Cheltenham Day 2

Guest_

At the Start
Aside from the races with threads already....

Coral Cup looks wide open....like the look of the unbeaten Great Endeavour. Should handle the ground, in on a nice weight here and is a decent e/w price. Psycho has had his chances though I suppose he is open to further improvement over this trip. Of the Irish I think Larkwing and Ninetieth Minute are the most interesting.

I do not trust Alexander Severus in the juvenile handicap, and of the Irish I think Flag Of Honour is much more interesting and reliable and at a decent price. Overall I think Miss Sarenne is the best bet...really impressed with her up to her slip up at the last and had decent form in France. She is open to loads of improve and well the trainer/jockey combination couldnt be in better form.

Coral Cup looks wide open....like the look of the unbeaten Great Endeavour. Should handle the ground, in on a nice weight here and is a decent e/w price. Psycho has had his chances though I suppose he is open to further improvement over this trip. Of the Irish I think Larkwing and Ninetieth Minute are the most interesting.

I do not trust Alexander Severus in the juvenile handicap, and of the Irish I think Flag Of Honour is much more interesting and reliable and at a decent price. Overall I think Miss Sarenne is the best bet...really impressed with her up to her slip up at the last and had decent form in France. She is open to loads of improve and well the trainer/jockey combination couldnt be in better form.

Eager to get over a bad dose of 2nd itus after today:mad:. Am sweet on Flag of Honour (very unlucky in a blanket finish at L'town last time out). Got to stick with Dunguib in the bumper. Ambobo could be interesting in the Coral Cup

I’ve gone a wee bit mental for Wednesday…

If Wichita Lineman comes out again unaffected by Tuesday’s win it should hack up but I’ve gone for Nine De Sivola. A bit of lateral thinking here: the yard produced Hot Weld for a 33/1 surprise a few years ago and had stablemate Poker De Sivola upsides highly-rated Kornati Kid last time. Nine De Sivola was also 4/1f for a decent Class 2 3m5f h’cap the time before last and then had a decent break. I have a few concerns about a woman aboard but she has ridden a few winners and the stable is in very good form.

I’ve gone for Mikael D’Haguenet in the hope it can find enough to beat Diamond Harry. First fancied ride of the day for Ruby.

Nicholls’s What A Friend goes into this with the highest official rating yet Ruby is allowed off to ride Cooldine. ’Nuff said.

I’m fascinated to see Well Chief in this and was tempted to back it without Master Minded. I opted instead for 6/1 Twist Magic (w/o the fav).

I didn’t do the figures for this but I knew I had Pierrot Lunaire well rated on his backend form. The course might not suit but Ruby has turned down offers to ride a few of the Irish and you don’t often get 22/1 about a Ruby runner here.

The pattern emerging for this is for unexposed classy juveniles, who should really be running in the Triumph, to take advantage of very lenient marks. Again, I didn’t do all the form but reckoned Bruslini, reportedly highly regarded and well backed on his three runs so far, is likely to end up running off much higher marks than the 121 he’s off here. The 33/1 to 5 places was a bonus.

I reckon they must have had this in mind for Quel Esprit for a long time for them to have kept him for bumpers this year and although you can never tell with Mullins’s jockey bookings, Ruby can hardly be regarded as a negative.

Five winners for Ruby doesn’t seem impossible.

I am going for Massinis Maguire e/w in the RSA and Franchoek e/w in the Coral Cup and I fancy Quinola des Obeaux in the bumper :cool:

Diamond Harry - because I think people were writing him off against a strong challenge that hasn't actually materialised.

Cooldine - 'coz Galileo told me to.

Twist Magic w/o Fav - because it is a field full of rags.

Alexander Severus - because French flat beats NH in every conceivable way.

Rite of Passage - because generally flat beats NH in every conceivable way.

All to stakes appropriate for a spectacle not a sport.

Tomorrows placepot/Jackpot;

Cant Buy Time/Niche Market
Mikael D'HAgeneut/Karabak/Diamond Harry
Cooldine/Casey Jones/Massinis Maguire
Master Minded
Psycho/Great Endeavour
Alexander Severus/Amore Mio
Rite Of Passage/Henry King

I think Cooldine is the bet of the day. Mikael will take a lot of beating in the ballymore, a horse i like at this stage in his career, i have him backed ante post but i will be backing the mullins horse tomorrow as a saver.

Recently my significant punts have gone awry but on Wednesday I'm hoping things will change. I have not done much studying of form for this Festival and am generally staking low. The first of 3 exceptions is Ambobo in the Coral.
This is a horse that is a little short of the top echelon but is generally highly tried. Both over hurdles and fences he normally carries great chunks of weight often in conditions races. Tomorrow he has 10.2 on his back and an excellent young Irish Claimer. He is back on a course where he does pretty well and I well remember him looking superb when he beat Brewster her in Jan. 2005. The RP comment on that race is as follows-

"AMBOBO is Flat-bred through and through, and was thoroughly unimposing in a the preliminaries in a field of proper jumping types, but he had graduated from the Flat to win four out of five over hurdles in France and clearly has an engine. Never worse than fourth, he was plainly going best of the leaders as they headed down the hill, and having jumped to the front two out he quickly established a three- or four-length lead which he never looked like relinquishing. He will return for the SunAlliance and looks attractively priced at 12-1 with Totesport and Paddy Power"

In that year's RSA he didn't last 3 miles.Going chasing he was back here last year going well when hitting the last and coming in 6th against Finger on the Pulse.
At the age of 9 he has not had a lot of racing in recent years and with 10.st. on his back tomorrow I can see a very good performance. He will appreciate the cut in the ground. I have got small amounts at better prices but have taken the best available today waiting on the ground and the quality of the jockey.
2nd highest RPR.

Get in there my son!!!!

After a good day for me today all downhill tomorrow I assume

Diamond Harry if in Challow form

Gone to Lunch and Massini's Maguire - I think G to L might grind the non stayers .If Cooldine stays I expect he will go very close

Chief Yeoman in Venetia's best festival race ew

Master Minded obviously but Briareus may well make the frame - and if Well Chief runs a good race that would be great to see

Miss Sarenne

Rite of Passage or Quel Esprit

I haven't looked at the 4 miler - why this tedious race opens the second day I cannot imagine - why can't the Ballymore stay first ?

Last edited:
Cant Buy Time in the first.
Karabak in the second.
CaseyJones in running in the next -Massinis possible back to lay material.
Petit Robin ew at 20s.
Not sure about the Coral Cup and the last 2 races are horrible from a punting perspective.

After an awesome day for me just a few bets tommorow:

Ninetieth Minute - improving and progressive sort from a shrewd yard, one of the few in the contest in the handicap.

Ronaldo Des Mottes - trainer left plenty to work on last time out apparently and had been impressive at Sandown prior to that.

Already backed: Lodge Lane at 40's and Mikael D'Haguenet.

Backed Massini's Maguire early ante post but unsure will get the trip and jumping sometimes erratic. Tempted to lay off but will probably let it run in a competitive race.

All stickied up for Wednesday. If anyone can find an RSA Chase thread for this season (ot wants to start one) feel free.

Edit: never mind; found it.

I'm a big Diamond Harry fan, and depending on the price, will back him. I also like Mikael DH and Mad Max, so will consider laying Karabak, who I think should be at best third favourite for this.

Agree with DO about Pierrot Lunaire. Only possible concern track.

Have backed Cooldine but am considering laying off, due to last day's hard race and the fact he hasn't travelled over well. Others that appeal are The Market Man (I like him off a break), and Gone to Lunch, though the 9 year old stat worrying.

Well Chief E/W in the Queen Mum. Also, both him and Briareus in the Market without MM.

I'm a big Diamond Harry fan, and depending on the price, will back him. I also like Mikael DH and Mad Max, so will consider laying Karabak, who I think should be at best third favourite for this.

Agree with DO about Pierrot Lunaire. Only possible concern track.

Have backed Cooldine but am considering laying off, due to last day's hard race and the fact he hasn't travelled over well. Others that appeal are The Market Man (I like him off a break), and Gone to Lunch, though the 9 year old stat worrying.

Well Chief E/W in the Queen Mum. Also, both him and Briareus in the Market without MM.

I genuinely would not worry about the hard race he had the last day,I think he needed a run like that after the campaign he has had. Like I said previously the fact that Mullins was happy to bring Cooldine for a schooling session to Leopardstown so soon was a big positive. Interesting to see does the trainer mention any travel problems.

Two winners yesterday, so here goes with today,,,,

COE is running well in decent staying races of late and with a good jockey looks solid.

My worry about Diamond Harry is not is appearance or ability but how his jumping will stand up in a fast run and competitive contest. For that reason I look elsewhere and have been very impressed with the mighty QUWETWO. He jumps hurdles really well for a big horse and could be worth a bet for he clearly has tons of ability. How much ability, I dont know!

Have been a big fan of GONE TO LUNCH for the last couple of years and hope he can win this. A bit worried that he hasn't run since the new year, would have mich preferred to see him race again as he seems to thrive on racing rather than holidays. His form is good enough and McCoy has now worked out that pressing on is better than holding him up. Not sure that Cooldine has been jumping well enough and can see him making a few mistakes.

MASTER MINDED

Gone for a huge one here in TISFREETDREAM. Has run his best two races at Cheltenham, didnt get home after running a big race here over 3miles on new years day. Out the handicap but what the hell, could just have a squeak at mahoosive odds.

RONALDO DES MOTTES impressed me at Sandown when things got tough a couple of runs ago, showed speed and courage to get out of being bumped about. Will stand him in good stead in a race like this.

Haven't got the first damn clue about the bumper! Small each way on DOUBLE DASH.

Galileo,

He mentioned something on the morning line I think yesterday, something like he didnt travel great either (referring to CV), but he was more himself quicker than CV was, and he did say he was perfectly happy with him yesterday morning. Good to see him so open.

Fair point about the schooling session.

int he coral cup I have taken to Pouvoir, a soemwhat forgotten horse. he was very impressive in the Relkeel hurdle in 2007, before getting a touch of a leg. he had a reappearance run in February, and was entitled to finish out the back. Alan king states he will be a chaser, but no point going novice chasing so late in the season, so why not collect a handicap at the festival at decent odds. youd have to say, without the injury he would of been towards the head of the market for the world hurdle. a crackign each way bet today i believe.

13/8 for Master Minded to win under 13 lengths looks attractive, Ted Walsh made a throwaway comment on the morning line about McCoys only 'mistake' (not the word he used) when he rode him being that he asked him to do a bit more than he needed rather than win in his own time - the biggest danger being that he may well beat this lot in his own time by more than 13 lengths! I get the feeling Ruby won't be getting a whip ban on this one today...

Back