Cheltenham Receptions

Behave, Relks!

I too was beside the winner's enclosure and I did not think the roar was as loud as last year [when I was also beside the winner's enclosure]. It started earlier this year granted - mainly when Denman came in, but I didn't think the reception when Kauto Star himself came into the enclosure got a lot louder than it had when he entered the bottom end of the paddock. Usually you know the precise second they enter the winner's enclosure as the roar goes up again even over the already loud reception - I didn't think it was as noticeable this year, in fact I was surprised Kauto Star was already in the winner's enclosure at one point as I thought he was yet to enter.

I too was beside the winners enclosure and thought it was a huge roar.

Perhaps your perception is tainted by the fact that last year, having backed the winner, you and Findlay probably contributed to 85% of the decibel level.

Going back to early remarks about atmosphere, I didnt think the festival really got into a roar-of-previous-years level until Pride Of Dulcote started fighting back.

I do believe you didn't come back to the winner's enclosure last year did you?? I'm talking in comparison to last year, which I stated all along!

Damn right I did - as you said, I contributed to the roar!! I might still have been on my way back to the paddock but I was certainly close enough to hear it having more or less got there by then!

It's great that the jumps fans never argue about pointless things.

Here's a tip - next year bring one of these:

t-16400-253.jpeg

;)

I think the crowd gave Denman such a big roar yesterday they had a job to elevate the pitch for the winner! Huge relief - and an acknowledgement of a very brave horse and a job well done

I thought some of the receptions were muted, but obviously something to do with the downturn in crowds. I can't comment on the four big races as I was down at the rails and then heading for the dope testing area so I could get lots of pictures!
Talking of which, I've got a shot of Master Minded with a dayglo bum as I snapped him running up the hill. :p Part MM, part steward! Oh well, practice, practice, practice!

All I can say is that I am very appreciative to the photographers who get the shots worth buying as altho my husband and I take shots of racing related things for fun we are not pros and ours look like it too - so thanks to Dims & Uncle Goober for capturing a keepsake for the rest of us that is not blurry like our own! :)

It's great that the jumps fans never argue about pointless things.

Here's a tip - next year bring one of these:

t-16400-253.jpeg

;)
Someone did in fact; the roar for the Supreme measured 108.7 decibels, compared to a reading of 100 dB recorded during the Carling Cup. Apparently. Info courtesy of Kate Miller of William Hill. ;)

The receptions did seem slightly muted this year to me . I was glad KS got the cheer he deserved though and on Wednesday Well Chief was almost as well received as Master Minded !

I didn't hear any to match the receptions for Moscow or Best Mate's last two GCs

They told me I could take a great photo as a kid, glad I didn't take it any further after hearing these stories.:D

Think i'll stick to the polaroid:p

Plus ca change :lol:

Meanwhile , back to the topic . There have been some suggestions that there were quite significantly fewer Irish visitors to the Festival - might that have affected the volume levels of the receptions

Really? I had not noticed that. I ran into one of my Irish mates just before Paddy won who tried to stop me wasting my money elsewhere .... and when Paddy duly won I was carted off to the Winner's Enclosure on a sea of people, all shouting and crazy with red scarves .... and I was deaf for the next two races.

But they enjoyed themselves, which is what mattered. :)

Plus ca change :lol:

Meanwhile , back to the topic . There have been some suggestions that there were quite significantly fewer Irish visitors to the Festival - might that have affected the volume levels of the receptions

Too right - you've got to laugh, haven't you!?!

Back on topic -it's odd, isn't it? With the exchange rate, you'd think it would have been more Irish visitors than previously.

Back