Christophe Soumillon

Irish Stamp

Forum Moderator
Just shot a mile clear in the French Champion Hurdle on board Mandali - won by half of Paris over odds-on favourite Questarabad amongst others.

Not seen the race but by the sound of it it's well worth paying to see.

Thanks for putting that up, KK.

Last time I saw a race like that was more than thirty years ago. It was a bumper at Fairyhouse and every rider bar the winner got suspended for injudicious riding. But this was worse because it's a big race and the riders are professionals.

We shouldn't be surprised, should we? They'll probably warn the owner of the winner off for laying it at 1.1 after a mile ;)

He was over 20s clear at one point! Soumi throwing his whip into the crowd on the run in is hilarious. I'm surprised he didn't do a handstand.

Last time I saw a race like that was more than thirty years ago. It was a bumper at Fairyhouse and every rider bar the winner got suspended for injudicious riding. But this was worse because it's a big race and the riders are professionals.

Shay Barry did something relatively similar in a Listowel novice hurdle aboard No Full a couple of years ago, poaching a massive lead and never being remotely challenged. Admittedly I don't think it was quite a lead!

Philip Carberry will be disappointed to have been unseated as well I would think; really should have stayed on.

From the RP:

Questarabad's trainer Marcel Rolland said: "Regis Schmidlin did nothing wrong and I have nothing to complain about."

:lol:

It's not just over here where you can't slate jockeys Gareth ;)

I wouldn't mind so much but they let the same thing happen at Auteuil last September/October time with a filly named Font Froide, she built up a huge lead and was never sighted.

4714574611_25d826af46.jpg

I do not think I have ever seen anything like it...loves the way Soumi kept reassuring the horse throughout the race.

Truly amazing! I am not sure I like him, it's on .... and off, I think he can be daft in all of his celebrating, himself mostly. Hated the ride he gave Hurricane Run in KG... and Ouija Board at Sandown.

However, can ride sometimes for sure!

Maybe they all thought a flat jockey would go off too quick and they'd just wait, and get him later on. Ha!

Really incredible.

I don't know whether to be just incredulous or suspicious!

Disgraceful jockeyship from the others.

That's incredible. I've seen similar happen in Ireland but the point comes around 4f out when jocks realise they need to get a move on. These lads turned into the straight still cantering. Did they forget about him in front? I can only assume the ones behind didn't know he was so far clear. how much was that race worth?

Incroyable indeed! Thanks for that, KK - ride of the year! Love Soumi pointing to his head as he finishes, as if to say, just use it, guys, and reassuring the little horse on the way round. I don't think he goes beyond 7/8 pace to win - what larks!

Last edited:
I love Christophe Soumillon. A great jockey and one with real character, I'd have him on a nag of mine any day.

Funniest bit for me is at about 5:40, when the "pursuers" are coming into the straight - Soumi has just looked round to see where the rest are (he'd need the Hubble telescope), it cuts back to the rest of them and the guy in last place takes a look over his shoulder as well - what in the name of all that is holy is he looking for lol

Back