Cheltenham Today

Guest_

At the Start
In an attempt to get into the NH spirit - any fancies today?

Think General Millar in the last might be interesting against the top two in the betting. Looked pretty impressive himself in each of his starts - in admittidly weaker looking races than Lidar and Ghizao have contested of late.

I’ve been waiting for The Tother One to run – looking forward to this.

I can’t choose between General Miller and Miller’s Dawn in the last... they both have such great names.

I quite like the look of Royal County Star. I think he'll be happy with a nice cosy pace over a long distance and I'd trust Martin to have determined he was suited to this sort of test. He's only fairly handicapped, but as Enda Bolger has proven, having the right horse with the right preparation is more the key. He often makes mistakes but is usually nimble enough to get away with them - nimble more important here than jumping accuracy.

Last edited:
I’ve been waiting for The Tother One to run – looking forward to this.

Me too. I'm all over him at 10/3. I've also backed him for the Welsh National but not going overboard for that as will wait and see how today goes.

Is it just me or is Weird Al is a little big at 9/4 in the first, I like Spirit River in the second and am of a similar mind to GH re Lidar - a prime example of a horse priced up on hearsay as opposed to looking at his performances on the track.

Steve - if only I'd applied that logic when JONCOL ran!! (And what's even more galling is that I nearly did, and dismissed it as getting a bit too twee!)

Me too. I'm all over him at 10/3. I've also backed him for the Welsh National but not going overboard for that as will wait and see how today goes.

Is it just me or is Weird Al is a little big at 9/4 in the first, I like Spirit River in the second and am of a similar mind to GH re Lidar - a prime example of a horse priced up on hearsay as opposed to looking at his performances on the track.

Backed him at 7/2 last night. I don't want to think too hard about it today, just enjoy a big run.

Steve - if only I'd applied that logic when JONCOL ran!! (And what's even more galling is that I nearly did, and dismissed it as getting a bit too twee!)

:lol: What’s in a name?… probably quite a lot if we did but know.

All of the really great things have been named Miller: Golden Miller, Mick The Miller, The Miller’s Tale, Windy Miller, Miller’s Crossing, Miller The Great, Millersfield, Miller The Kind And Tolerant and (best of all) Steve. Why not then General Miller and Miller’s Dawn as well?!

Great to see Garde Champetre win again(didn't back him) though wonder what the reason was for Nina to be on Headsontheground - weight JT Mc was able to do or re-shuffling of jockey order?

Something to do with the weights alright - nice to see Nina give the winner a deserved pat at the end. Great race up the hill.

Weight and apparently Nina volunteered to get off to help out - I imagine she is a certainty be back on at the Festival - great as Spot was this horse is as big a star over these fences .

Joe Lively at 16s looks rather tempting ew .

Poor ride by Jacob on Maljimar. Think he will be a leading contender for this race at The Festival as long as he doesn't end up with as much to do then as what he did today. He was still on the bridle with the winner having a 4l start turning in and completely blew his chance with his jump at the last.

Fortunately not tempting enough for me to back him ! Ran like the Hennessy had left a mark - much more encouraging from old Ashley Brook.

Think The Totherone should go really well in the Welsh National after that. He seemed to not travel very well/hit a flat spot, but stayed on really well and with a better jump at the last may have made a real race of it.

I hadn't seen too much racing live on TV in a while - Cattermole is dreadful and not in any way a commentator - is there no-one else?

Sod it... He did seem to hit a flat spot but was making ground hand over fist in the closing stages to be beaten a length giving 20lb to the winner. Ruby left him with a lot to do then forced him on quite a bit. Hope this hasn't bottomed him.

Cheltenham baffle me on commentators - they go for the best of everything otherwise but we have either Cattermole or Shouty Johnston - one incompetent the other unbearable to listen to - occasionally at the Festival Hoiles but get a day.

Hamm I tend when C4 is on to switch to watch the race itself on there - Holt is still a cut above the rest .

Sod it... He did seem to hit a flat spot but was making ground hand over fist in the closing stages to be beaten a length giving 20lb to the winner. Ruby left him with a lot to do then forced him on quite a bit. Hope this hasn't bottomed him.

I don't think Ruby can be blamed he was shovelling the coals on from a long way out .

He was, then stopped, then pushed on again. No complaints from me, but frustrating nonetheless. He got niggled just before halfway and was never travelling with the fluency I was hoping for - he was always that bit too far behind. I don't think Ruby was overly hard on him at the end - still has a great chance in the Welsh National.

I think The Tother One is always likely to prove vulnerable to another horse that tries a bit harder, no doubting that his mark at Chepstow is exploitable should he apply himself fully.

Think General Millar in the last might be interesting against the top two in the betting. Looked pretty impressive himself in each of his starts - in admittidly weaker looking races than Lidar and Ghizao have contested of late.

Ha this jumps game is not so dull sometimes!! :)

Good call!

Back