Cheltenham Experiences

When Total Enjoyment won I had thought I would stand by the walk in to admire her and take a photo of her. But, somehow I ended up in the middle of the crowd that surrounded her and I got moved into the enclosure with her. Was some party!

One of my fav moments too. :D

an capall, you're as old as you feel!! At the moment I'm like an overexcited kid with Christmas and birthday feeling just round the corner, so I guess I could be 18!

Originally posted by Headstrong@Feb 27 2008, 09:49 PM
Where is that in realation to the Prestbury Arms Maruco? I've usually gone in there after and sometimes before racing, good craic in there too tho I've never tried it [or anywhere else!] during the festival
Do you mean the Kings Arms at Prestbury Heads?

If so The plough is on Mill Street, the road that runs parallel to High St. When you come out of the Kings, there is a little right turn called The Bank, head up there and turn left and The Plough is on the right hand side opposite the church only a minute or so away.

If you intend popping in drop me a PM and we can swap some contact details.

It's unlikely I'll be coming unless I find a badge floating around next week down in Lambourn [stranger things have happened!] as I've a bit of a cash squeeze on... Will certainly pm you if I do.

The pub I pop into is almost opposite the Prestbury Arms Hotel, just a bit further along on the left - I thought it was the P Arms but it could well be the Kings Arms, can't remember. Will hunt out The Plough on my next visit to Cheltenham anyway, I love a pub with good craic :rolleyes:

I agree with Sue - I felt the same the first time I went, and every year after. Nothing wrong with being thrilled to be somewhere. A lot better than being apathetic I think. Well we enjoy it anyway! :D

Usually in life you build yourself up to expect something of a person, place or event, and it is never quite like you imagined. Having been told all the stories, watched all the videos and read the books ...... I was apprehensive about actually being there. But I kept the faith. And it was EXACTLY as I had imagined, no let down at all. I love it totally, and do not care about the crowds or the cost.

It is different for everybody, each get what they get out of it. I admire the Irish for the way they are not shy of a celebration and when they win the place lights up.

Cannot wait until Tuesday morning, or even Monday night for that matter.

Originally posted by LUKE+Feb 26 2008, 11:34 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (LUKE @ Feb 26 2008, 11:34 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Shadow Leader@Feb 26 2008, 07:37 PM
A night out in the 21 Club is always good for a laugh.

Cheltenham also plays host to the worst Indian restaurant in these Isles but I forget its name.
Would that be Hassans. [/b][/quote]
No, I think it might have been The Spice Exchange or something.

Seriously thinking of being around on Monday night then driving back to Lambourn on Tuesday morning!! - just to get a bit of the craic you understand... tho doubt I'd be fit to drive in time to get back for the racing on telly

I am going over on Monday and coming back on Sat..
Looking forward to the Mon especially as i am told that the buzz and the craic is unreal with everyone looking forward to the best 4 days racing of the year...

Jeez i cant wait..

cheltenham is buzzing already,the towns all prepared and ready to go!

actually went to the The Plough the other night (had to show my ID to get served :D) it only gets busy on race weeks shame its a nice pub.

Kevk

Strongly advise not to drive to and from races. Very good shuttle bus service to and from Town Centre/Railway Station - cheaper than a cab at £2.50 each way.

Here are a few places that you might like to try.

Indian Food - The Everest - good food, good service, 2 floors so plenty of room;

TexMex Food - That Mexican Place in Winchcombe Street, centre of town, just off the main crossroads through the town centre;

Thai - Thai Smile in Suffolk Road;

The Daffodil - converted cinema now a good restaurant, also in Suffolk Road;

... and round the corner are the bars in Montpellier, which are always lively - The Rotunda, Montpellier Wine Bar, O'Neills and others, all within crawling distance of each other.

Live music at Taylors at the top end of the High Street.

Decent pub called The Swan at the very top end of the High Street (less like a knocking shop than most because it's a bit beyond the town centre)

Various clubs such as Time and Buskers, just off the High Street, just along from Marks & Spencer.

Out of town: The Plough, Royal Oak and Kings Arms in Prestbury
The Rising Sun and The High Roost, both on Cleeve Hill

Welcome! Have fun!

Back