Calgary Bay (IRE) 7.g10st 6lb
Great Endeavour (IRE) 6.g10st 5lb
Sunnyhillboy (IRE) 7.g10st 2lb
Pickamus (FR) 7.g10st 0lb
Gonebeyondrecall (IRE) 7.g9st 13lb
Duers (IRE) 8.g9st 12lb
Matuhi 7.g9st 12lb
Pigeon Island 7.g9st 10lb

That field doesn't set my pulse racing. I think Dave's Dream is a very good horse, but can't imagine he'll be much of a price.

I also see him as more of a 2miler. Haven't seen a market, but anything over 4/1 on him is worth the risk.

Gonebeyondrecall - particularly in light of the trainers comments after he was withdrawn at the start before the Paddy Power.

Currently available at 33/1.

"I had a few quid on him ante-post and now that's gone too."

That's the RP comment but i'd be sure that he had more than just a fiver each-way on the horse - he sounded absolutely livid from the RP quotes that the horse was withdrawn.

"I had a few quid on him ante-post and now that's gone too."

That's the RP comment but i'd be sure that he had more than just a fiver each-way on the horse - he sounded absolutely livid from the RP quotes that the horse was withdrawn.

I think you might be giving that remark too much credit.I backed him at 170 on Betfair about 15 minutes before the race.I doubt there was going to be a major gamble landed.Having said that he can travel well in his races and the owner has talked about him being a National horse.

I have to admit I'm sure I'd read comments that were far more positive than those in the Post - I didn't expect the price to crash off the shows and IMO a trainer like Glynn having a couple of hundred each-way at a big price is highly significant and info from smaller yards is far less likely to get out in my experience.

I backed him on the morning of the race last month at 66/1 - the form of his past few races has been working out well, in particular his Beginners in which he beat Wise Old Owl (won 2/3 since and beaten less than half a length off 130 last time out) - not suggesting that off 136 Gonebeyondrecall is ridiculously well handicapped but I think he has a cracking chance and 33/1 is an insult.

Dave's Dream is very much the one tiey have to beat. I though Psycho wias a certainty to land a handicap this year but he is not in this of too attractive a mark.

If Glynn fancied him he wouldn't be having a couple of hundred quid on him.I'm sure there was an incredible gamble landed when he won his bumper.

The three I'm interested in are Neptune Collonges (e/w), Aather (back to lay I think) and Reve de Sivola - though being beaten the distance he was the last day is a worry. I fancy Spirit River to win but looks a little short at the moment. Radium is huge at 14s.

Neptune must have a right chance effectively off 159, and 9/1 is enormous. Hard to see him out of the frame, and whilst I would normally be worried this was just a prep for the Lexus, he will clearly be fit and ready to run as the Hennessy was only a couple of weeks ago.

Any thoughts?

I think you have a G1 novice hurdler (Reve de Sivola) versus a G3 handicap hurdler (Spirit River). One fell in his first chase (SR), the other made a mistake and weakened (RdS).

I'm not sure why the handicapper/faller is 11/8 and the G1/mistake is 4/1.

I've backed the latter.

I'm in two minds as in how to bet on the 3 I am interested in but there is a strong argument to keep things simple and lump on Neptune Collonges at 2/1 to be placed (first 4) - he loves Cheltenham, no stamina worries and jumps better than all the rest. One or 2 could run better, but it's hard to imagine 4 running better.

Back-to-lay on Aather, as you said before, is definitely the way to go. If he finishes in the first 4, he'll surely reach odds on. Timmy Murphy is a huge bonus for this type of bet on this type of horse.

Last edited:
I 'followed' that on Betfair - can anyone tell me what happened - it looked like mayhem?

Good start but traded a good bet off.

Usual stuff. Horses falling, ridiculous leads, tiring ground. It is NH. It is entertainment, not a sensible betting medium.

Last edited:
I find it much better than the flat!

Saying that, all I'm really saying is I lose less, not win more.

Back-to-lay on Aather, as you said before, is definitely the way to go. If he finishes in the first 4, he'll surely reach odds on. Timmy Murphy is a huge bonus for this type of bet on this type of horse.

The 7.2 at the moment gives a lot of room for trading if you don't want to aim for an odds on lay.

Back