Jewson Novice Chase Listed 2m 4f
Noble Prince 7
Captain Chris 7 ?
Wishfull Thinking 8
Loosen My Load 7
Mr Gardner 8

Selection: 1) Captain Chris ? 2) Noble Prince 3) Wishfull Thinking

Pertemps Final Handicap Hurdle Listed 3m
Unlike several high profile handicaps do not be put off those carrying bigger weights.

No Selection

Ryanair Chase Grade 2 2m 5f
Terrific race in prospect. Previous Cheltenham winners win this. Older horses do fine. Concentrate on first four in betting. Kalahari King has been my long-term fancy for this but preference goes to Poquelin.

Shortlist:
Poquelin 8
Alberta’s Run 10
Golden Silver 9
Kalahari King 10
J’y Vole 8
Gauvain 9

Selection:
1) Poquelin 2) Kalahari King e.w. 3) J’y Vole

Ladbrokes World (formerly Stayers’) Hurdle Grade 1 (4yo+) 3m
Steer clear of 5yos (no 5yo has won this) and those aged in double figures. 6, 7, 8 and 9yos are all capable of winning this. No Irish-trained winner for 15 years. The Long Walk and Cleeve Hurdles are key guides. Oppose those who race prominently. Big Bucks again looks to hold a fine chance, although Grands Crus is making rapid improvement to challenge him. Mourad makes solid each-way appeal and it is possible Zaynar will find improvement.

Shortlist:

Big Bucks 8
Grands Crus 6
Mourad 6
Karabak 8
Zaynar 6
Fiveforthree 9

Selection: 1) Big Bucks 2) Mourad e.w. 3) Grands Crus 4) Zaynar

NR on sporting life?

Am hoping today will see David Pipe in the winners enclosure with Charteaux or Junior, or preferably both!

Interested that Ladbrokes are opposing BB at 5/4, hoping he wins again although he's not the best horse for winning distances!!

Last edited:
I think Barwell Bridge is the wrong price and if he hadn't run at Kempton would be single figures for his run today. In that last race Maguire showed why he's not a hold up jock and the combination of him being so far off the pace and the nature of the track meant he never got into it. I expect a much better showing today at too big a price.

Last edited:
No bets today. No point having one just for the sake of it and after the last two days I'm pleased nothing takes my fancy. I'll just watch and enjoy today.

Askkazar could be a surprise package in the WH, both Grand Crus and Ashkazar won over 3m at Cheltenham in January on same going, Ashkazar won in a time 5 seconds faster carrying 8 lbs extra. At the price (have seen 40-1 on offer this morning) a great each way bet.

Last edited:
I've been waiting for Saddler's Storm to pitch up in a staying handicap all year. My one doubt about today is that his primary target may be at Fairyhouse on Easter Monday, though I've had a go at 12's with the best amateur jockey in Ireland or England on his back.

Wishful Thinking is a good thing in the first - love the connections and this horse has done nothing wrong!! Great value at 100/30:cool:

I had to watch this one on a laptop but I presume that was Carberry acting the clown again? His cockiness at Cheltenham time and again is hard to understand.

Not spot on - Just didn't get there. He was beaten four lengths and was never getting there after Carberry got after him from the turn. We should be congratulating the winning jockey on a very good ride from the front.

Son Amix was my e/way nap of the meeting and I won a fair bit on the place but hats off to Buenna Vista what a Cheltenham horse he's turned out to be :adore:

No doubt guided by the bouncy spirit of his past owner, the ebullient, colourful Miss Jean Broadhurst, sadly missed as a real character of the parade ring. Fabulous display of speed and energetic accuracy by the 10 y.o. Sorry I didn't think of him as being able to repeat the dose at 10 - but by heck, what a lovely horse he is. Loves the firmer going and 'the sun on his back' according to connections.

What a thrill for young Conor O'Farrell - he gave all credit to BUENA VISTA schoolmastering him round, but it was good he didn't interfere with the horse, and just let him use his speed and power. One for the Brits!

Last edited:
Jy Vole gets well beaten here in my honest opinion.
Travelled like the best horse in the race but she never, ever settled. You rarely see that in a NH race. And I'm saying that having backed the winner. Disappointed as I think she would have won relatively comfortably (conjecture, I know).

Back