Cheltenham Thoughts - 1 month out

Grasshopper

Senior Jockey
Keen to hear what people think with a month to go before the Festival, as it can often help identify horses that I may have overlooked. FWIW, this is where I am right now.

Supreme
Have fancy prices about Il Etait Temps (so my judgement is possibly clouded), but I thought it was an excellent run at the DRF regardless. He beat all the right horses (three of them undefeated), travelled like a dream, and ran strongly through the line; suggesting to me that the test of the Supreme would be right up his street. Racing's talking-heads don't seem particularly enamoured of the performance - generally writing it off as something of a fluke/shock - though the market has obviously taken a different view. That said, my suspicion is that he'll be one they'll want to oppose, and reckon he'll be a bigger price on the day. Regardless, I'm happy to go to war with him. He looks an improved horse with another year on his back, and the hood added.

Arkle
I was really taken with El Fabiolo's run, though once you remove the madcap that is Dysart Dynamo from the equation, he's really beaten a bunch of Turners horses, and the form is possibly not quite as good as it seems at face value. I still think Jonbon is the one to be with in this race, and I am looking for a bloodless display at Warwick this weekend to boost that confidence further.

Champion Hurdle
With apologies to An Capall and Granger, Constitution Hill just wins, and places himself amongst the all-time great hurdlers.

Mares Hurdle
Very interesting heat, and whilst the front two in the market are very smart, I like Love Envoi in this. She has age on her side, and I like her head-down-no-nonsense approach to racing. She's short-enough in the market, but continues on an upward curve, whereas Epatante and Honeysuckle are now perhaps starting to fall back into the others a bit. Brandy Love's absence a bit of a concern for me.

NH Chase
Looks made for Gaillard Du Mesnil (who will be my main bet), but I'm drawn to Amirite as one who could run into the places at a big price.

Ballymore Hurdle
I want to be against Hermes Allen, for no better reason than the form in UK novice hurdles hasn't proven nearly so strong as that in Irish novice hurdles. Nicholls recent Festival record also has to be taken into account, I think. From those at the head of the market, I would be favouring the more-proven ability of Good Land over Impaire Et Passe, and I'm still a little wary of Gaelic Warrior's level, for all that he dotted-up in the DRF handicap. If there is an angle to any UK runner, it might come in the shape of Rare Edition who goes in the Sidney Bank later today, over two-and-a-half. If he won that, and Rubaud also franked his form in the Betfair, he might be for having onside each-way.

Broadway Chase
If there's been anything not to like about Gerri Colombe to-date, I haven't seen it - and I don't really understand connections apparent coolness about running here. The Real Whacker is a terrific animal, but I question whether he has the class for this (personally, I'd run him in the Ultima), and I can see Thyme Hill's jumping fall apart in a really competitive race like this. You can take-out practically eight of the next ten in the betting, as they won't go (NH Chase or Turners for most of them, and I have a suspicion there will be a late switch to the Stayers for Sir Gerhard), which leaves the race at Gerri Colombe's mercy, imo. He's a strong favourite for this and will be hard to beat, with further improvement expected over 3m+.

Champion Chase
A puzzler. It's very hard to knock Editeur Du Gite, but I can see both Edwardstone and Energumene turning the Clarence House form around, under slightly more judicious rides. Of that pair, I think I might actually side with Edwardstone, as I have a niggling doubt as to whether Cheltenham is truly Energumene's track (every time I watch his Championship Chase back, Funambule Sivola seems to inch a little closer).

Turners Chase
A bit like Gerri Colombe, it's hard to spot any flaws in Mighty Potter, though I don't have a bean on him. The once small concern I would have is that he was PU'd in the Supreme last season - though given who won that race, it's perhaps understandable if he's been an intermediate-trip horse all along. That aside, he looks all over the winner for me.

Stayers Hurdle
This race is a shi*tshow, with question marks against everything. If Blazing Khal were to run (and then run well) in the Boyne this weekend, he would be a serious player, but I want to be against both Teahupoo and HBTL - for reasons I'm not entirely sure about. Again, I've a small inkling this is where Sir Gerhard might end-up, and have had a nibble at him in the Betfair market - though even if he does show, I wouldn't be at all confident. The Boyne will hopefully help inform the race a little more (Saint Sam of mild interest), but I couldn't really recommend anything. I think it's probably a race for small stakes and moving on.

Ryanair Chase
I can't have Allaho, despite recent positive reports, but I can have Shishkin, despite recent negative reports. Am I mad? Probably. For all that he's clearly top-class, I kind of feel Allaho's wide-margin win was down to an excellent piece of race-riding/blatant larceny by Rachel last season, and I'm not sure he can repeat it, even if he does turn-up in A1 condition. I still have faith that a fully-formed Shishkin is an absolute monster of a horse, and think this increase in trip is something he has been crying out for - probably since before his Supreme win, to be honest. He will hopefully show his true colours at Ascot next weekend, otherwise it's back to the drawing-board.

Triumph Hurdle
Hard to have a strong opinion given the race will cut-up to buggery due to the Fred Winter. Blood Destiny is really the only one that doesn't have any sort of blemish on his record (Lossiemouth unlucky, to be fair), and I'd be with him for the moment.

Albert Bartlett
Willie seems to have unlocked this race a little bit; winning with two very-well fancied horses in Monkfish and The Nice Guy in recent years, after it developed a bit of a reputation as a no-hopers benefit. That being the case, Embassy Garden merits maximum respect, and strikes me as a fair price at 6/1 right now.

Gold Cup
Hard to get away from Galopin Des Champs in this; though he took a few strides more than I expected, to assert in what wasn't a great renewal of the Irish Gold Cup. Finding one to beat him is tricky though. Conflated is currently 12/1, and now that they've established that he's a stayer, I think he is probably just about the best option against the fave at a decent each-way price. I can't have Bravemansgame at this course, and Stattler and Noble Yeats strike me as just a bit too slow - though could threaten the Gigginstown horse for the places.

If I've liked or recommended any horses who are injured, dead or otherwise not going to run, it's a measure of how shabby my research is.

Last edited:
Nice post Grassie.

Supreme:
Wide open now. I was musing with the idea of Tahmuras yesterday but he lacks pace. I can't see a bet but it's so much more of an interesting renewal now.

Arkle:
Looks a two horse race. Take your pick I guess.

Champion Hurdle:
One horse race. Someone on Twitter I think said Hills were going 33/1 about Constitution Hill for this race immediately after his debut win at Sandown. I would deffo have taken that but never saw it. Hoping for a dozen length gubbing.

Mares:
I've got nice prices about Brandy Love and the absence does worry me but Mullins did get a Stayers out of Penhill fto. Agree with Grassie about Love Envoi, she is the danger. Epatante and Honeysuckle are nine and I'm big on younger horses at the Festival, It's the main reason I'm very anti Appreciate It and A Plus Tard (age plus a number of appearances with the latter). Brandy Love beat Love Envoi comfortably at Fairyhouse last season and although the latter was running after taking in the Mares so you have to think she wasn't at her total peak that was the wrong way around for the former. She wins this if she's the mare I think she is but there is that doubt with the absence.

Ballymore:
Like the Supreme this is so open. Hermes Allen strikes me as a better proposition for this than BMG did but it's hard to be confident with so many crack Irish novices just behind him in the betting. I have a little position on Inthepocket but it's competitive so I won't go mad. Good Land did look decent at the DRF but am I wrong for not trusting the trainer?

Broadway:
I've lost already on this race as I was so keen on Minella Cocooner for this. It looks Gerri Colombe's for the taking and I will be looking for Gold Cup 2024 prices about him ideally just before this is run. I can't have The Real Wacker or Thyme Hill.

Queen Mother:
It's tight at the front of this market and if Mullins has a good day one I think Edwardstone will drift to a backable price. I think they are comfortably the two to concentrate on for all that Editor de Grite was impressive in the CH.

Turners:
I've been on Banbridge for this for a while and was over the moon with his run in the Irish Arkle and whilst I respect Might Potter I'm not convinced by him in the same way I am with Gerri Colombe. The question is how much of my financial bias is clouding my thoughts re this horse? Some maybe but he beat a bad field last Sunday and yes I desperately want my selection to beat him.

Stayers:
Another really open race, I haven't a clue really. Would like Klassical Dream to make it.

Ryanair:
Agree with Grassie here - Allaho might be the best horse in training but like APT he's going for his fifth Festival and we have no prep run so must be opposed at the price. The problem is what with. I don't like Fakir at Cheltenham, Blue Lord is a doubtful stayer and Fury Road is surely a Grade 2 beast. Shishkin merits consideration at 7/1 NRNB. I think he might be gone but he only takes this in if he runs well in the Ascot Chase and if that happens 7/1 is very tidy.

Albert Bartlett:
I've been a fan of Three Card Brag since his debut run this season and I just hope he gets his conditions. Made for the race and Absolute Notions and Inthepocket both franked his form last weekend.

Gold Cup:
Galopin des Champs might stay, he might not who knows until the race. What I do know is his price is poor - Kicking King came into his Gold Cup with similar credentials and he was in the 7/2 4/1 region. I have a little on Stattler at 20/1 but he's tight now as are Noble Yeats and BMG. I can't have APT for reasons already stated and I do think Protektorat is worth a go at 16s. He went to Cheltenham last season having not run since the Many Clouds and I don't think Skelton is a trainer who can pull that sort of prep off in a Championship race. He wasn't great in the Cotswold but I do like the way he finished his race and he's just a bit too big.

Other Races:
Ashroe Diamond in the Mares Novice and Allegorie de Vassy in the Mares Chase are important bets for me. The latter beat Brandy Love at Fairyhouse last spring (lucky tbf) and looked at that time a big chasing type but missed the Festival. She was way overs for this when the AP market opened.

Handicap entries aren't out yet so it's hard to be dogmatic but I notice a lot of Irish horse at the top of these markets and I think the handicapper might bum them again - they hardly featured at all in the Plate last season for example. Some books are NRNB all races and I've taken a couple of prices with that safety net - War Lord for the Plate at 20s and Rapper in the Kim Muir at the same odds.

Last edited:
Supreme: Il Etait Temps
Arkle: Great race, Jonbon likely winner, have and will back Dysart still.
Ultima: Into Overdrive
Champ: CH
Mares: Love Envoi
Boodles: Tekao (nap)
NHC: Dont care

Ballymore: Impaire Et Passe
RSA: Gerri
Coral: Camprond
CC: Edwardstone
Cross Country: Delta Work (nap)
Grand Annual: **** knows
Bumper: Its For Me (nap of whole festival)

Tuners: Mighty Potter
Pertemps: **** knows
Ryanair: Allaho (nap)
Stayers: Blazing Khal (Teahupoo in reality)
Plate: **** knows
Mares Nov: Luccia
Kim Muir: **** knows

Triumph: Blood Destiny
County: Icare Allen
Bartlett: Hiddenvalley Lake
Gold Cup: Galopin
Hunters: Dont care
Mares: Impervious
Pipe: Anyone but Langer Dan

I think Dysart Dynamo is a great price in the Arkle - the race is 1.5f shorter than the DRF which will help and 8/1 on the machine is just too big.

Supreme
I have gone in double handed with Tahmurus and Facile Vega. I had lost confidence in the latter but at least Willie Mullins has come up with a better excuse than blaming Paul Towend. I doubled him with Constitution Hill at 11/1 and with Energumene but I can't say I am confident at all

Arkle
I was disapointed with Dysart Dynamo but I had layed him off at a profit anyway, Jonbon and Alloha I have in a 51.5/1 double and Jonbon single at 14/1 so my ass has been teaking for the last month hoping nothing would go wrong. Music to my ears when I read Alloha is absoluyely ok. Jonbon is pretty much still a bit of an unknown and was made to look a bit oordinary by Constitution Hill so I am not bursting at the seems with confidence but will be of the double if he wins

Champion Hurdle
I was so taken by Constitution Hill I had visions of him even knocking Arkle off his pedestal let alone Night Nurse. I have never seen anything like him and I have backed him to win more than any other horse in my life. Apartfrom backing him at 5/2.9/4,2/1, 7/4 and a 11/8 I jumped in head first and doubled him with Flatline at 11/4 I have a cashout on my bets involving him which include a 20/1 double with Galopin Des Champs that if it were any other horse I would jump at but not on Constitution Hill..the biggest certainty since Arkle won his 3rd Gold Cup.

Mares Hurdle
I got Epatante backed in this but can't be confident she'll even run....very confusing race, If she goes Champion Hurdle then I will defo be backing Honeysuckle for this. .

NH Chase
Looks made for Gaillard Du Mesnil (who will be my main bet), but I'm drawn to Amirite as one who could run into the places at a big price.

Ballymore Hurdle
I want to be against Hermes Allen, for no better reason than the form in UK novice hurdles hasn't proven nearly so strong as that in Irish novice hurdles. Nicholls recent Festival record also has to be taken into account, I think. From those at the head of the market, I would be favouring the more-proven ability of Good Land over Impaire Et Passe, and I'm still a little wary of Gaelic Warrior's level, for all that he dotted-up in the DRF handicap. If there is an angle to any UK runner, it might come in the shape of Rare Edition who goes in the Sidney Bank later today, over two-and-a-half. If he won that, and Rubaud also franked his form in the Betfair, he might be for having onside each-way.

Broadway Chase
Only thing I know about this race is has the same name as the first race Arkle ever won at Chelteham. No idea what will run in it let alone what will win it.

Champion Chase
No doubt in my mind we never saw the real Energumene in the Clarence House and that he's different class to the others. One of my bankers.

Turners Chase
I really like Mighty Potter and even backed him at 1/2 first time out and on both his other races but it never occured to me to back him at Cheltenham. I hope he wins but 6/4 in a race at the Festival seems a bit short.

Stayers Hurdle
This had the look of the worst renewal in it's history and I thought Nicky was certail to send Marias but since then I was impressed by Home by the Lee and took 9's about him the up pops Teahupoo and beats Honeysuckle then hacks up in a 3miler. Not a confident chappie I am on the right one.

Ryanair Chase
Allaho enough said.

Triumph Hurdle
Not a real fan of this race these days though it did produce Our Conor and Tiger Roll in the last 10 years. Havent really looked to be honest.

Albert Bartlett
Not for me.

Gold Cup
He'll have to fall to be beaten will Galopin Des Champs in this, Horse is pure class and none of the others look anywhere near as good as him. Trip won't be a problem.
If Constutution Hill wins this will pit the icing on the cake for me as my second leg of a 20/1 double. That\s alot of icing

As for those handicaps unless something jumps out at me I am highly unlikely to back anything in them

Supreme

There seems to be a steady move towards Grassy in the estimation of Il Etait Temps (quite aside from the fact that he ran the race nearly 3 seconds faster than State Man in the preceding Champion Hurdle). Facile Vega finished lame and is very sore according to Mullins so question marks there. I was disappointed not to see High Definition finish and we still don’t know what to make of him. It would be going some to take the race so short of experience, but he is out of the top drawer and could be anything. I may have a fun punt.

Arkle

I think without Constitution Hill taking top billing in Henderson’s yard they’d be crowing about Jonbon. I think he’s an outstanding horse in his own right and I hold a ticket for him.

Champion Hurdle

If CH doesn’t do the business in style I’ll never trust my judgement again.

Mares Hurdle

I think Marie’s Rock was set up for this, but whether she will take her chance against two aging superstars or go for the Stayers Hurdle instead still awaits a decision as far as I know. If she runs in this I think it relies on the fading of those two superstars and I wouldn’t bank on their light dimming enough. It’s a shame Honeysuckle is in this position but I feel a “for old times sake” bet coming on.

Ryanair

Like others I can’t see Allaho still being at his pomp, but I can’t really see anything to topple him bar Shiskin maybe, if - and it’s a chancy if - he is properly over his troubles. You’re really relying on which master trainer has got their invalids ready to rock.

Queen Mother

I can’t put Energumene’s poor run in the Clarence out of my mind, I don’t buy this put off by the white painted fences business. And I’ve always (to my cost) underrated Edwardstone. I don’t think it’s one of the strongest Queen Mum’s and, as in the Gold Cup, if PFN puts up Greaneteen he’s got to be better than a 14/1 shot if the ground is decent.

Gold Cup

I can’t really see past Galopin Des Champs but he’s woefully short. With last year fresh in the mind I’m not so much worried about the distance as his jumping. One to watch, although PFN is not one for tilting at windmills so if Bravemansgame runs he, at least, thinks he has a chance.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the contributions - more information to digest! Marvellous, and it’s always a joy to read.

I’ll just stick to the championship races; stick to the stuff I know.

CH - I’ll be doing the tricast. CH-State Man-one other. Probably Zanahiyr.

Champion Chase - great race. I’m not sure what happened to Greaneteen at Sandown, but like Barjon, I’ll be punting him each way.

Stayers - wide open again. But I like Gold Tweet here.

Gold Cup - A tricast. The race is between Protektariat-BMG-GDC-Conflated

Last edited:
Having looked at the Leopardstown Arkle again I cannot understand how Saint Roi lost Mark Walsh.
He jumped perfectly and more importantly when riderless ran through the field to "win" ears pricked .
Un De Sceaux did similar the day he fell at second last and Flemenstar had his swan song.
To my mind Saint Roi deserves a place on the Will Win thread.
At his current Arkle price he is an ew steal at worst.

Having looked at the Leopardstown Arkle again I cannot understand how Saint Roi lost Mark Walsh.
He jumped perfectly and more importantly when riderless ran through the field to "win" ears pricked .
Un De Sceaux did similar the day he fell at second last and Flemenstar had his swan song.
To my mind Saint Roi deserves a place on the Will Win thread.
At his current Arkle price he is an ew steal at worst.

I love a horse that still wins without a jockey to stop him,it shows he enjoys it imo.
That's why I said on another thread that High Definition couldnt even beat Facile Vega without a jock.doesnt mean it cant win but its put me off a bit,although I did it at 20s a/p.

Saint Roi
Ran wide and got outpaced,timed his run well,ran on well and won going away.

Last edited:
Not sure what to make of the Supreme, for all that Il Etait Temps was impressive on Sunday, the fact that he's a second season novice tempers my enthusiasm somewhat.

Has any second-season novice ever won the Supreme? I can't think of any, so IET would probably need to be a stats-buster to go in. I live in hope!

To win a G1, having overcome all sorts of problems, straight from winning a maiden hurdle race is impressive and despite arguably being clouded by big price tickets, I’m still sticking with Marine Nationale. He seems to have gone from being too short off the back of the Royal Bond to the forgotten horse and wouldn’t surprise me if 5/1+ is available on the day.

I’ve just checked the ticket prices.....! £108 for Club and £75 for Tatts....haven’t paid for one since 2020 when Club was £90.

£75 for Tatts? You could buy 10 pints of Guinness for that.

No wonder they got shot of all the scalpers outside the track. They've got enough of them in the ticket office!

A great day 1 beckons

A very open supreme with marine being a big winner for me after a speculative punt on his bumpers being better than average

The Arkle is a proper clash with a graceful and elegant horse v what looks a raw beast

The Champion Hurdle provides a chance of greatness

Then we have honeysuckle who could bow out winning again and that would be a nice farewell

Stayers Hurdle
This race is a shi*tshow, with question marks against everything. If Blazing Khal were to run (and then run well) in the Boyne this weekend, he would be a serious player, but I want to be against both Teahupoo and HBTL - for reasons I'm not entirely sure about. Again, I've a small inkling this is where Sir Gerhard might end-up, and have had a nibble at him in the Betfair market - though even if he does show, I wouldn't be at all confident. The Boyne will hopefully help inform the race a little more (Saint Sam of mild interest), but I couldn't really recommend anything. I think it's probably a race for small stakes and moving on..

I had a few quid as an interest on Blazing Kal today after reading your post. Must say I was bery impressed how easily he moved into contention before the home trun and then the way he quicked and stayed on.....Looks a proper Cheltenham horse to me.

Great to see Blazing Khal back and an impressive winner. Hope he comes out of the race OK and makes it to Cheltenham

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back