Cheltenham Festival: Wednesday Races

AP claims to have sown the seed with WPM for Champion Hurdle 2025 and Gold Cup 2026; maybe Nicky will put CH over fences now ....

I find that amazing. I wouldn't have thought they would have the Champion Hurdle on their minds for him.

Looks more like a Turners horse to me.

I hope Geovinco runs a decent race here for Lucinda who didn't want to run here..stupid owners don't deserve to have him.

That’s interesting, I wondered what he was doing here. Ran a very good race, though.

Two interesting remarks from Willie re Ballyburn:

(Or words to this effect)

1. Even I wasn't expecting that kind of performance...

2. He's a Champion Hurdle horse..

Ever since I first saw Titus Oates racing with his head bowed low I've loved horses that race like that. I can see me taking a real liking to Ballyburn.

I can't see them sending him to the Champion Hurdle with Constitution Hill on the scene. Maybe they'll see how his wellbeing pans out but I wouldn't envisage Ballyburn troubling him although I imagine he could well take care of State Man.

6 out of 6 WPM hotpots in thousands of accumulators with only El Fobiolo and Gallopin Des Chaps to come payments will be millions

Good luck to anyone who took the approx 16/1 odds

Two interesting remarks from Willie re Ballyburn:

(Or words to this effect)

1. Even I wasn't expecting that kind of performance...

2. He's a Champion Hurdle horse..

Ever since I first saw Titus Oates racing with his head bowed low I've loved horses that race like that. I can see me taking a real liking to Ballyburn.

I can't see them sending him to the Champion Hurdle with Constitution Hill on the scene. Maybe they'll see how his wellbeing pans out but I wouldn't envisage Ballyburn troubling him although I imagine he could well take care of State Man.

I agree with you somewhat Dessie Not so sure he's quite as good as State Man

The difference between beating those today and running in a Champion Hurdle is like trying to jump the grand canyon on a pushbike

Horses for occasions lads.
He needs a big field, to be knocked around and squeezed to perform to his best.
Top Cees was a similar horse, Sire du Berlais another.
Leave these alone and they will stay where they are.
Would you prefer a small field bully/ coward or a big race terrier?

Langer Dan was my main bet in the race because it was so obvious what he was up to all season.

Remember, Skelton has done it umpteen times in these big handicaps.

I can hardly wait for L'Eau Du Sud in the County now!!

Last edited:
Completely rank is Skelton and no one bats an eyelid.

Called a ‘genius’ though by someone (can’t remember who) on a Cheltenham preview panel. Is it genius to purposely run a very good horse down the field a few times? I’ll be laying Grey Dawning tomorrow. Fiddling handicaps is more his bag.

Called a ‘genius’ though by someone (can’t remember who) on a Cheltenham preview panel. Is it genius to purposely run a very good horse down the field a few times? I’ll be laying Grey Dawning tomorrow. Fiddling handicaps is more his bag.

All the Irish trainers do it. Skelton is just playing them at their own game.

All the Irish trainers do it. Skelton is just playing them at their own game.

I’d argue that the better Irish trainers try their good horses in graded races and the ones who maybe aren’t up to it that season are primed for a festival handicap, example being Galopin des Champs a few seasons ago. I stand to be corrected but I don’t remember an Irish festival winner, in this country especially, winning with form figures as poor as Langer Dan’s this season?

They should hang Skelton up by the balls.fiddling bar steward

But they won’t and he’ll trot out the “oh but he’s had ulcers AGAIN and they’ve responded surprisingly well AGAIN just in time for the Festival”, line for the stewards who will happily accept it.

No less a figure than Paddy Mullins used say if you want to win a big pot you should be prepared to leave little pots after you.
Langer Dan has run at 4 Festivals;
second to Galopin in Martin Pipe
b/d the following year when favourite.
Two Coral Cup wins.
What is not to like ffs ?

Never been so cross to see a horse win. Was going to have a fun each way trixie this morning as my dog is called Monty, I'm called Dan and my Cat was called Guiness. Thought better of it and bloody two out of three have won! Unbelievable.

Last edited:
250 quid gets you 68 quid thanks to Jonbon dropping out..I was lucky enough to cash out wit no loss 1.31 on the machine for a horse who can hit one is not my sense of fun

I did the right thing but two multiple jsut went by by......Thought he was very quick even too quick to pull him up which makes me worry...hope he hasn't injured himself????

Back