Childhood Sporting Heros

Tony Greig when I was about 3
Caroline Bradly (rip)
and without any shadow of a doubt, Steve Cauthen when I was a bit older. :)

Caroline used to send her young horses to the riding school/jumping yard I used to help out at when I was a kid - one of them gave me both barrels in the ribs when it shied at a passing lorry with a flapping tarpauline.

Mine were The Whitaker brothers - such calm empathetic riders.
Barry Sheene (RIP)
James Hunt (RIP)

Fantastic thread - really bringing back some childhood memories I must say. Delighted to see Steve Heighway get two votes!

Jonjo O'Neill
Kenny Dalglish
Pat Spillane
Lee Trevino
Shirley Crabtree

Tony Currie.

I was nine when Sheffield United signed him and eighteen when they sold him. I regarded him as a God.

He was sixty on New Year's Day but for me he'll always be twenty one, shirt outside his shorts, taking apart visiting defences single-handed.

My original sporting icons, although one of them died when I was 5, and the other left my club at the same age, were Ayrton Senna and Andy Cole, the latter used to live next door to me whilst he played for us...

Obviously, with one being dead and the other playing for a pathetic little southern football club, it was tough to keep them as practicing idols for my formative years, so my true childhood heroes were/are Alan Shearer, Alec Stewart, Ronnie O'Sullivan, David Coulthard, Hiacham El Gerrouj and Ronaldo.

Although I usually consider myself an adult, many close to me would still consider me a child, so my current heroes are Tiger Woods, Rafael Nadal, Fernando Alonso and Fernando Torres in addition to the ones above, with the natural addition of Bruno Senna soon enough.

There is probably someone glaringly obvious that completely slips my mind at the minute, but it will come back to me.

In the equestrian world:

Caroline Bradley and her gorgeous Tigre.
John Whitaker and Ryan's Son.
John Francome.
Peter Easterby.
Steve Cauthen.
Vincent O'Brien.

Other sport's:

Ayrton Senna.
Brian Clough.
Muhammad Ali.
Marvin Hagler.

Back