Dan Skelton and Harry Fry

harry

At the Start
Great piece in the RP about Harry Fry today.

Anyone think one of these two could spring a winner at the festival?

Seem to have good young unexposed horses.

Good to see young trainers doing well

Yes they could - like Fry's Mendip Express for the four miler and sure that Skelton could sneak one of the handicaps with a bit of luck.

Martin

Also Rock on Ruby in the Arkle will hopefully be there or there abouts

I haven’t read the RP, but have seen plenty of these 2 on RUK over the last couple of months and they both come across fantastically well. They look like sensible, hard working & likeable guys and if I was in the position to have a horse with someone, they’d both be near the top of my list

Yes they could - like Fry's Mendip Express for the four miler and sure that Skelton could sneak one of the handicaps with a bit of luck.

Martin

I thought he looked on a stiff handicap mark going into it, but he was frighteningly good on New Year's Day at Cheltenham - a race which will be written off by many due to the conditions, but it would be a brave man who thought the standing water/missed fences did him any favours.

I haven’t read the RP, but have seen plenty of these 2 on RUK over the last couple of months and they both come across fantastically well. They look like sensible, hard working & likeable guys and if I was in the position to have a horse with someone, they’d both be near the top of my list

Agree with this, they come across really well and I can only wish them the very best and have two very good chances at least to score at Cheltenham, I would think they have as much chance as Gigginstown have of getting a winner.

Agree

If Willows Saviour wins the betfair hurdle, Skelton could have the Supreme favourite. He has transformed that horse.

Fry's strike rate is exceptional. Very balanced and intelligent guy as well.

Think I posted this somewhere else but all 67 runners in the Supreme who took part in anything other than a novice hurdle in their previous race, so for instance the Betfair, have lost.

That may be true, DG, but over the last three seasons, GMOOH, Darlan and MTOY have all run in the Betfair as novices, and all three were placed in the Supreme.

...he was frighteningly good on New Year's Day at Cheltenham - a race which will be written off by many due to the conditions, but it would be a brave man who thought the standing water/missed fences did him any favours.

That was my impression that day too so I'm wondering why he couldn't back it up next time? You certainly couldn't put it down to the going.

Too soon?
Not really off?

Skelton has gone terribly recently imo...both jockey and trainer doing themselves no favours. Think they need to split.

Strikes me that a lot of decent novices are being put out by Skelton to win (or try to win) with multiple penalties. Its no wonder they are not sighted once better horses are out, handicapped up to the hilt. Whether they are maximising their potential is arguable.

One thing that I note about Harry Skelton's horses. They seem to make a lot of mistakes late on in races, often with races in the bag. I wouldn't be a fan.

Winning two bob races during the summer doesn't make a trainer...he's not where he wants to be I'd argue. I've seen Harry firing his whip and helmet when one hits the deck recently too. Think a lot of frustration is building. Wouldn't send him a decent horse at this point. Fry is far better at nurturing them.

Yeah right Treffich...you are way off IMVHO. First off training bad horses is much tougher than training the Altiors of the game.

Fry has Youknowhatimeanharry who has earned 400k for him yet Skelton has brought in 1.5million pounds more for his owners

The Sketons best horse is Ch'Tibello and Al Ferof so there's no superstars propping up the numbers for them,

I'd say a lot of hard graft and skill is what makes them successful.......can't knock them at all and I reckon they will go right to the top.

Horses at one point who looked destinted for the top, horses full of promise like Value at Risk, Captian Chaos, Itsafreebee, North Hill Harvey...I dont know, I wouldnt be sending it to Skelton. The way he campaigns his horses, it looks like he is trying to emulate Twiston-Davies rather than Nicholls. It maybe that he has had a bad year but having thought he was the most likely next champion, I have severe doubts now.

Back