Cork All Star

Irish Stamp

Forum Moderator
I know he had a few fans on here and probably some who'd been wondering where he'd got to.

He turned up in a Point-To-Point at Cottenham today - still in the colours of Cillian Ryan though now trained by Jo Quinlan (wife of Mick) and ridden by the impressive Jack Quinlan. CAS started a 5/4 favourite and won cosily against a couple of useful opponents.

Excellent! Glad to know the dear horse didn't end up visiting an abattoir or shipped off to race in Ulan Bator. If you can keep us updated with any who 'retire' to PTPs, IS, I'd be most grateful.

Sure Kri - a favourite of yours I believe is Honourable Spider who finished second to Cork All Star, The Hollow Bottom ran abysmally today in the Mens Open which was won by pointing pointer (as opposed to ex-rules pointer) Posh Dude.

The following also ran:
Calgary Jock (Mens Open)
Locksmith (Mens Open)
Keepthedreamalive (Unstead in the Mens Open)
Le Seychellois (Mens Open)
Start Royal (Mens Open)

Kicks For Free made it 2/2 in Points with his second course victory in the Ladies Open under owner/trainer Angela Rucker.

Tank Top (ex-Tom George) unseated in the Open Maiden which ended in controversy after the Phil York trained and ridden Ringa Bay was thrown out for allegedly cutting up the Alan Hill/James Tudor horse Viel Gluck (ex-Ferdy Murphy) - though to mine and most other peoples eyes at the course Ringa Bay was 2 or so lengths clear when he came over to the rail with Tudor never having to stop riding and Ringa Bay being eased close home.

Martin

It was atrocious Shads - someone commented that the Stewards at Cottenham never give him any decisions, Coka ran well for him for a long way in the finale though and Ringa Bay will most definitely be following up NTO if they keep him to the East Anglia/South East area (Detling/Charing/Ampton most likely).

Would be in no doubt that the best horse on the day was placed second - there's a decent thread on it over at JFF, not sure how anyone could think it was the right decision unless they'd got the milk bottle out again for Viel Gluck.

I've just looked at JFF now Martin, it sounds as though Phil was treated very badly and I'm sure - and I hope! - that he will have fought his corner vociferously. It certainly sounds like it was a joke decision, it's only a shame that - so far as I know - the results in pointing cannot be appealed to a higher board as under rules where you can appeal to the BHA to have a result reversed. I can imagine that the atmosphere in Cobham tonight isn't the best!

I'm not even sure why the reversed it - there was no objection it was just a straight Stewards enquiry.

I'd hope so too - comparisons where drawn with the Teeton Bollinger affair at Dingley last May of which I'm not overly familiar with but apparently that was bad too.

Hopefully he'll be back to Cottenham but on todays evidence I'd advise all jockeys at the track to steer as straight a line as is possible from the last onwards.

There were a number of sizeable bets struck on Viel Gluck as you'd expect for an Alan Hill horse that was seemingly travelling well when coming to grief last time out (though at one point one book was betting 5/4 each of 3 - Viel Gluck, Ringa Bay and Tank Top) and even those who'd struck them were shocked that the result was overturned (1/3 Ringa Bay, evs Viel Gluck with one bookmaker standing).

Will have to go some to beat On The Fringe DV - more immediately he heads to Higham for a Mens Open and then Hunter Chases.

Good stuff.

Cillian is the elest son of Cathal. He really just wants him as a runner for family reasons as far as I am told.

Not sure about him getting a strongly run champion hunter chase, but it is great to know that he is being looked after. I would have run him in the 2m hunter chase at the big April Cheltenham meeting!!!

Last edited:
Aim wasn't too well yesterday morning (slightly lame) - nothing serious but it stopped him from running.

Plenty of options coming up in the next couple of weekends so we'll be taking up one of them :)

Update on a few Ex-Rules horses who ran this past weekend:

Ex-Nicholls horse Perouse won down at Black Forest Lodge
Ex-Alan King staying hurdler/chaser Nenuphar Collonges (a 50k+ purchase in the Summer) finished third for Phillip Prince in the Mens Open at Larkhill, he stayed on well from the second last but as ever he raced lazily and wore blinkers.
Preacher Boy finished second for Phillip Prince in the first division of the Members to return to some form after a poor 2010.
Naunton Brook finished second to Dammam in an incident packed second division of the Members on his UK pointing debut.
Ex-Jonjo runner Fresh Air And Fun was backed from 10/1 into 7/2 before unseating owner/rider Alistair Ralph in the first division of the Members race.

And two for the future - both from the Richard Barber academy:
Bucks Bond (a nephew of Big Bucks) was attempting to make it 2/2 in P2Ps following a Maiden win at Bratton Down and was travelling well upsides Dust In Time when unshipping Will Biddick at the second last. He should be making amends in the grade soon enough and is owned by Paul Nicholls and Anthony Bromley.

Dualla Lord has had a chequered career thus far with a fall behind Peddlers Cross on debut and a poor run on his only starts in Ireland in 2009 (on good/yielding and heavy). He returned in May 2010 with a good win in a Maiden at Lisronagh and was purchased by Paul Barber in the Summer, he was sent off a short priced favourite to beat a field which also included his stablemates Bold Chief (Jack Barber) and Fredwal (Alice Mills) - he won comfortably and was pushed out under hands and heels riding after the last and both he and Bucks Bond look capable of making their mark under rules in 2011/12.

Martin

Cork All Star took the Mens Open again ridden by Jack Quinlan by 15 lengths from Start Royal (previously 6 from 7 in P2P's)

King Harald is acting as a schoolmaster and finished fifth at Charing today

Naunton Brook and Battlecry both won at Dunthrop last week under Willie Twiston-Davies

Terrific! Thanks a mill, IS, for these updates. Great to know where some of them are fetching up. I did love CAS, and also TANK TOP, who showed so much early promise but faded fairly quickly out of competitive chasing. Fab news about darling KING HARALD - Mattie Batchelor's favourite horse, I should think!

Back