Cheltenham handicaps

ajax trees down

At the Start
It's almost a given jetson will return to the pertemps and has a great chance. Ted veale and the grand annual is the worst kept secret in racing.. Swing bowler to go for the county with flaxen flare the danger.. An ew trixie for me? Anyone else have any strong opinions on the handicaps..

Clever Cookie a horse trained by P Niven as just sneaked into the county hurdle, its a improving horse that will love a strong gallop which you usually get at cheltenham as it likes to come from the back and pick off the opposition it is 20/1 with paddy power and will be having a each way wager on.

Shangani for the Byrne Group Plate, has been campaigned similarly to the trainers previous winners of the same race Carrickboy, Something Wells & Idole First

I see Golden Chieftain is entered up in the Kingwell on Saturday. I had him in mind for the Hennessy earlier in the campaign. Still on a winning mark.

Tanerko Emery is interesting me at 20/1 in the County Hurdle market.
The Greatwood looks strong enough with Del Arca franking the form in the Trophy at Newbury.
David Pipe will have a good line through the form, his Tanerko Emery was 5th behind Del Arca.

I think he can win a race like the County off a mark in the mid 140's still.
He was 5th in this very race last year on the trademark Good-Soft Festival ground off 141..... but soft or heavy ground may the key to him putting in his best.. if I were to back him I think I'd need there to be some real cut in the ground.
I might take that chance, you never know.

Last edited:
Fingal Bay in the Pertemps. He won a qualifier off 142 at Exeter last weekend and hopefully won't go up much for that. He travelled and jumped well from the front and expect a fair amount of improvement as was his first race for 18 months. Will probably get involved NRNB if the price holds up

Fingal Bay has slightly muddied the waters for me, pre season chat on Twitter with a few here on the forum we had him down as the PP/Hennessy handicap good thing, so back over hurdles he looks a player as you say and the runner up If In Doubt.

Seefood had been top of my list for a while now (assuming he turns up should find out tomorrow if he has an entry at least), his second in the Leopardstown qualifier was better than it first looks, pretty much led from the fourth hurdle onwards and raced ten wide the whole way round, also the only horse that ran prominently to finish in the top 7 or 8 and even when he was passed in the final 100 yards he still rallied, only up 5lbs for that effort which is more than fair and with a more patient ride at Cheltenham he must be in with a shout.

There must be a chance B365 will go nrnb bog this weekend or possibly Bet Victor?

Last edited:
The Champagne West-Deputy Dan formline is something I have followed all season and with CW hopefully not being ground dependent im hoping for a good run in the Pertemps

Fingal Bay has slightly muddied the waters for me, pre season chat on Twitter with a few here on the forum we had him down as the PP/Hennessy handicap good thing, so back over hurdles he looks a player as you say and the runner up If In Doubt.

Seefood had been top of my list for a while now (assuming he turns up should find out tomorrow if he has an entry at least), his second in the Leopardstown qualifier was better than it first looks, pretty much led from the fourth hurdle onwards and raced ten wide the whole way round, also the only horse that ran prominently to finish in the top 7 or 8 and even when he was passed in the final 100 yards he still rallied, only up 5lbs for that effort which is more than fair and with a more patient ride at Cheltenham he must be in with a shout.

There must be a chance B365 will go nrnb bog this weekend or possibly Bet Victor?

I bet that Euro will bet on Fingal Bay wherever he runs :p

Holywell wherever he runs - Jonjo has been running him over short trips and I expect him to appear in either the NH Chase or Kim Muir with a lowish weight and improve no end for stepping up to the trip at which he was such a good hurdler .

PS I see he runs at Donny over 3 miles tomorrow no doubt to get a mark .

Last edited:
Grumeti in the Coral Cup would interest me.

The 20's with the sponsors seem very generous. Maybe they know something I don't.

Back