Darley Irish Oaks 2011

Bar the Bull

At the Start
This is shaping up to be an absolute belter of a race.

The top three horses in the Oaks at Epsom reoppose. Wonder of Wonders is a short priced favourite, with backers and layers obviously feeling that she was beaten more by Johnnie Murtagh than she was by Dancing Rain.

Dancing Rain, for her part took a massive step up at Epsom, but it was only her fourth run, so she may be value for the form. I am not sure if she will have the stamina for a truly run 12f, in spite of her win at Epsom.

Blue Bunting should have been third in the Oaks, but had no chance with the other two horses. She is a great price if you take the view that she was never ridden to have a chance of winning at Epsom. She is not a good price if you take the view that she was flattered in a weird race at Newmarket in the Guineas, and that a lot of her opponents were compromised by having to race into the teeth of a strong wind.

Misty for Me has already won two G1 races at the Curragh. Over 8f and 10f, the last time when she slammed Midday by 6L. The main reason one would want to oppose her is on stamina grounds. She weakened rapidly at Epsom. But she didn't look to be stopping in the Pretty Polly. I think it is 50/50 she is the best horse in the race and 50/50 she stays, so I make her 3/1 rather than the current 9/2.

Banimpire runs for the 7th time this season, and she has improved to show a level of form that may see her placed for Bolger. It was a weak Ribblesdale, though. So I will be eating my hat if she wins this race.

Laughing Lashes runs for Jessie. She was one of many horses on Guineas weekend at Newmarket who ran no sort of race, but she showed a good level of form behind Misty for Me in the Irish Guineas. She must be a doubtful stayer, though, being a Mr. Greeley filly from a miling family. Even if she was a lock to stay, her form this year would entitle her to be around her current price.

An Irish classic wouldn't be an Irish classic without John Oxx having a lightly-raced contender who is ludicrously short in the betting. Kirinda is the horse in this race, and it is hard to see how she can be 14s in a race of this calibre.

Those that fancy giving horses third chances, may side with Havant. She had good juvenile form, but she has disappointed in both fillies' classics over in England. There are excuses for both runs, but you'd want to be a very open-minded punter to go for them. I am very open-minded.

Those that fancy backing no-hopes may back Zain Al Boldan.

WoW 5/4
MfM 9/2
BB 5/1
Banimpire 9/1
Kirinda 14/1
LL 14/1
Havant 16/1
Zain al Boldan 33/1

On my lunchbreak I put on a few bob on Misty for Me. I will be backing Havant if I can get confirmation that she is running, as I think Stoute may feel he has a good one here.

What would you eat if Banimpire was placed - your jocks maybe?? She is my favourite filly racing this year by a long way and I won't desert her here..

What would you eat if Banimpire was placed - your jocks maybe?? She is my favourite filly racing this year by a long way and I won't desert her here..

Banimpire runs for the 7th time this season, and she has improved to show a level of form that may see her placed for Bolger.

I wouldn't be surprised. No eating of clothing Chez Bull if she gets placed. Surely she's not a G1 filly, though?

14 left in today:

Amazing Beauty (A O'Brien)
Banimpire (Bolger)
Blue Bunting (Al Zarooni)
Chrysanthemum (Wachman)
Dancing Rain (Haggas)
Gemstone (A O'Brien)
Hurricane Havoc (Bolger)
Laughing Lashes (Harrington)
Make My Heart Sing (A O'Brien)
Misty For Me (A O'Brien)
Rumh (Bin Suroor)
Why (A O'Brien)
Wonder Of Wonders (A O'Brien)
Zain Al Boldan (Channon)

This may turn into another Ballydoyle benefit á la the Irish Derby....

9/2 is a mental price about Dancing Rain.

Yes she had the run of the race and got a great ride but the only reason I can see for Wonder of Wonders turning the form around is breeding (Connections are probably affecting Wonder of Wonders price more though). There has to be a question mark about Dancing Rain staying a truly run 12f but Wonder of Wonders was in the best place to challenge throughout the Oaks and simply was not good/quick enough.

If DR stays she'll beat Wonder of Wonders. Blue Bunting would be a bigger worry - providing Dettori is on his game.

They seem to be teeing this up for WoW, I'd be surprised if Misty also ran in this. If she did I'd probably prefer her.

Blue Bunting should have been third in the Oaks, but had no chance with the other two horses. She is a great price if you take the view that she was never ridden to have a chance of winning at Epsom. She is not a good price if you take the view that she was flattered in a weird race at Newmarket in the Guineas, and that a lot of her opponents were compromised by having to race into the teeth of a strong wind.

She's a great price.

Think it's quite easy to make cogent arguments for all of Blue Bunting, Dancing Rain and Misty For Me being overpriced.

Think it's quite easy to make cogent arguments for all of Blue Bunting, Dancing Rain and Misty For Me being overpriced.

Even easier to make out a case for Wonder Of Wonders being too short. She's good, no doubt, but she's odds-on with most firms and that's ridiculous.

True. The simple fact though gus, she's sure to win at odds on, and like me, you'll sit there cursing then boring anyone who'll listen and some that won't explaining how you had her backed at 25's for Epsom!

Misty For Me looks the pick at the prices to me. Maybe Epsom came a little too soon after the Irish Guineas, rather than her not staying. Maybe I have too much faith in Galileo's staying, requiring them to actually come to a complete halt to prove me otherwise!

Misty For Me looks the pick at the prices to me. Maybe Epsom came a little too soon after the Irish Guineas, rather than her not staying. Maybe I have too much faith in Galileo's staying, requiring them to actually come to a complete halt to prove me otherwise!

Galileo being the sire would normally be an excellent rule of thumb reason for expecting the individual to get 12 furlongs. However, this is largely negated by Storm Cat being her dam sire.
Her balance is toward speed but she does have 4 stamina points in her DP. She was impressive at 10 furlongs and while she isn’t certain to fully stay the extra two furlongs, I wouldn’t disagree she may well be worth taking a chance on (that she will get it) at the price. She looks best in terms of ability and will only lose if outstayed.

The beautifully bred WoW is made for 12 furlongs, but I can't help feeling that MFM is pretty decent approaching the same trip.

Last edited:
Looks like remaining conjecture about MFM. She's not in the nine for Sunday.

4-153 Amazing Beauty
111511 Banimpire
211-14 Blue Bunting
2-121 Dancing Rain
1-2795 Gemstone
77138 Hurricane Havoc
212-03 Laughing Lashes
01-316 Rumh
2-7112 Wonder Of Wonders

Last edited:
That explains the price. Nearly backed her last night and all. Phew.

Dancing Rain the obvious bet at 4s, then. Just because she stole the race at Epsom doesn't mean that a) she can't win it even if they go a proper gallop and b) they'll go a proper gallop this time anyway.

I also refused to be tempted in on MFM as I didn't expect her to run all being well with WoW. I wasn't expecting them to put her in the way of WoW, who Ballydoyle 'want' for this. It looks a good opportunity for WoW and will show up well on her CV.

It's not cut and dried and others look better value, but I'd expect WoW to win.

Last edited:
The best filly won at Epsom - WoW had every chance and quite a while to get past, and couldn't. I really can't see any excuses. Swap the trainers and you the prices would be reversed.

Back