Cheltenham December Meeting

Pleased to see Editeur du Gite declared....let’s hope my spot was “spot on!”

Not sure on the big race yet...need to have a look though but will only bother tomorrow evening when I know if it’s more likely to go ahead.

Hence I'm not sure why he is so short. Venetia's good Saturday form?

Must play a part. Enzo D'Airy had really good back form but was returning after two years off, Farinet looked like a deep ground animal last year and Brave Seasca was shouldering 12st1 first time out. They all won, non were really that backable imo.

Pleased to see Editeur du Gite declared....let’s hope my spot was “spot on!”

Not sure on the big race yet...need to have a look though but will only bother tomorrow evening when I know if it’s more likely to go ahead.

Yes... Editeur Du Gite is a horse I'm interested in as well.

I thought the Grand Annual could be his target.

I've had a small each-way bet on Fern Hill for this (Lads boosted to 20/1).

Stiff track should suit over this sort of trip, and he was the only horse able to go with Nothing To Ask at Chepstow first time out. He was comfortably beaten 6 or so lengths that day, but made a bad mistake two-out, and was trying to concede the winner 16lbs into the bargain. NTA ran off 118 at Chepstow, and has won again since off 126, and now has a mark of 134. Since, then, Fern Hill has run-out a ready winner of a novice handicap at Uttoxeter (off 133), and runs Saturday from a mark of 140. OK, it's never that linear, but he might not be unduly harshly-handicapped off that mark, based on the subsequent exploits of Nothing To Ask.

The selection is a second-season novice, but after a half-dozen starts over fences, he should more-or-less have the hang of things by now (one less chase start than War Lord).

Beyond this speculative lunge, I think it's an absolute pig of a race.

Last edited:
Main interest for me is if Epatante can win the International. What looks a poor turnout could ebd up being an interesting race.

It's like a different breed of oppostion she face with the Betfair runner up and wunner of the Greatwood in opposition.

With Knappers Hill having won his last 4 he's another that's hard to weigh up.

Forget the fact she was runner up in the Champion Hurdle I doubt if that will count for much in what looks like being a tactical affair.

I reckon she'll be hard pushed to fend of I like it Hot who's a tough nut to crack at the best of times.

Sam Thomas's Stolen Silver needs to jump better than last time. If he does I reckon he's capable of giving weight all round and winning the big one.

Last edited:
I had an email from the course and they said that today it would be raceable.

Last night was the coldest evening of the forecast for the week, so you'd have to be hopeful of both days going ahead.

I'm drawn to FL too but not prepared to put any money down for now. I'm highly likely to have changed my mind umpteen times by Friday.

Can't say I've changed my mind umpteen times because I'd put the race out of my mind believing the race would be abandoned but FL will only carry enough to cover my other bets, all of which qualify for the longshot thread (but that might change by Saturday).

It's ridiculously competitive.

Cheltenham are having a second inspection today at 10.30.....apparently looking ok under the frost covers but just want to make sure. They said that last night it was looking doubtful but temperatures have risen...

blimey if they do that tomorrow I will be nearly at the course!

I recall one year in the 90s when a mate and I drove up from Andover for this meeting and we’re just parking up in Cheltenham when we heard the course had failed it’s 2nd (or 3rd) inspection

Three hours of my life I’ll never get back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really gutted about Cheltenham as I was combining it with a hot date....:lol: and clearly I was going to impress with my ability to tip winners (Editeur du Gite!). Actually we have snow here so driving there would have been tricky anyway.

Richard Hoiles the voice of sense in Racing just explaining why they should have not raced yesterday and instead saved today’s card. He feels it’s too much about racecourses thinking of lucrative corporate hospitality and Friday is better for Christmas parties......! Erm last time I looked racecourses are for racing not effing parties! I am delighted that has the balls to properly speak out instead of sucking up to the Jockey Club.

If they hadn’t raced yesterday they wouldn’t have opened the ground and then had it exposed to the freezing air as it froze before they had finished putting it down last night. I would have been pretty annoyed if I had a runner today there in the big race for this to happen. They should have listened to me.....:ninja:

Last edited:
Really gutted about Cheltenham as I was combining it with a hot date....:lol: and clearly I was going to impress with my ability to tip winners (Editeur du Gite!). Actually we have snow here so driving there would have been tricky anyway.

Didn't realise An Capall was over at Cheltenham this weekend

If they hadn’t raced yesterday they wouldn’t have opened the ground and then had it exposed to the freezing air as it froze before they had finished putting it down last night. I would have been pretty annoyed if I had a runner today there in the big race for this to happen. They should have listened to me.....:ninja:[/QUOTE]

Totally agree.

If they hadn’t raced yesterday they wouldn’t have opened the ground and then had it exposed to the freezing air as it froze before they had finished putting it down last night. I would have been pretty annoyed if I had a runner today there in the big race for this to happen. They should have listened to me.....:ninja:

Agree with this it’s exactly what I said to the wife. Pure greed from Cheltenham just looked at getting tickets for Trials day £30 per adult and together with the outrageous prices for food & drink means it will be a very expensive day out

When will someone make a decision on the rescheduling of todays races?

I have funds tied up online in betting accounts. An announcement sometime soon would be appreciated.

Outrageous that books don’t automatically refund when a meeting gets called off imo. I know practice varies but some carry the bet forward to a rescheduled race which may well be at a different track with totally different ground

It's understandable if there's a chance races can be rescheduled within a 2/3-day meeting but there's no meeting scheduled for Sunday so in this case stakes should be refunded.

Edit - B365 have refunded my chunky bet on Prince Escalus.

Last edited:
Back