Cheltenham Move Fence

Back to the topic, if you were trying to find a negative angle (and forgetting about the safety concern), they jump the open ditch at the top of the hill, say 5/6 furlongs out and will now have only one fence to jump from there till after the home turn, which is 2 furlongs out. Is that a long way with only one fence and will it put the emphasis on faster horses as they can get away and even if they are not the cleverest of jumpers, they could have the race won by the new second last and it will be easier to jump. I'm not advocating that the fence shouldn't be moved, but will it create a new dynamic?

Next year will be my 30th consecutive attendance at the Festival, and my 33rd in all. (I started young.)

Coming up to 50 plus years for me at the great Chelt and still waiting to own a winner. Always been able to see what I wanted to see,during the day and also the night.
Goodwood is great also,but will never compete with the drama and sheer excitement of Chelt. The memories alone send me into dreams . The characters,equine and human that have gone,and reemerge each year,almost as reincarnations.Chelts is the ultimate.
I hope to have my ashes scattered by the open ditch,in the event of my demise ,but not sure I have the trust in my friends to do this,more likely be in the garden of The Plough

I went to Gold Cup day this year on The Orient Express there and back - if you havent tried it then I highly recommend it - My best experience of a day at the races ever. The roar of the crowd, the scenery, the racing and the professionalism of the staff on the train. Magical!

Coming up to 50 plus years for me at the great Chelt and still waiting to own a winner.

That really puts it in perspective. We were very fortunate to get there so often with our first horse. As Colm says "the worst thing about Cheltenham is once you win you want to win again and again and again". not sure I'll ever get back again. Ah, a runner at the Paddy Power meeting would do me!

Cheltenham is the best meeting I have ever been to - nothing touches it.

As for recent attendances it is no surprise York does so well - the facilities as well as the racing are fantastic and I am always amazed how its catering is much better than just about everywhere else yet significantly cheaper.

Indeed, if they want to move an end of season bash anywhere - now the drainage has been sorted - move it to York !!!

Last edited:
It'll be interesting to see how it rides - the last fence will now come up quickly after the second last.

Apparently the fence has been moved a whole furlong plus a few yards (39, to be exact) which means that they will be motoring down the hill and round the bend before they meet an obstacle, then two fences in quick succession up the hill.

The Champion and Arkle chases are going to be very interesting this season.

Sounds to me it's more than a little mad and sadly I think that the proximity of those two fences will cause more problems than they'll solve.

As a wise old sage says, maybe it's best to remove the last fence [and the second last in Cheltenham's case] altogether?

Have they invited any trainers to trial a few horses over them, does anyone know? It's fine moving stuff around, but unless there's proof it rides better, I'd hate for horses to be finding out it's a half-stride off best take-off point on the day.

Apparently the fence has been moved a whole furlong plus a few yards (39, to be exact) which means that they will be motoring down the hill and round the bend before they meet an obstacle, then two fences in quick succession up the hill.

The Champion and Arkle chases are going to be very interesting this season.

Do you know how long the run will be from three out to two out. If they've added a furlong and presume there was a furlong between the old fences, that's a two furlong run, at least. That's seems a lot but I guess it will suit speed horses from the third last but will still put a big emphasis on jumping as the last two will be so close to the line.

I can hear the screech of last-minute braking from here... as you imply, that's a helluva head of steam to get up, and then have to steady and balance for two, just at the moment when you expect to be letting them off the leash for a final effort. Most of the time, you leave the last jump well behind and tank for the finish line - this way, it almost seems the reverse will be happening. Difficult at that stage with those the most tired, too.

I'm going for a balloon ride from there in the next few weeks - will let you know how it looks and maybe get a picture before the first meeting.

Has the fence actually been moved? My understanding was that the work has still to be done, despite headlines to the contrary.

Back