Cheltenham Handicaps

Is there still a bonus? I thought that had gone a few years ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there still a bonus? I thought that had gone a few years ago

I don't recall hearing that. I'm pretty sure Langer Dan was after the bonus when it won a couple of eyars ago.

Happy to stand corrected.

All the more kudos to Kelso, then, for putting up the bonus money for Morebattle winners.

I happened to be looking back through my older files to check for comments about the Imperial Cup - Festival bonus and cheered myself up enormously when I stumbled across one I'd put up in the 2021 Longshot thread for the County. Happy days...

County Hurdle - Belfast Banter 66/1 6 places - people with long enough memories will recall that I put this one up earlier this season when it came over to contest the top-class Ascot handicap won by Not So Sleepy. Belfast Banter got a shocker of ride that day under exaggerated hold-up tactics before storming through after the turn for home before that effort took its toll after the last. It was backed down to 10/1 that day off the same mark as here. The chances are its subsequent form is about looking after its mark with a view to a big handicap although I don't imagine this race could have been seriously targeted since his mark is nowhere near high enough to make the usual cut so this might be an opportunity they don't want to pass up. At the price, I'm happy to pay to find out.

I don't recall hearing that. I'm pretty sure Langer Dan was after the bonus when it won a couple of eyars ago.

Happy to stand corrected.

All the more kudos to Kelso, then, for putting up the bonus money for Morebattle winners.

Just checked and the bonus was withdrawn in 2016 when the race wasn’t sponsored and then reintroduced in 2017 when Matchbook started sponsoring and they increased it from £50k to £100k in 2018

Sponsorship switched to Paddy Power in 2021 (did Matchbook become part of PP/Betfair?) and the bonus appears to be offered still

I only remembered it being withdrawn

Cheers, viking. I tried googling for info about it and came up with nothing particularly relevant hence going back into my files for info.

If taking up his entry in the County Hurdle on Friday, think this Irish horse will outrun his odds

Fils D'Oudairies

Each Way @ 40-1 [Bet 365] 5 places..NRNB

Ultima - Ill decide on day
Boodles - Milan Tino
Coral Cup - First Street
Grand Annual - decide on day
Pertemps - Icare Allen
Plate - Crebilly
Kim Muir - Inowayurthinkin
County - Under Control
MP - Wait for decs

No disrespect to anyone who backed Faivoir in the Imperial Cup but I was shouting on Go Dante nearing the line.

Not because I had backed it but because I was struggling to 'read' Skelton ahead of this race and the County. I had Faivoir just about well enough in to win today and have a good chance of defying a penalty on Friday but decided against backing it because I thought they'd focus on the County.

My top four in the IC today were, in order:

Sans Bruit (I saw this morning that Timeform also had it clear at the top)
Metier (iffy now?)
Faivoir
Go Dante

Sans Bruit got a poor ride. The earlier race showed the place to be was close to the pace since they weren't making ground from midfield let alone the rear so Cobden's decision to drop out Sans Bruit was baffling unless it was an educational or over-confidence.

Sans Bruit and Making Headway - which did get a good ride but probably went too fast for a staying type - were my bets in the race but it's important for me to know my figures are holding up despite going quite some time without really'doing' the form since the later stages of the Flat season.

Watching the race, it was clear Faivoir was most definitely off for its life so I'm thinking Skelton must really fancy whatever he runs in the County. He has four left in it: today's duo (Faivoir and Knickerbocker Glory) and L'Eau Du Sud, my good thing for the Betfair Hurdle, and Playful Saint which might struggle to make the cut. Faivoir couldn't have had anything but a hard race so Friday might come a bit soon.

The Betfair hurdle is serious form so L'EDS might be the main fancy but I am still very keen on the Mullins horse.

We'll see.

Last edited:
Just been messaging a pal about the same thing, DO.

My immediate take (as explained to him) was that there’s no bonus now, and if Cheltenham was always the plan straight after here, then he has run an absolutely tremendous trial for the County.

that said, I reckon your assessment is entirely plausible too.

I've just finished doing the Ultima and it's made me look forward all the more to the race, not because I'm expecting to be on the winner but because, of my top ten ratings, five currently qualify for the longshot thread and another is on the cusp. Three of the other four are in the front four in the market so I might use them as cover.

It's Cheltenham. If I can't go mental now when can I??

Lucinda Russel had made a complete fool of herself allowing the owners of Geovinco to dictate to her where he runs.

Well handicapped in the Ultima where without any financial interest I thought he had a great chance as he was very well in.
However he most likely goes for the Browns Advisory and as AP told her to her face "Total madness"

Have to agree with him Fact To File evens is a lot of people's banker of the meeting

Ultima - Stumptown
Boodles - Milan Tino
Coral Cup - Might I
Grand Annual - Maskada
Pertemps - Gowel Road
Plate - Crebilly
Kim Muir - GIT Maker
County - Absurde
MP - Better Days Ahead

Last edited:
I've just finished doing the Ultima and it's made me look forward all the more to the race, not because I'm expecting to be on the winner but because, of my top ten ratings, five currently qualify for the longshot thread and another is on the cusp. Three of the other four are in the front four in the market so I might use them as cover.

It's Cheltenham. If I can't go mental now when can I??

I've been backing Eklat De Rire nrnb for weeks, last night they, ploughed into him...

Should be top of your ratings on his old form...He looked rejuvenated in his pipe opener..

Last edited:
Pertemps [Thursday]

Think Anna Bunina is a dark horse over this trip, so each way [six places] @ 40-1 [William Hill]

I was very keen indeed on Bialystok for the County until I saw on Wednesday that Townend had opted for Absurde and that put the shiters right up me. However, the change to heavy ground has maybe gone against that one so I'm hopeful again.

Got to fear L'Eau Du Sud and will probably have enough on it to get my other outlay back.

I've put a couple of longshots on that thread.

I was very keen indeed on Bialystok for the County until I saw on Wednesday that Townend had opted for Absurde and that put the shiters right up me. However, the change to heavy ground has maybe gone against that one so I'm hopeful again.

I’m keen on Bialystok also. He was going really well when brought down at the DRF and is better off at the weights with the placed horses from that race including So Scottish.

I’ve also had a swing at Search for Glory (20/1 taken) in the potato race. He’s obviously vulnerable to more progressive novices but I’m hoping his greater experience will count for something

Last edited:
Back