Chester Friday

Guest_

At the Start
Best card of the week for me today.

Starting off with the Ormonde. Macarthur has been put in at 9/4 this morning and he could easily be much better than he has shown so far but he has disappointed on occasions and looks one to take on. I think Red Gala looks interesting today. He should relish this faster going and the stable is getting into the swing of this this week.

In the Dee Stakes I think Achill Island is a good thing. I expect significant improvement on his run the last day. He should have no trouble handling a track such as this and my only slight worry would be the very fast ground.

I agree with you that Macarthur should be left alone. Raincoat has the classiest form but didn't get the Leger trip last year. I'm going to take a chance that he'll cope with today's shorter trip on a turning course.

I'm with you on Achill Island for the Dee Stakes. Given the limitations or inexperience of others in the betting North Parade seems overpriced and I've included him in a speculative little forecast.

Numide might look a silly price at 20s+ after the race. Funny old character though. Not a fan of Macarthur at all.

Can't agree that Raincoat has the classiest form. (Watch him trot up now! :D ) His form is on a par with several in the race, 2 others have won Group races in the past, and no less than 5 have been placed in Group races of arguably similar quality.

I agree that Numide looks an excellent bet on first glance at the prices. However, that is tempered by the fact that he runs like a coo on anything except soft.

The John Porter has also supplied 6 of the last 10 winners which would bring Red Gala and Tempelstern into the equation. The problem I have with Red Gala is that I'm not entirely convinced that the firmer ground is going to elicit significant improvement, perhaps a little, but he needs to find another 6/7lbs or so, including sufficient to get him past Tempelstern on JP running.

There seems to be opposition for Tempelstern on a ground basis - again, I'm not convinced that it will hamper him to the extent expected - looking at his first 5 races before the penny appears to have dropped, his best run of all was on GF. Hardly the profile of a horse who doesn't handle it. His run in the John Porter was far in advance of anything he's done previously suggesting significant improvement over the winter and I reckon it's worth taking a chance his handling the ground at 12/1 or so.

So I'm going with Tempelstern against the favourites.

Russki looks a cracking e/w bet to me in the opener.
Currently 10/1 but 13.5 on BF and 3.80 average to place

HEYWOOD is a 40/1 outsider in the opener but won this day at Chester last year. Ground has been against him so far but today is fine. 4lb lower mark than last year tho up a grade.
A realistic ew punt at the bottom of the handicap.

I wasn't the only one who fancied Russki - came in appreciably - but he ran a stinker too!
I fancy Unnefer as an e/w in the next - speed figs better than a couple of the fancied ones -
but I'm not betting today

OOOHHH that's close! ......... Shame for Henry, Unnefer beaten a nose

Originally posted by Colin Phillips@May 9 2008, 09:20 AM
Has there been any rain at Chester?

We seemed to have an appreciable amount down here in South Wales.
Sorry for the late repl,y, you probably know by now we had a little overnight, but the ground is good/firm.

I so want Carte Diamond to win this after all he's been through

PS Well 3rd not bad! He's a brave horse to be sure
Winner very impressive tho. Aidan's first Ormonde it seems

Looked a different horse to every other time I'd seen him. Coronation Cup next?

Numide travelled beautifully but didn't have the pace at the business end. They should chuck him the Gold Cup for a laugh.

Quite tough on these sprinters to have to wait so long but they seem to have taken it pretty well -
Secret Assett now so wound up after all that kerfuffle it's hardly worth running him!
He'll prob now bolt up :brows: just coz I've said this PS he didn't LOL

Funny how Queally got slaughtered by the stewards.If someone pulled the manoeuvre that Dettori did on the road there wouldn't be much sympathy.

From the RP site :

Johnston voices disapproval over Chester racing surface

by David Lawrence

MARK JOHNSTON on Saturday voiced his disapproval of the racing surface at Chester's meeting, following confirmation that filly Majounes Song suffered a career-ending pelvis fracture in the Huxley Stakes on Thursday.

Johnston did not blame the track for the four-year-old's injury, but said: "The ground was officially described as good to firm, good in places, but when I walked it I was able to get my foot in hoofprints - that is just not consistent with the description.

"Majounes Song is at Liverpool Veterinary Schoolhaving treatment, but it appears she has a fractured pelvis and that she won't be able to race again.

"I can't say the condition of the course was the cause of her injury, as she had gone only a furlong when it happened, but I don't believe the going was as described and I don't believe there was any great depth to the grass growth."

"Funny how Queally got slaughtered by the stewards....."

I agree Sheikh, six days seem way over the top.

Did Dettori have any right to make that run up the inside of Steppe Dancer?..........methinks the Leeeetle Italian is a much better talker than Tom Queally

In the overhead replay they showed on Ch4, the gap did seem to be there when Frankie started his run up the inside, but Queally's horse came across into the rail moving away from the whip, so closing it.

With all the noise of the crowd I can't see any reason why Queally should have known Frankiie was there; but he made no effort to keep his horse straight so was prob guilty of 'careless riding'. For which such a long ban seems harsh to say the least, as it wasn't deliberate. We've seen dastardly bumping matches get less punishment than that.

Back