Cheltenham

It can be a bit of a squeeze getting into Tatts and onto the rails, but there is a line of bookies along the rails of the horsewalk (in Club) and next to the paddock, too.

There is a lot more space at Cheltenham than at some other tracks, although some areas can get a bit crushing during the Festival.

After a few years of driving / taxi-ing there and getting fed up with the traffic, we decided to take advantage of the bus service that runs from the Railway Station or Town Centre and returns at the end of racing. Cheaper than taxis, who always overcharge, and much more relaxed. They stop outside WH Smiths who always have a massive supply of the Post in.

Worth getting up a bit earlier, strolling through town, catching the bus and having a drink when we arrive before all the fun kicks off.

The bars are always very busy and on a wet day very crowded. Best advice is to get there early and get to know a member of the bar staff. Always more likely to respond quickly to a face they know.

The crowd is usually a great mixed bunch of people and, as hospitality bookings are down this year, much more likely to be proper racing fans again!

Hope you give us a go, Pricewise, it is a terrific experience. I used to be able to hear the crowd from my classroom down the road - until I started bunking off to join them!

In the evenings there are plenty of places to eat, lots of pubs and quite a few, like Taylors, have live music of all sorts. I'm told by a colleague of mine that the Cheltenham clubs are a bit "greasy" but who'd notice with good company and good booze?!

Thanks a million for that redhead:D

Happy to be of help. Hope you join us, Pricewise.

Another good thing to look out for is if the Irish Independent runs their offer of a free racecard with each copy - save yourself a couple of quid there as they've recently gone up to £3.

Thanks a million for that redhead:D

We generally just walk to the track in the mornings as it helps clear the head. We stayed in the Holiday Inn last year which was very convenient but have not booked anything this year so far.

My feeling is that there could be a lot of booking cancellations as plenty will have booked accommodation last May / June and their circumstances could have changed significantly since then.

Good point, DistantView. The Holiday Inn is handy for the Brewery complex and town centre.

Knackered hip prevents walking there as would be hobbling by the time racing started. I'll wave to you from the bus! :p

I live an hour's drive from Cheltenham; and have worked the Festival for the last 6 year's work in one of the on-course betting shop's always really busy and every year I say "never again". But every year I work as it is such a fantastic atmosphere although really busy the whole atmosphere and the racing makes it all worthwhile!

The only thing I hate is the traffic it really starts to build up from 10am so get there early as possiable if driving, I arrived at 8.30am last GC day which was a bit too early but as it was a 10 race card wasnt sure how bad the traffic would be. Anyway at least arriving at that time had time to have breakfast and a coffee before work which don't usually have time for!

This year I am actually taking the day off on Thursday and having a day out "punting".Having breakfast at the Plough in Ford on the way, great racing pub overlooking Jonjo O'Neill's gallops

http://www.theploughinnatford.co.uk/_Templates/default.asp?graphics=TRUE

we have booked reserved seats so will have good view of the racing although it is great to have a bet at the course, I plan to put my bets on the evening before so can therefore relax and enjoy the day rather than spending most of the day in queues at the bookies.

Cant wait hopefully the weather gets a bit warmer before then!:D

Back