Cheltenham Friday & Saturday

Impressive fightback by Midnight Chase there. He's gone up massively in the weights for his wins but sees to make no difference. Super horse.

MIDNIGHT CHASE looks smashing, both this time and last. He's very athletic and nimble for a biggish horse. I'm very pleased for the Clarke family (well, Lady Hilda in particular) and their continuing support of NH. Just a huge shame that Sir Stan went only in his 60s with the Big C. He so loved the sport.

I guess they'll have to go to the Gold Cup trial back there at the end of January,especially as we are unlikely to see any of the big guns in that race.

Usual stuff. Horses falling, ridiculous leads, tiring ground. It is NH. It is entertainment, not a sensible betting medium.

Horses falling is just another imponderable when making your selections. Sure if backed one of those that was brought down in the handicap hurdle today you would have good reason to feel a bit miffed. But on the other hand if you were on a horse that stayed clear of trouble suddenly the odds of you collecting have come down. That sort of thing should even itself out long term. Same thing with getting bummed with the draw in a cavalry charge on the flat.

The nervous chase - or rather the standard of the runners' jumping - was embarrassing, to be quite frank. A high standard Cheltenham novice chase contested by top novices from top yards and I've seen better jumping point to pointing! Fair play to Reve de Sivola for showing his courage and toughness to win after making some serious blunders early on - at least he got round, unlike the other half of the field who threw themselves on the ground instead (Radium the notable exception to that as he was brought down, not his fault). The Nicholls yoke which pinched a 15l lead tried taking nearly every fence home with him and he wasn't the only one who tried removing each fence by its roots! It was a pretty disappointing display of fencing by all the runners.

Last edited:
Delighted Reve won but didn't see the race. Did they go no pace early doors? I'm hoping a faster runrace will see him jump better in the future.

Horses falling is just another imponderable when making your selections. Sure if backed one of those that was brought down in the handicap hurdle today you would have good reason to feel a bit miffed. But on the other hand if you were on a horse that stayed clear of trouble suddenly the odds of you collecting have come down. That sort of thing should even itself out long term. Same thing with getting bummed with the draw in a cavalry charge on the flat.

But I don't bet sprints either :D

If you think it will even itself out, then I should quit now. I have a 100% strike rate on NH this season. With a 400% ROI. No more bets until the flat....

Hahahaha.

Any thoughts on the next?

I've gone for Mad Max at 15, a little on Pigeon Island at 65 and am tempted by Pyscho as well - any thoughts on him?

I will back Menorah but is Clerks Choice not value to place at 3.1 back on good ground?

I'm place laying Menorah and backing Cue Card I have a feeling we might be getting a wow moment in the next 10 minutes

Did Ruby just say 'stiff 2m won't really suit him' regarding Silviniaco Conti or did he say 'will really suit him'?

Have also had a little on clerks choice to win - 36 crazy price. Don't like the Nicholls yoke so much.

Well we did just not the way round you thought !!!

Where did Kauto's post go ?

Last edited:
Geraghty got out of jail in the last - tried to be too clever and win on the bridle, similar to the mess he made with Poquelin in October. A great jockey but needs to lose this side of him. A very good day would have been ruined if Mossley didn't pick up!

Geraghty got out of jail in the last - tried to be too clever and win on the bridle, similar to the mess he made with Poquelin in October. A great jockey but needs to lose this side of him. A very good day would have been ruined if Mossley didn't pick up!

Horse was distressed post-race - I suspect Geraghty was trying to nurse him home.

The horse wasn't the only one.

In what way distressed? I can't imagine Geraghty knew there was anything wrong.

Back