Cheltenham handicaps

Oh dear it looks like the BHA have decided to take no chances with Holywell - after beating a horse rated 132 by less than a length at Doncaster he has been given a rating of 145 .

thanks for posting that DG.

Couple which stand out to me;

Un Beau Matin - 10-10 in the Coral Cup. Carried 11-10 last year, when running well for most of the race before falling. A 6 y-o now, with normal improvement & his shrewd handler, looks dangerous off potentially a stone lighter.

My fancy for the Byrne Group Plate (Shangani) doesn't look sure to get a run off 9-10, but is declared for Doncaster on Friday. A win there could see him sneak into this off a low weight.

Oh dear it looks like the BHA have decided to take no chances with Holywell - after beating a horse rated 132 by less than a length at Doncaster he has been given a rating of 145 .

Some might say it couldn't happen to a better trainer considering the fantastic improvement he manages to eke out of his handicappers each March...

Can someone clarify for this for me.
Does Regal Encore have to win the Imperial cup at Sandown and does this then automatically qualify the horse for either the VOB or Pipe handicap?
As it stands will surely miss the cut off with rating of 130?

Will probably need to go close to get a couple lbs added to get in either but not necessarily win, though assume the idea is to win to get a shot at the bonus, last couple of years OR132 lowest rated in the County and 131 & 132 Conditionals.

Last edited:
Jakers
You are wrong

If he wins he gets a penalty and could make the cut ( not sure)

But other place he runs with that weight and will not run at cheltenham

Arctic Fire is interesting. Needs to learn to settle. Big field could just be the job. Has got gears no doubt.

Can someone clarify for this for me.
Does Regal Encore have to win the Imperial cup at Sandown and does this then automatically qualify the horse for either the VOB or Pipe handicap?
As it stands will surely miss the cut off with rating of 130?

130 could be very workable wherever he goes given the subsequent form of Seeyouatmidnight

Ted veale and Holywell seem to have been worked out by the handicapper, pendra looks interesting, regal encore is fav for 3 races and needs to win to get in where's the value in that.. Anyone have an idea where living next door or manyriverstoctoss are going ??

Cheltenham are working with Kempton Park and the British Horseracing Authority, and there will be two consolation races for horses who get balloted out of the handicaps here.

“Horses who are entered in the handicaps here but are balloted out will be entered by default in two £40,000 Silver Cup handicaps, one for hurdlers and the other for chasers, over around two and a half miles at Kempton Park on Saturday, March 15. It is up to the trainers to decide whether to run at the
declaration stage and it is only then that they would pay an entry fee.”

Last edited:
Lol, I'm not complaining at all. Just think the sensible thing to do would have been at least send them the same way round.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why is Regal Encore such a hot favourite for the Conditionals' race?? With his absurdly low mark of 130 he has absolutely no chance of getting in.

Why is Regal Encore such a hot favourite for the Conditionals' race?? With his absurdly low mark of 130 he has absolutely no chance of getting in.

I believe hes going for the imperial cup @ sandown on Saturday, wins that theres the 7lb pen ,plus the bonus to go for, thus should get in on 137.
Plans are one thing though.

That's right. But if he wins the IC, the County Hurdle will be the likely target as AP will then be able to ride him.

I'm taking a view that J P Ferguson will have a couple in with a big shout. Ruacana and Prince Siegfried have both figured with me.

Back