries the owner’s first colours and has similar credentials and I’m curious that Junior rides rather than Sky Pirate for Senior*. Thyme Whyte is the other one I quite like. It’s unusual that I find myself not so keen on the Irish in this but they’ve no doubt got a bandit or two under the radar.
(* since been told Scholfield has an arrangement with SP's owner)

Bumper - This race is pretty much guesswork for me but I took American Mike at 7/1 back in November following Simon Rowlands’s assessment of his performance. I also recently took Houlanbatordechais at a big price on a hunch – first time up for Mullins in this race. That usually means he rates them.

(Essayed just to annoy Slim :))

Last edited:
keen most of the way round and sluiced up. some tool.

jumped much better today than last time. just needed a decent lead.

Superb. Loved him last year and had him in the bumper. Future chaser potential Gold Cup, fingers crossed.

Bravemansgame out of race. Why the f*ck did they water? It would not have been so bad if they hadn’t

Bravemansgame out of race. Why the f*ck did they water? It would not have been so bad if they hadn’t

Yes, they knew it was going to rain today. Nicholls just answered a short and sharp “no” when asked if he understood them watering last night.

The ground has majorly changed. The horse is a talent and is a young horse. Why bottom him on the ground when you have an option of Aintree. I fully agree with him and I would be utterly fuming about the watering given the forecast.

Nicky would never do that:whistle: Never like telling a trainer what to do when he has put the welfare of the horse first......Live to fight another day

Back