Curragh Sunday

• Thread starter Thread starter Gearoid
  • Start date Start date
G

Gearoid

The main events now look a victory parade for Strong Suit and Fame And Glory, Dunboyne Express absence has robbed up of the clash of the weekend.

The 3.45 Group 2 for fillies slightly makes up for it with Together coming up against the unbeaten Seeharn and Paul Cole's Lily Again. Very hard to see Together getting turned over but Seeharn has nothing wrong so far and a bit of ease in the ground should see her run her race.

Tomorrow also looks the last go for Glor Na Mora to make any inroads into his gallops reputation

In the other races only maybe Pencil Hill in the 5.45 is worth a look.

Indeed Gearoid - plenty of money around for the second string Misty For Me 20/1 in the morning and 8/1 on course.

The two for money finish one and two. Amazing how right the market got that race.

So what do we make of Zoffany's run in Ascot when he was a big negative in the market now? Or do we assume Strong Suit has run below par? Glor Na Mara has come on a lot but on a line through him you would say Dunboyne Express would have won today.

More questions than answwrs.

Much the same Euro - chased two pacemakers in a Group race and then went past them under riding, whip came out late on but overall a satisfactory rather than spectacular prep for bigger races later on in the season

Fame And Glory was given a canter around and only really asked to extend under hands and heels in the last furlong and a half.

Much the same Euro - chased two pacemakers in a Group race and then went past them under riding, whip came out late on but overall a satisfactory rather than spectacular prep for bigger races later on in the season

Didnt notice the whip myself but its fair to say all we learned was that he still has a leg in either corner.

So what do we make of Zoffany's run in Ascot when he was a big negative in the market now? Or do we assume Strong Suit has run below par? Glor Na Mara has come on a lot but on a line through him you would say Dunboyne Express would have won today.

More questions than answwrs.

I think it would be misleading to judge Dunboyne through Glor Na Mara. The Bolger horse obviously improved for his debut (he actually travelled well for a long time in that race) and improved well past Samuel Morse today. I was impressed by Zoffany who came from a difficult position and looked like he'll improve for a step back up to 7f. He wouldn't be the first O'Brien horse to leave a poor Coventry run behind him (Rock of Gibraltar and Holy Roman Emperor spring to mind) and the Phoenix remains a graveyard for Coventry winners (Three Valleys, Hellvelyn, Henrythenavigator, Art Connossieur and now Strong Suit).

You would think it will be a Group 1 next for Zoffany - Heinz or straight to the National Stakes....think he won't be far off their best by the end of the season.

I thought today would be too sharp for him - high class colt that appears to be thriving on racing, the type his trainer does well with. Glor Na Mara looks to have ran a huge race.

As for Dunboyne Express - I am just wary with Prendergast and his two year olds and how the generally progress.

As for Dunboyne Express - I am just wary with Prendergast and his two year olds and how the generally progress.

A fair shout, he had a filly that everyone was waxing lyrical about a few years ago after two very impressive two year old runs, name escapes me (Evening Time?) who turned out to be useless.

I dont think she is a fair example. She needed very soft going and had a delayed start to her 3yo career

Yes I would not use her as an example either - just a general over all feeling I have for Prendergast's two year olds. I actually think Weld is in a similar enough boat, will often see impressive wins first or second time out but generally (and there are of course always exceptions) alot of them do not go on as regularly as an O'Brien/Bolger two year old.

Kingsfort might have broke the mould if he had dont dissapeared into the Godolphin swamp. He does not even get a mention on their website anymore.

Kingsfort might have broke the mould if he had dont dissapeared into the Godolphin swamp. He does not even get a mention on their website anymore.

Is Dunboyne headed to the same address?

P.S. in response to an earlier post, the whip was not used on Fame and Glory

I thought as much re the whip. I think it is very likely Dunboyne will end up at Godolphoin. €10 million was paid for Chabal. What owner can turn down that sort of offer?

Are you sure about Chabal?!

Godolphin should just take Dunboyne Express quickly now he's injured - will save them the trouble of doing it themselves .. :p

Last edited:
Am I sure they paid €10 million, yes. Of course at the time it might have looked a fair risk.

I thought as much re the whip. I think it is very likely Dunboyne will end up at Godolphoin. €10 million was paid for Chabal. What owner can turn down that sort of offer?

Wow, that's some price for Chabal. Did Bolger do a good job of talking that one up on the back of Teofilo and New Approach in the previous 2 seasons? The National Stakes form from last year doesn't look that great now. I wonder how much they paid for Kingsfort?

I also wonder if they'll have their eye on a couple of Jessie Harringtons.

Back