Cracksman

Ardross

Senior Jockey
Although he was impressive today he took a long time to get past the leader and Cloth of Stars was given a very poor ride giving Cracksman five lengths start.

He seems to take a while to warm up and if she has the same zip as at three surely there is a risk Enable will be able to nip clear and have enough in reserve to hold his late charge ?

Although he was impressive today he took a long time to get past the leader and Cloth of Stars was given a very poor ride giving Cracksman five lengths start.

He seems to take a while to warm up and if she has the same zip as at three surely there is a risk Enable will be able to nip clear and have enough in reserve to hold his late charge ?

There is no way to ride Cloth of Stars that would beat Cracksman.
Enable or no Enable Cracksman should be the most exciting horse on the flat this year

Being old I remember Mill Reef winning this against better horses without turning a hair.......30K was the prize back then 340k now.

10 times more money for a horse not even 10 times as good........exaggeration of course.

If Cracksman goes through the season unbeaten I am a Dutchman he is far from special IMO

There is no way to ride Cloth of Stars that would beat Cracksman.
Enable or no Enable Cracksman should be the most exciting horse on the flat this year
Whichever way you dress it up, it was a far better ride from Frankie than that of Barzalona. He certainly put the Godolphin pacemaker to better use than the horse intended for. Wouldn't be writing Enable off either, on the strength of one run from her likely rival.

Being old I remember Mill Reef winning this against better horses without turning a hair.......30K was the prize back then 340k now.

10 times more money for a horse not even 10 times as good........exaggeration of course.

If Cracksman goes through the season unbeaten I am a Dutchman he is far from special IMO

"Far from special", let's see how this plays out.

Whichever way you dress it up, it was a far better ride from Frankie than that of Barzalona. He certainly put the Godolphin pacemaker to better use than the horse intended for. Wouldn't be writing Enable off either, on the strength of one run from her likely rival.

Probably true even if CoS is usually ridden further back, but in the end nothing changes because the winner is far superior to the rest in this race

Last edited:
Great to see the lad back and dispatch these as expected.

Ground and pace are key in any race so the outcome could change depending on either/both.
Quick ground and or slower fractions and he potentially has those questions to answer.

I have loved him since his Newmarket maiden and today sets up the rest of the season nicely.

These early season races mean very little especially when you are having to be stoked to beat a 80/1 shot.

Go to you tube and watch Mill Reef absolutely saunter home by 10 lengths and compare it to this Cracksman fellow.

He beat the best in Europe that day and not even Frankel could have done better

The truth about Cracksman is he was beaten in both Derbys and had won only one sub standard Group 1 which was not good enough to be going to stud with considering who his pappa was.

So he is back in training and got off to a good start in a poor renewal of the Ganay (Due to the fact half the field were unfit)

He comes up against Enable she will destroy him and she will most likely have more to fear from the best 3 year old that emerges

It gets worse when you look at the likes of the Queen Ann or the Lockhinge it's with good reason WinX decided to stay home such is the lack of competition available for her to enhance her reputation

I really hope the 3 year olds come up with something better or it's going to be one boring season

Last edited:
Quick look at the sectionals confirms the race turned into a speed test, and Cracksman was best placed to take to advantage - much as he was in last season's better run Champion Stakes.
Bearing in mind his breeding, and his performance in last year's Derby, he's no laydown to last the Arc trip - just yet, leastways.

Exactly. With the blue bin brigade clearing ******* the tactics up as usual and Rhododendron badly needing the run the race took no winning at all.

Some of the responses on here are just downright hilarious. Great amusement with the morning coffee.

Euro, Rhododendron is not in the same hemisphere as Cracksman. He'll have her for lunch anytime, anywhere.

Also odd coming from you that the race took no winning at all.
Here you were before the race and I quote:

" Yeah, I thought he'd be 3s tops (referring to Cloth of Stars). Pacemaker is a massive plus and he's a good bet. "

So the horse with two runs under his belt this season with bonafide formlines from last year, 2nd to Enable in the Arc, against the season starting Cracksman gets beaten fair and square yet the first and second predictable response is and I paraphrase, shitt ride and what did he beat?

Whatever happened to the simplest of all conclusions, best horse won the race.
All sounds a bit disingenious to me but the good thing is we can follow all this as the season progresses

" Yeah, I thought he'd be 3s tops (referring to Cloth of Stars). Pacemaker is a massive plus and he's a good bet. "

So the horse with two runs under his belt this season with bonafide formlines from last year, 2nd to Enable in the Arc, against the season starting Cracksman gets beaten fair and square yet the first and second predictable response is and I paraphrase, shitt ride and what did he beat?

I bet Cloth of Stars expecting him to track his pacemaker and ask Cracksman a question. Terrible tactics means he was the one giving first run. Under those circumstances the blue bin brigade just gave the race to Cracksman without a fight.

"Pacemaker is a massive plus" was the phrase you quoted, turns out it was a massive negative. And that's the thing about betting that is always a conundrum, a question mark - the human element.

Last edited:
. And that's the thing about betting that is always a conundrum, a question mark - the human element.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

I haven't yet seen the race but from what I made out from the backend of last season I thought Cracksman and Enable were both very good horses without being exceptional.

I like Tanlic hope something emerges from the 3yo's to be better. I'm hoping that it turns out to be Ghaiyyath on nothing more really than a hunch but if not him then I'm sure something else will emerge to eclipse the best of last seasons lot.

On my figures both Cracksman and Enable are bordering on the exceptional depending, I suppose, on how you define "exceptional".

I'd be tempted to bracket "exceptional" in the 135+ region, where 126 should win a decent G1.

Frankel was closer to 150. He was beyond exceptional!

Last edited:
Couldn't have put it better myself.

I haven't yet seen the race but from what I made out from the backend of last season I thought Cracksman and Enable were both very good horses without being exceptional.

I like Tanlic hope something emerges from the 3yo's to be better. I'm hoping that it turns out to be Ghaiyyath on nothing more really than a hunch but if not him then I'm sure something else will emerge to eclipse the best of last seasons lot.

Good luck with that venture then.

Even if I have no idea today what this 3yo crop might turn out to be, I'll be amazed if there is a 3yo that can hang with Cracksman.
If there was some sort of betting market to that effect I'd wager a rare small fortune if the odds were fair.

On my figures both Cracksman and Enable are bordering on the exceptional depending, I suppose, on how you define "exceptional".

I'd be tempted to bracket "exceptional" in the 135+ region, where 126 should win a decent G1.

Frankel was closer to 150. He was beyond exceptional!

I'd say that's about right for now with the definite possibility of more to come at least in the case of Cracksman.
Will have to wait and see how Enable shows up from her winter hibernation.

Some of the responses on here are just downright hilarious. Great amusement with the morning coffee.

Euro, Rhododendron is not in the same hemisphere as Cracksman. He'll have her for lunch anytime, anywhere.

Also odd coming from you that the race took no winning at all.

Whatever happened to the simplest of all conclusions, best horse won the race.
All sounds a bit disingenious to me but the good thing is we can follow all this as the season progresses
Two points:
Amdre Fabre said, before the race, he thought Cloth Of Stars better @ 12f so the pace would hardly have been in his favour, even before Barzalona chose to ignore it.
The" season starting" Cracksman was given a racecourse gallop prior to shipping out, which suggests John Gosden viewed his debut more seriously than he would have us believe.

Its hard not to love Tanlic at times. Had to go back to 1972 to find a beast and performance that could add merit to his contention that Cracksman is overrated. Quality stuff that.

In other news; Siegfried and Roy were never a patch on Houdini.

Quick look at the sectionals confirms the race turned into a speed test, and Cracksman was best placed to take to advantage - much as he was in last season's better run Champion Stakes.

So he stole the race yesterday and pinched 7 lengths at Ascot! :whistle:

Its hard not to love Tanlic at times. Had to go back to 1972 to find a beast and performance that could add merit to his contention that Cracksman is overrated. Quality stuff that.

In other news; Siegfried and Roy were never a patch on Houdini.

ROFLMAO :lol::lol:

Back