Cheltenham Wednesday 13th March 2024

yorick

Conditional
So.

My only bet on day one, as you know, was Apple Away, a horse that I backed Ew ante post at 20/1. Strange thing to say, and maybe you know where I'm coming from, I just didn't feel confident on the day of the race. I don't know why, just a gut feeling. The good news is that, as the horse shortened dramatically over the last two days, by mid-way through the afternoon, with the price at 5/1, I realised I was being offered a cashback that was 125% my original stake. I thought it made sense to accept the cashback, take back my original stake and put the remainder on Ew at 5/1: a bet for nothing for which I stood to win about 35% of what I would've won with the original bet. I thought it as the thing to do, knowing that whatever happened my original stake was intact.

Just as well, eh? As we saw, my horse jumped well in the main but was just wasn't good enough on the day...end of, as they say. Halfway through the race, after jumping very well indeed (don't you think?), she jumped a fence and seemed to stumble on some loose ground. After that, she didn't really jump as I know she can and her confidence drained. I'm sure that wasn't what lost her the race for she wasn't up to it on the day.

Still, I will not be down cast nor shall I abandon her.. It's a not inconsiderable comfort that her mark is unaffected and may well go down and this leaves the handicap door wide open, in my opinion. Quite which handicap I have no idea but I'm sure there's a big pot to be won with her. Who knows? If they can get her mark up to the mid 40's the Hennessey/365 wouldn't be out of the question. I'm sure that she'll make a very nice second-season chaser.

On to Wednesday.

I'm getting ready for even more egg to come faceward with what's on offer: that's usually the way, isn't it? I shall do three main ones and leave the rest to comparatively tiddly stakes.

The first and main selection, without doubt:

Saint Roi - 4.50 Cheltenham 13/2 Ew

I love a horse who's run well in graded company when they drop into handicap class and so it was with Saint Roi in his penultimate race at Fairyhouse. He was travelling very kindly as the race unfolded and he had started to make his move as the field began to quicken up towards the third last. He was ideally placed and going well. Unfortunately, at that very point, a horse fell in front of him and he had to take swerving action to avoid being brought down. After that, he was playing catch up which resulted in his rhythm going to pot and in turn affected his jumping over the final two fences. He did well to stick on into 4th, I thought. Straight into the notebook he went hence the tip for this. I shall look no further. Get the race up and see if you agree.

My next choice, strangely, goes in the XCountry, a race I wouldn't normally touch with a bargepole, as they say.

Stattler - 4.10 Cheltenham 16/1 Ew Ante post

I backed this one when he won the NH chase here the year before last and had high hopes for him. so much so that I backed him in last year's Gold Cup - PU. Not to be deterred, I've had my eye on him since. Last time up at Punchestown, he was put into XCountry for the first time and what ensued was nothing short of a disaster. That Xcountry is chock -a-bloc with banks (I think I counted fourteen in all) and this fellow just absolutely loathed them. If you watch the race, you'll see it's as if he's racing on ice each time he tackles one of the blessed things: slipping and sliding his way over each one laboriously. Subsequently, after half the race was done, he was out with the washing and just toiling. I'm surprised he wasn't PU. In fact he finished a (distant) fourth. How did he manage that?!

One is inclined to ask why on earth they've bothered to run him here but run him they do. Surely they must think it's worth a go, unless it's simply a prep blow out for the Grand National. One thing is certain: he won't be asked to negotiate fourteen banks here; there are two or three and that's it. With that in mind, I feel inclined to give him an ew go. After all, on a level course , he'd be right up there with the leading contenders in the race. I take a chance and shall be watching with more than half a mind on next month's National.

Lastly, I'm siding with:

Stay Away fay - 2.10 Cheltenham. 0/30 Win

This gelding did me a favour at last year's festival and I've followed his progress over the big 'uns this term. I like the cut of his jib and would say that he loves the course, jumps well, stays the trip, is as game as a pebble and sports the first-time pieces. What more can I say? Sold. he'll do for me.

As for the rest, I'll share but only for comedy purposes.

1.30 Ballyburn
2.50 Guard Your Dreams, Ew, Doddiethegreat Ew.
3.30 Fabiolo
5.30 Teeshan Ew

Good luck to you. :)

Back