Cheltenham warning

Ian R

At the Start
I wasn't sure where to post this but I was at Cheltenham races all four days last week. I used a Visa card for contactless payment in the racecourse. I also used it for non-contactless payment at the Pitville Pump Rooms. That is the only time the card was used last week and today I have discovered my card was compromised and over £500 taken on various payments since Thursday. At the racecourse, I only used contactless because one of the food stalls actively advocated using it for speed but then in fact one of the contactless terminals was non-operational so my card was passed about. It would only take something as unsophisticated as somebody nearby filming on their camera and getting lucky on a few occasions to capture both sides of the card.If you used your card in the racecourse or the Pump Rooms it may be worth checking your statements. Regards

Last edited:
Thats a downer Ian, just shows the importance of not letting anyone take the card away, even in full view. Will be even more careful - esp when booze is involved

Thanks for the warning Ian. Hope you get this sorted out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Cheltenham Warning

Thats a downer Ian, just shows the importance of not letting anyone take the card away, even in full view. Will be even more careful - esp when booze is involved
Nobody took the card away which is why something less sophisticated could be used as I was holding my card out and moving between payment terminals at different ends of the food stall. Also no drink involved - I love a drink but not at the races.I did use my computer at the Pump Rooms but being security conscious I used a fully encrypted VPN over their wireless connection so it couldn't be sniffed - which is why I believe it must have been an unsophisticated method

Back