Cheltenham Friday

Melendez

At the Start
Did McKeown steal Devereux's whip? It looked like he asked him politely and then made a grab for it anyway, with Devereux a little reluctant to let go. Will the police be informed about this thievery?

Last edited:
Hoopy

Did you see the winning jockey drop his whip and take the whip from another jockey.Is that cheating.

Great ride from JP McKeown - one of the better amateurs out there and rode the winner of the big amateur riders race at Auteuil last weekend.

Graham Cunningham making himself look like an idiot - probably backed the second.

Is there a rule where you can't use more than one whip in a race? Are you allowed to do that - it happens in other sports, Davydenko borrowed some of Murray's socks the other day.

I've no idea whether it is allowed. If it isn't the stewards will have a job, because there has to be a severe doubt he would have won the race without it. Maybe the inquiry is over at this stage, I'm relying on Sporting Life for updates.

From the BHB rulebook:

Dangerous Riding

A Rider is guilty of dangerous riding if he causes serious interference by:

a) purposely interfering with another horse or Rider

or

b) riding in a way which is far below that of a competent and careful Rider and where it would be obvious to such a competent and careful Rider that riding in that way was likely to endanger the safety of a horse or Rider.

Surely it counts as that?

Interfering is hampering his chance surely? If the jockey was pulling the horse up anyway and in this case he'd been handy but was dropping through the field it can't be that can IMO

It's a weird one alright. You can't expect the rulebook to specifically deal with every perceivable event on the track though.

No - remember watching a Frankie Dettori vid which shows an Australian horse clipping heals and the jockey (Andrew...) changed horses at the top of the stretch. That was kind of weird to watch too.

Do we really want our sport monitored to the very last detail....I don't, I didn't see it but sounds like he used his initiative, good on him.

Nope took it off a horse who had been front-running and was pulling up (between fences, King Harald was pulled up before the next fence)

The rider said he lost his whip when his horse made a mistake; therefore, and this is very clear to me, there is no way in the world he should then be able to go and 'steal' another rider's whip - it's due to a mistake (either by jockey or horse, you decide) that the whip was lost.

Also, it's completely irrelevant where Kind Harold finished.

Is this (National Hunt) a professional sport or are rules made up as we go along?

He got a 2 day ban. I'm sure he's not bothered, but you'd imagine if he broke the rules he should have been thrown out and if he didn't he should have got nothing.

Contrast Racing's applications of the rules with that of Golf's regarding Kim's disqualification recently.

This is an embarassment. How can you take another jockey's whip and not be disqualified? No advantage gained :confused:

The rider said he lost his whip when his horse made a mistake; therefore, and this is very clear to me, there is no way in the world he should then be able to go and 'steal' another rider's whip - it's due to a mistake (either by jockey or horse, you decide) that the whip was lost.

Also, it's completely irrelevant where Kind Harold finished.

Is this (National Hunt) a professional sport or are rules made up as we go along?

There's nowhere in the rules where it says you can't use another persons whip. We can't go round throwing horses out for the sake of it which seems to be what you're implying Andrew.

Contrast Racing's applications of the rules with that of Golf's regarding Kim's disqualification recently.

This is an embarassment. How can you take another jockey's whip and not be disqualified? No advantage gained :confused:

If I lose my driver during a round, can I borrow another players ?

Surely there's an issue about rewarding (by failure to punish) for a mistake? Ou of interest, had the events remained the same, but the horses were in the same ownership, whta would the decision have been?

Back