Darley Buy Stonerside

Irish Stamp

Forum Moderator
Very interesting bit of business - getting top mares such as Freefourracing, Argentina, Tuzla, Tout Charmant as well as racehorses like Michita and Raven's Pass (outright).

Also note that Jim Bolger had a Stonerside bred 2yo group winner over the weekend - wonder if there's more to that than meets the eye?

Either way good bit of business for Darley.

I get the feeling something big is about to change at Godolphin.

Here's a theory - he's going back to how it used to be. Individual trainers looking after the maroon silks, and the cream of the crop at Godolphin. Fabre, Bolger and Johnston being the trainers in question (although the colours will be his son's and his wife's) and Suroor remaining with a much scaled down version of Godolphin at Newmarket. Just throwing it out there.

I wonder is there a need for a regulatory authority on preventing Sheikh M buying too many organisations?

I happen to like him, and what he gives to racing but it's verging on being dangerous for the sport.

Julian Muscat Commentary – From The Times
Had it happened 20 years ago, André Fabre's recruitment by Sheikh Mohammed would have made front-page headlines everywhere. The alliance between the world's biggest owner and arguably the world's best trainer represents a marriage in thoroughbred heaven.
In those 20 years, however, Sheikh Mohammed's appetite for big deals has served to blunt their impact. That is almost certainly why Fabre's decision to take in 110 of his horses has attracted minimal comment. Yet it is highly significant. The deal with Fabre, ostensibly to prime young horses for Godolphin, is the best bit of business the sheikh has done in years.
Never mind those multimillion-dollar yearling purchases, Fabre's recruitment fills a gaping hole within the sheikh's set-up. Any trainer is only ever as good as his horses. The biggest problem annually for Godolphin is finding sufficient horses to compete on a global scale. That should no longer be an issue.
No other trainer can match Fabre's deeds. He is a master who gives horses time, bringing them forward only when they are ready. Swain was a perfect example. From an unconventional preparation by Fabre, Swain finished a fine third in the 1995 Arc before his transfer to Godolphin and successive victories in the King George. Doyen and Papineau were other Godolphin stars who benefited for their early tutelage with Fabre.
Top of Form
Bottom of Form
The alliance makes sense for both parties. For the first time in 22 seasons, Fabre has competition for the French trainers' title. The mercurial handler has suffered for the passing of his principal owner, Jean-Luc Lagardere. His relationship with the Aga Khan, who bought all the Lagardere horses, survived just two seasons. His career was in a state of flux.
The most interesting aspect of the relationship will involve the transfer of horses to Godolphin. Historically, Godolphin stock up with back-end two-year-olds but given Fabre's prowess, it will be a waste of his talent if he does not keep some raw three-year-olds to campaign alongside horses belonging to the handful of other owners he retains.
For Sheikh Mohammed, the union should resolve the perennially thorny issue of plucking back-end two-year-olds from the stables of his British trainers. While most trainers have become compliant, the process has always been too inexact a science. There are countless examples of unraced two-year-olds, their ability apparently indecipherable, which blossom at three.
Having a successful juvenile academy is fundamental to Godolphin's future. The concept failed ten years ago when David Loder was installed at Evry racecourse, which proved wholly inadequate for the purpose. In the interim, however, Godolphin have been unable to bring forward their own in sufficient numbers.
Contrary to common perception, this isn't surprising. Every year trainers recoil at the prospect of taking in young horses, many of them riddled with highly contagious respiratory diseases whose spread can decimate strings. Besides, training two-year-olds is an entirely different discipline to training older horses. It has been noticeable down the years how even the best struggle to excel with both simultaneously.
Godolphin had already streamlined their juvenile intake prior to the sheikh's link with Fabre. A further reduction in juvenile numbers is on the cards. Godolphin are better off with Fabre concentrating on the juveniles while they campaign the older horses with which they forged their reputation.
It will help Godolphin immeasurably that Fabre is a realist. He will deliver an expertly marked card during the annual handover. He constantly counsels against high expectations of horses he remains unconvinced about - witness his early-season caution over Getaway and Proviso, neither of which has achieved what many expected.
If Sheikh Mohammed has spent prolifically to arrest his sliding fortunes, his increased patronage of Fabre is the brightest ray of hope.

Is Muscat trying to say Fabre will be the new David Loder, training only 2 year olds for Godolphin?! This would be a colossal mistake on Godolphin's part, as it's not, imo, Fabre's area of expertise, and taking them from Fabre is going to ensure they have the same problems they have not with their current set up. Surely the move to sending horses to Fabre would result in those horses remaining with him throughout their career, resulting in a change of silks if required for exposure purposes?

I doubt very much Fabre would want to act as a feeder trainer to Bin Suroor..

Thisarticle, from the-racecourse.com, is interesting because it presents Fabre's take on the deal. By the way, the Sheikh bought Stonerside stud farm in 2007.

Sheikh Mohammed acquires Fabre's main yard

Sheikh Mohammed has become the principal patron of France's leading trainer Andre Fabre in a move that has seen him acquire the handler's main yard at Chantilly. Sheikh Mohammed will send over 100 horses to Fabre, who will retain only five or six other, longstanding, clients with around 100 horses between them.
Fabre told the Jour de Galop: "Sheikh Mohammed has just acquired my main yard at Chantilly, which is called the 'Rothschild yard'. There are about 110 stalls in this yard, and they will be occupied in the future by Sheikh Mohammed's horses.
"This evolution is a radical change in my organization--it is the beginning of a new era for me. Sheikh Mohammed will be, by far, my main owner. This autumn, I will receive approximately 35 two-year-olds and around 70 yearlings from him."
Fabre confirmed that he will not be training for Godolphin: "The Godolphin stable is the flag-bearer of Dubai, and the pride of the ruler of Dubai. Therefore, some of the best horses I'll train for him in Chantilly will be transferred in due time to the Dubai stable. It's a gentlemens' agreement that was concluded with the Sheikh, and I will stick to it 100 percent with no hesitation or regret."

The whole idea of taking horses, who are positively thriving under their current training regime, and transferring them to a completely different environment, is fundamentaly flawed.

If anything, he should be moving the ones who are underperforming to Dubai.

I think it's time for them to go back to basics. Godolphin did well in the beginning by buying horses from others and training them. So leave the Fabre horses with him or whoever else trains for them and transfer them as four year olds to Godolphin. This would incentivise the trainers as they know they will have the horses for two full seasons and have opportunities to win classics with them. Godolphin get them as four year old to take on Ballydoyle. Godolphine will still buy two and three year olds off others and they train these themselves. So if they wanted to transfer New Approach at the start of this season, that would have been ok. But if New Approach was already owned by them from the start it would stay with bolger and transfer to Godolphin as a four year old. I think that means the least diruption and means the Godolphin team sticks to being around 50 horses, which was how it was succesful in the beginning.

Time for some stats I think.

Percentage of Group 1 winners at 2 (taken against overall total of Gp1 winners)

O'Brien 35%
Royer-Dupre 6%
Fabre 15%
Cecil 18%
Suroor 5%
Stoute 5%

70%+ of Stoute and Suroor's Group 1 wins came in 3yo+/4yo+ races. AOB's is split into thirds.

Would I be correct in assuming that, in total, Fabre will have over 200 horses in his care next year? (105 from Sheikh Mohammed, plus the hundred he will apparently retain from existing owners)

That's a hell of a number, isn't it?

Some more stats on the 2yo's theme..........

what percentage of their 2yo Gp1 winners went on to subsequent Gp1 success at 3+????

O'Brien 37%
Fabre 31%
Cecil 50%
Suroor 40%
Stoute 20%

Fabre's percentage is a lot lower than I would have guessed at.

According to the article you posted he will have around 100 horses in one yard and Sheik Mo's 105 in the main yard.

I had thought there are a few trainers around with 200+ horses.

That's what I was going by as well, Melendez.

I would be surprsied if there is any yard that has 200 horses in training in the UK. Could be wrong though.

mark johnson hannon channon i would have thought have strings verging on 200 stoute cant be far short

j dunlop used to have a 200 strong string but i would think thats reduced in the last few years

Maybe the likes of Hannon and Johnston might have 200 I suppose.

I was referring to flat BTW, Melendez. I'm fairly sure Nicholls has 200+ in his string.

Stonerside already have the two stud operations - the Kentucky one and one in Aiken, South Carolina which also has a training track.

Think they´ll be keeping the dirt horses stateside with Harty and given Stonerside has limited turf mares (and all their sires are dirt/sprinter milers in the main - Congaree and Too Much Bling the most notable) that side will not change so much though Darley already has half a million stallions around the world.

Stonerside also send 4 or 5 a year to Gosden, can see those being amongst the ones that head off to Fabre though as has already been said they´d be far better off keeping all operations seperate and letting Fabre, bin Suroor, Johnston, Bolger, Harty etc. do their own thing with their own horses.

Remember the debacle with the 2yo operation in France - think they only got the two or three group winners out of it - Silent Honor, City On A Hill and Bintalreef (unsure on the last named mind).

talking of hannon no one seems to have mentioned how well he is doing this year no large owners and 2nd in trainers table his achievement deserves a mention even if he drops a place or two

Back