Cheltenham Ticket Office

Irish Stamp

Forum Moderator
Quick Cheltenham related question but has anyone tried to pick up tickets from the Cheltenham ticket the morning of the Festival? Would 11am be early enough for this?

You'd want to get there as early as possible really and the queues start outside from about 10am to get in.

Picked them up there before Martin. 11 is more than early enough. You'll face a barrage of ticket touts on the way up to the racecourse. Why they sell when there are tickets available from the course always bewilders me

Thanks all - I would watch it on TV EC and normally do but since I have the opportunity to go this year I might as well take it :)

Thanks Granger - 11am is the time I'm looking to get there for, not overly keen on being involved in a huge scrum though at the ticket collection winds lol

Many times I have collected addditional tickets for our party.Arrival time 12.00-13.00.Collect in Centaur Hall.Queue 30 secs.

Looking at an 11am arrival at the ticket office - and then a few beers in Cheltenham. Think what I'll save on train fares I'll spend on alcohol :lol:

Looking at an 11am arrival at the ticket office - and then a few beers in Cheltenham. Think what I'll save on train fares I'll spend on alcohol :lol:

By the time you get back into Cheltenham and get served it will be time to head back out to the track! :lol:

When (and how) do you arrive in Cheltenham Irish?

Arrive on the train from Paddington at 10:20ish - planning on walking to the track if possible. I'll just follow everyone else :lol:

Arrive on the train from Paddington at 10:20ish - planning on walking to the track if possible. I'll just follow everyone else :lol:
Hope you've bought your hiking boots! The station is about 1m on the other side of the town, you'll have done almost the Gold Cup trip just getting to the track! :lol:

There should be buses running from the station to the track, but you will have about a 1m - 1 1/4 mile walk back into town for the nearest pub (Prince Of Wales, Cotswold, on the main road, or The Conservatory in Pittville is a bit nearer) or eastward to Prestbury for The Royal Oak, Kings Arms or The Plough - again a fair hike if you want to be back in time for the first.

Alternatively, the bars at the course will probably be open by 11.00, which will give you time to have a drink, grab a bite to eat and have a look around to find the best viewing places.

Are you just here for the day or stopping over?

Thanks all - I would watch it on TV EC and normally do but since I have the opportunity to go this year I might as well take it :)

Thanks Granger - 11am is the time I'm looking to get there for, not overly keen on being involved in a huge scrum though at the ticket collection winds lol

Aye

I don't blame you

I only went once ..CH day- 1985..which was quite an interesting day...See You Then won his first CH..and in that field was a certain Desert Orchid...I also think Browns Gazette was in the CH as well..not sure now...it was also John Francome's last Festival...can't remember much more...the first race was won by a Northern trained animal...it was a bright day as well for the time of year.

Last time I walked to the station I had to rely on a human crutch to get me there....

Actually, since it was moving, does that technically make it a human zimmer frame instead?

Just the day Redhead - absolutely no chance of getting any more days off work during the busiest week of the year :)

The one day does me fine - enough time to see Othermix win the Champion Hurdle, Quevega the Mares Hurdle, Original the Arkle and wake up at Haywards Heath on the train home :)

Harry Hastings! Yeah verily A reject from the flat, carried lumps all over Scotland and iirc led by miles for most ot the race in a course record time. Not even bothered by being one of my main choices for the meeting.

BTW. The college which is to the right as one approaches from the town used to open the Students bar to punters. Student prices. May well still do so. We used to park there as well driving up the road parallel to the main road.

Last edited:
Just the day Redhead - absolutely no chance of getting any more days off work during the busiest week of the year :)

The one day does me fine - enough time to see Othermix win the Champion Hurdle, Quevega the Mares Hurdle, Original the Arkle and wake up at Haywards Heath on the train home :)

Hope you enjoy it, Irish. :D The roar as the tapes go up for the first is quite an experience, makes one go all goose-bumpy! Another great moment is to be by the winners enclosure as the Irish greet one of their winners - and if Ebadiyan wins even that will be something else!

Strongly advise use of the bus service though, Cheltenham is not a big town by population but it is spread out over a large area - as is the track - so walking anywhere involves more distance and time.

Shadow - I'll bet you were sore the next day after that hike. Its a lovely walk and looks so easy but goes uphill and down dale, murder on a bad hip.

Last edited:
There are free buses running from the station to the racecourse and back.

Further to this Stagecoach service D runs every 10 minutes during the day

Service 527 also provides a regular service from Cheltenham Centre to Bishops Cleeve and Gotherington via the Racecourse Roundabout.

For local Stagecoach information please call 0870 6082608.

Have just discovered they are running buses from outside W H Smith in the High Street to and from the racecourse as well

Have just discovered they are running buses from outside W H Smith in the High Street to and from the racecourse as well

That's the one that we catch, DG (there' a huge pile of Racing Posts inside the doors of Smiths for the racegoers) but that's the first time I've heard that it will be free - usually £2 or £2.50 (apparently the Racecourse takes a cut in return for allowing Stagecoach to run the service from the car park).

Stagecoach never do anything free. They always charge for the buses to the course. Expect to pay about £4.50 for a return to the course.

Yep it ain't free unfortunately. Walk to the WH Smith and get your free program with the Irish Independant. Then if you fancy take the bus or brave the last 20 minutes of the journey

Sounds cheaper than the £4.50 bus ride they charged at the Open Meeting a couple of years back.

Was at Stileman's Horse Trials with a friend today Redhead so been practicing my walking alot ;)

Back