Cheltenham Day One

del boy

Senior Jockey
Somewhere to discuss all the days bets and events.

I am finding it hard to find anything i really want to back.

I fancy a few outsiders. I dont like all this talk about Cousin Vinny not travelling over well. So its a race im not going to go mad on, might have a small wager on Merdemit.

Onto the second race, the Arkle, cant really see any of these being superstars in the future, i will back Forpaddytheplasterer in the hope that the hill will blunt others finishing toe when he is staying on.

The Will Hill race is wide open, i like nenuphar Collonges in it to be honest, wil have an each way bet on the horse, think it is one of the better bets of the day.

The Champion Hurdle is a race to be watched. I cant have Binocular at all, for a number of reasons. Its been debated out at this stage, wel see tomorrow. I am on Brave Inca to place at 8s, and have took a few quid win today. Would LOVE IT, LOVE IT if he won!!

Onto the Enda Bolger Benefit cross country chase, it looks between his, Lami has been talked up by everyone, including Frank Berry, i wouldnt be at all surpised to see Garde Champetre outbattle him up the hill.

Finally the mares race, im not too pushed on anything, word has it the fav is very useful, i know Martin likes her! I wouldnt discount United or Chomba Womba, and it will probably be a watching brief for me!!

I have messed about with some stats and trends etc, something i never take much notice about, and have done a shortlist for tomorrows races. Might do some version of a placepot on them;

Race 1:
Aachen
Go Native
Kempes
Merdemit
(Michael Filps and Red Maloney Nearly made cut)

Race 2:
Calgary Bay
Imsingingtheblues
Forpaddytheplasterer
Golden Silver

Race 3:
Nenuphar Collonges
Maljimar
The Saywer
Patsy Hall

Race 4:
Brave Inca
Ebaziyan
Harchibald

Race 5:
Garde Champetre
Lami

Race 6:
United
Chomba Womba
Quevega

I know there is a lot of selections, i havent really had time to narrow it down further, but i would be AMAZED if i dont have all the winners there..........and about 5 of the Trios correct.

Just to say that the stats part above arent my own fancies, they are based on a set of stats i got for cheltenham. Im just curious as to how they will do.

supreme
very keen on red moloney do like aachen though

arkle tough not very strong last year i picked out tidal bay as it can stay further, this time maybe paddy at 10s or singing the blues at 8s or............. bloody cant decide.

wiiie hill handy according to john really decent horse, ran really well in the best rsa for a long time also miss mitch.

champion hurdle
really hope binocular is the real deal no money on him but i hope thereis a superstar there. Like ch 5/1 w/o binocular

L'Ami gets the LUMP treatment tomorrow. No major opinions on any other race. Would love Binocular to win the Champion, so hopefully not too much rain falls.

Would also love to see the proverbial Bridesmaid, Forpaddydeplasterer, get his head up in the Arkle. Agree with you del boy, i think he'll be done for toe and have to settle for place money again. :surrender:

My main bet for tomorrow is Brave Inca to place at 13/2.

I also have so far ..
Binocular
Cousin Vinny\Torpichen
Imsinginetc\forpadyetc\Kalaharietc
Chomba Womba\United

Just cannot wait for tomorrow. Holding all bets now from here on in to see what the weather does.

Sounds like a plan.

I'm pretty sweet on Torphichen in the Supreme, especially on soft ground. Have backed Copper Bleu E/W as well.

Of the Irish horses in the Arkle, Made In Taipan is the forgotten horse and I could see him finishing best of the Irish.

Like the look of Cailin Alainn in the William Hill Chase as well.

Probably the wisest thing you will read here all day

Without doubt it's what I should do..Still it's either impatience or stupidity that has me dipping in and out of Betfair all evening:lol: My nap for tomorrow..United in the Mares race..sure aren't United going to win the lot this season:D:D

The more you read, the less you know so the more you read - and then your eyeballs fall out! I am totally exhausted - crib-biting badly and the OH tells me his nerves are making him box walk - and we don't even have a fecking runner.

What do we think of the William Hill Chase? Could not trust the favourite at all...should be in the 4 miler. Like the look of Simon.

What do we think of the William Hill Chase? Could not trust the favourite at all...should be in the 4 miler. Like the look of Simon.

Given a favourable mention by Tom Segal this morning, wouldn't be to too far away on a going day. Like the look of Possol myself..:whistle:

I was disappointed with Maljimar`s run in the Paddy Power but i`m willing to give him another chance. Win and place, with more on the place as the trip worries me.

Last edited:
Anyone give a chance to Cailin Alainn? Despite the falls around Cheltenham? Glenfiin Captain has won since, ground probably ok for her. I like Nenuphar Collonges back at 3m too!

Kangaroo Court in the Supreme. Really impressive at Doncaster, and again travelled strongly until not staying at Ascot last time. So taking a chance on him. Wouldnt be surprised to see Shoreacres run really well too.

Tatenen in the Arkle. Was impressed by him in November and he battled really well in that Irish race, though struggling to find a reason why he should turn around the form at the weights I think he will be ridden more aggressively today and can make his Cheltenham experience and courage count.

Very disappointed that Lothian Falcon is a non runner here, and can now see Wichita Lineman pick his way round before hitting the front in the straight.

Whiteoak has form good enough to just about do the job in the Champion Hurdle once the 7lb allowance is taken into account. I see her, Binocular, Crack Away Jack and Ashkazar filling the places ahead of Celestial Halo,Katchit and Osana in a bunch finish!

The Cross Country seems even more devoid of class than usual, a poor contest to my eyes. Keep coming back to Garde Champetre despite his task at the weights seeming to be a tough one against the horses he has raced against in the past. His winning knack in these type of races may count for more.

Chomba Womba in the Mares race for me, so long as she his held onto for longer than was the case last year. I am prepared to forgive her being turned over at Doncaster last time which came at a time when the trainer sent out a few undercooked after a christmas break such as Punchestowns.

Well thats what I think !

Kangaroo Court in the Supreme. Really impressive at Doncaster, and again travelled strongly until not staying at Ascot last time. So taking a chance on him. Wouldnt be surprised to see Shoreacres run really well too.

Tatenen in the Arkle. Was impressed by him in November and he battled really well in that Irish race, though struggling to find a reason why he should turn around the form at the weights I think he will be ridden more aggressively today and can make his Cheltenham experience and courage count.

Very disappointed that Lothian Falcon is a non runner here, and can now see Wichita Lineman pick his way round before hitting the front in the straight.

Whiteoak has form good enough to just about do the job in the Champion Hurdle once the 7lb allowance is taken into account. I see her, Binocular, Crack Away Jack and Ashkazar filling the places ahead of Celestial Halo,Katchit and Osana in a bunch finish!

The Cross Country seems even more devoid of class than usual, a poor contest to my eyes. Keep coming back to Garde Champetre despite his task at the weights seeming to be a tough one against the horses he has raced against in the past. His winning knack in these type of races may count for more.

Chomba Womba in the Mares race for me, so long as she his held onto for longer than was the case last year. I am prepared to forgive her being turned over at Doncaster last time which came at a time when the trainer sent out a few undercooked after a christmas break such as Punchestowns.

Well thats what I think !

I like Kangaroo Court too...drop to 2 miles should suit.

Back