Cheltenham December Meeting

Grasshopper

Senior Jockey
I've nothing much to say at this stage, other than the Bula/International is a desperate affair this year.

Fantastic Lady is the bet in the December Gold Cup.

She's looks a progressive mare in good form and Zambella franked the form of Fantastic Lady's last win really well last time.

The fact she stays 3M means they can ride her prominently on Saturday.

Last edited:
I have thoughts:

Tracker mare Fortunes Melody entered in the mares handicap chase on the Friday. Harry Fry, just why? She needs to go right handed imo.

Gary Moore has Nassalam entered up twice, on the Friday over 3m2 (presumably to get his mark down) and also the big handicap on the Saturday despite clearly not being that at home at the track in the Paddy Power. He's a flat track horse.

I've backed Fugitif in the December Gold Cup. He's also entered up in the 2miler on the Friday. I don't mind if he goes for the latter, I'll back him anyway.

The DHC looks a bit meh, I really really don't want the ******* Skelton's to win another big Saturday race.

Fantastic Lady is the bet in the December Gold Cup.

Yeah, I get it. Form seems to stack up and I've had another look at the race with the expectation that Fugitif goes for the shorter option:

Midnight River - fav's chance but urgh, Skelton
Il Ridoto - Always too short in any market since that run at Newbury last season. Not a strong finisher over this trip
Stolen Silver - He was poor in the PP, not well handicapped
War Lord - Can see his chance but but he was poor in the Haldon. I couldn't get involved
The Mullins thing - 152 is eye watering.
Simply the Betts/Coconut Splash/Deyrann de Carjac- This trio never win
Frero Ballbag - I hate this horse, I don't know why.
20s bar

I've followed Marb in on his horse and will likely put War Lord in a multi or two because this season has annoyed me at every turn.

Last edited:
What’s the likelihood of the weather scupering Saturday? Planning on going but it’s going to be very chilly!

Good luck us then, Euro.

I have to say the 10s is a fair price if we knew she would be declared on Thursday, and if she does run I only see her shortening up until racetime.

Even her third place behind Pic D'Orhy last season now looks rock solid.

So fingers firmly crossed Nicky declares her.

Then as Jinny says see what the weather does.

Last edited:
What’s the likelihood of the weather scupering Saturday? Planning on going but it’s going to be very chilly!

There was talk of frost-covers potentially going on, in the Post today, Jinny.

Last edited:
Think that’s a cert isn’t it? Just hope it doesn’t snow...or make road conditions between here and there difficult.

I've done my figures for the five-day decs but I don't think the bookies are giving anything away.

Re some of Euro's comments:

Can I ask why you dislike Skelton so much?

Stolen Silver made a bad mistake last time and was lame afterwards. Surely forgivable?

Was War Lord really poor in the Haldon? Wasn't it a hot race? Wasn't he entitled to improve a lot for the run?

The Mullins thing - he sent French Dynamite over to almost win the Mackeson off an eye-watering mark. Maybe HEC has improved more, hence his being here and French Dynamite not?

Williams sent Coole Cody down the route of conditions races because he felt he was vulnerable to younger improvers. Maybe Coconut Splash is his idea of such a horse.

I'm drawn to FL too but not prepared to put any money down for now. I'm highly likely to have changed my mind umpteen times by Friday.

Skelton - I just don't rate him. There's a bit of a flat track bully vibe about him and his stable you just can't predict.

Stolen Silver never seemed that comfortable in the PP and his win at Chelt last back end was in a bad race. His mark is too high

French Dynamite was 4lbs lower than Haut', his form had been franked by Busselton at Listowel and he'd had a run.

War Lord was poor in the Haldon. He might improve for the run but he'll be behind and run on for 3rd or 4th if that is the case.

The Mullins thing - he sent French Dynamite over to almost win the Mackeson off an eye-watering mark. Maybe HEC has improved more, hence his being here and French Dynamite

French dynamite Mullins??

Fancy War Lord myself, favourite is a worthy favourite but at the prices 8/1 War Lord is more appealing. Three lenghts off Blue Lord in the Arkle looks pretty strong form now.

We were supposed to get a frost last night down in Somerset and nothing and it’s a nice day. But I saw they abandoned Hexham So forecast is right up there.

Yea saw that.

Tomorrow will be definately off I reckon.

Just hoping there's hope for Saturday!

Hoping they might decide to sacrifice Friday for Saturday and maybe switch main races from Friday onto Saturday. Keep frost covers on until Saturday morning, ditch the cross country completely as it can’t be covered?

The big race has taken shape nicely market wise with the Skelton's taking the fav out. I have Il Rodoto down as a questionable stayer, particularly given the course change from the Paddy Power. Stolen Silver is for me just like Before Midnight for the same connections, not well handicapped now.

I backed Fugitif apost and followed Marb in on the Hendo mare and have War Lord in a double or two. I really fancied him for the Haldon and was maybe a bit harsh on him earlier in the week. Grudge holder me.

Last edited:
I have mentioned Frero Banbou for one reason or another a few times.

I think I said the other day he needs to drop a few lbs maybe to the mid 130s and on soft ground could win again.

Hence I'm not sure why he is so short. Venetia's good Saturday form?

Maybe someone knows something I don't.

He could run into a place but anyway was happy to see Fantastic Lady declared. War Lord is the one I fear.

Lets hope racing goes ahead.

Last edited:
Back