Chester

Sara

At the Start
Wants more Pattern Races... I see their point as they do get good crowds, but surely you can't hold that many Pattern races at courses where there is such a gross draw bias?

RP Story

Fair point, but there's no reason why they shouldn't get a few at 12f and over.

Chester are right to be a bit peeved, they do get the crowds in and should be rewarded for their enterprise and marketing ability.

Would that more courses got attendances like Chester, no scenario there of horses racing in front of two men and a dog for the sole benefit of off-course betting outlets.

Absolutely, Venusian.

Chester always attracts big crowds - even for a run of the mill midweek meeting. The course is run well and is always a pleasure to visit.

I agree that Chester have good grounds for being a little brassed off - after all they do have the very popular May meeting during which their pattern races are run, so why can't they be awarded pattern races at other times of the year as well?

Agreed - I've only been to Chester about three times but I really loved it
They seem to have got that balance right between keeping the real racing fans happy and making space for the 'day outers' without them all getting in each other's way

In the interest of balance can I post my experience of Chester last May.

"Chester Wednesday May 9th.

The Roodeye is, of course, in Chester, which is easily accessible from the north-west and the midlands, and there is a direct train service from London Euston, which takes two hours seventeen minutes and a more regular service which entails changing at Crewe, and that takes two hours forty minutes.

There is a Frequent, Fast and Free bus service that takes you from the railway station to the centre of the city and from there it is about a ten minute walk to the course.

I just wish I could report that I enjoyed my first trip to this unique course but that wouldn’t be true.

One of the perks of doing this report is that, normally, I am issued with a Press Pass that gives me access to most parts of the course. The procedure is that I ring, or e-mail, the course and it is arranged that I pick up the pass at the gate. The system, or someone, let me down at Chester. After waiting twenty minutes in a queue at the box office, I was informed that there was no pass there for me. Well, it had taken me four hours and £50 to get to Chester by train and to say I wasn’t happy is something of an understatement.

After a couple of phone-calls, I thought the problem had been resolved, until I tried to enter the County Stand and found that the “press pass” that I had been issued with only gave me access to Tattersalls and the Paddock area. That may sound self-important and pompous, but it is not the easiest thing to do, trying to report on a day’s racing when it is almost impossible to get a vantage point that enables you to see the course. My binoculars stayed in their case all day and I watched the races on the big screen televisions dotted around the course. A good view of the racing but one that I could have had at home in my living room.

After the difficulties I experienced getting into the course I found myself in the area of the parade-ring, which is located in the centre of the course and access from that area to the main stands is by a subway. Twenty minutes before the first race and I realised I didn’t have a race card, couldn’t find a race card seller in the centre of the course, dozens of security personnel but no race-card seller!!!

Had to settle for paddock-watching from memory and the bookies boards. Seven fillies paraded for the traditional opener to the meeting, the Lily Agnes Stakes a helter-skelter five furlong dash for 2-y-os. Fast Feet and Artdeal looked the nicest but the winner was the Richard Hannon-trained, Cracking, given a classic Chester-ride by Hughsey, breaking quickly and railing like the hare in the Walthamstow 2.44, hanging on to resist the late challenge of Fast Feet who wasn’t the quickest away from the stalls, and that possibly cost her the race. Artdeal seemed to have trouble handling the course and was eased down by Spencer in the straight.

Right, I had to find a race card, so, through the subway and into the heaving mass that was Tattersalls. I eventually found a lady who was in a kiosk that stated Racecards For Sale but sadly she had sold out, ten minutes after the first race!!!!!! My bacon was saved when a very nice man who was a member of the raceday staff kindly gave me his racecard and he wouldn’t take anything for it, Thank-you, Sir!!!!

Back through the throng, through the subway and a quick view of the potential Oaks fillies taking part in the Cheshire Oaks. It was just possible to see the fillies through the massed ranks of television crews. I counted three teams, Channel 4, Racing UK and a crew that were putting out the coverage for the course. Also spotted a rather pregnant Emma Spencer, Emms the prominent belly-button did nothing for me, love.

A good-looking field for this, with the first three in the race; Light Shift, a little on the small side, All My Loving, a tall scopey filly who wouldn’t have been ideally suited by this course and perhaps, to my mind, the nicest and the one I would have taken home, Fashion Statement, all looked classy fillies. Fashion Statement hasn’t got an Oaks entry, Light Shift is as short as 7/1 in some places and looks the ideal type for Epsom, and All My Loving is as big as 20/1 and doesn’t look the Epsom type. Another that caught my eye, was the strong-looking Golden Dagger, outclassed here but looks capable of winning races at her level.

Then my cup runneth over, the rain arrived, 90 minutes before it was forecast, all shelter was quickly occupied and I had to enjoy my pint of Guinness in the rain.

A field of seventeen were due to line up for the Chester Cup, the next on the card. Two miles and a quarter, twice around and then some on this frying-pan of a course. Last years winner, Admiral, was looking for a repeat but I didn’t like the look of the heavy bandages on his front legs. Galient, the second favourite looked well but faded three out, the third in the betting Som Tala got a negative in the paddock from me, he looked to be in much the same mood as I was and was lashing-out behind. Fair Along, who eventually went off favourite, looked and ran well considering the way he has been campaigned. Enjoy The Moment was another that looked well, and his running-on third suggests that this lightly-raced 4-y-o should be a horse to have on your side in long-distance handicaps this season.

I was confident that I had the winner of the ten furlong Chester Handicap. Stotsfold had already won twice on the course and is the sort of horse that I think will progress out of handicaps into Group races eventually. He was carrying top weight here but I felt he could defy that. He looked well in the pre-parade ring, possibly likely to benefit from the run, and I asked the lass leading him up if I should risk ten pence on him, she said yes, so I did. I was getting ready to collect my money as he looked the winner when he went into the lead two furlongs out, but he wasn’t able to hold off the late challenge of the unconsidered 50/1 shot, Temple Place. Unconsidered by most that is, I was talking to a lady afterwards who had backed him each-way because young Donald McCain lived just around the corner from her!

The rain was getting heavier. Found some solace at the Caribbean Bar with a pint of Red Stripe and a little shelter under one of those huge umbrellas that you will see more of once the smoking-ban comes in, in July.

A twelve furlong 3-y-o handicap to savour next and the first chance to see Michael Hills ride the course. I’m not a big fan of the Hills twins but Michael does seem to ride this track well. His horse, Mandragola, was the 16/1 outsider of the seven-runner field. Mandragola looked nice enough in the pre-parade ring, and as he had had only the three runs I thought there was a chance that he could take this. He ran well enough, being there with chances entering the final furlong but weakening close home. I heard Hills say that the horse was on the wrong lead all the way around, so perhaps he can do better in future, perhaps over a more conventional track. The winner, the Mark Johnston-trained, Swiss Act, was on his toes before-hand but was given a sound ride by J-P. Guillambert, and ran on with the determination that is the hallmark of this yard.

Still raining, and with a five-runner field and a long-odds-on favourite in the last, I decided to make a SHARP EXIT!! I wasn’t the only one with that idea. A quick walk back to the city centre and, very gratefully, onto the Frequent, Fast and Free bus back to the station.

Time for a pint or two and a little reflection.

A couple of thoughts, if Steve McQueen had wanted to get into Chester Racecourse today, it wouldn’t have been worthwhile him getting on his bike.

And the other one.

I am a great fan of Ian Rankin’s ‘Inspector Rebus’ books and the title of the one I am reading at the moment is “Fleshmarket Close”. It is set, as all of the Rebus books are, in Edinburgh, but with that title it could easily have been describing Chester Racecourse. I feel sure that most of the lingerie stores, and departments, in the north-west, will have sold out of push-up bras.

The verdict, not surprisingly, not for me."

Apologies for the length of the post.

What!!!!! :what: :what:

47 views since I made the post above and not one reply................I have the feeling I have made a Peter Kay booboo?!.............or am I paranoid??

It was a superb post, Colin. Rich in content, overflowing with personality aided by sensational literary skills.

it was an interesting post Colin, but what can we say? It's a shame you didn't enjoy it... we can only all go on personal experience I suppose, everyone has their favourite courses.

I've only ever been to Chester with an ROA-scheme Owners' Badge [once when Oceans Apart won for Elite] and each time I've come away with rather more money than when I went in! - so I'm biased

I thought the usual way to get awarded pattern race status was to do some work building them up the quality of the race in the first place. I thought it would be up to Chester to itself take the initiative by bumping up the prize money of selected races in order to attract better quality fields. After a few years of this, if the quality of horses running in the race has been high enough, promotion to pattern status would be almost automatic.

For example, there is a sprint on Irish Derby day at The Curragh which is worth 50k+ to the winner and will surely be incorprated into the pattern in due course.

The only proviso, I thought, was that existing pattern races should not be damaged as a result.

Which races do Chester have in mind for upgrading?

Thanks for the link, Gareth.

It seems that I am right. The awarding of pattern status only takes place after a race has achieved a certain quality for at least three years. If Chester targets and builds up selected races to the required level pattern status will follow in all probability.

It is not in the gift of the BHB to simply decide to award Group status to certain races, at Chester or anywhere else.

Thanks for that Grey, very interesting information.
Maybe you should email the MD at Chester and draw their attention to the relevant clause!

Back