Darley Irish Oaks 2011

I reckon WoW is a good bit better than the filly that beat her at Epsom (as the market seems to have assumed). They hadn't overcooked WoW as they think so much of her (she is immaculately bred). I would have thought she will have come on a bundle since the Oaks and they will want to make this one stick... losing once is unfortunate, twice becomes a pattern.

They will have pushed WoW hard in preparation for this and had Misty in there in case the wheels came off, they evidently haven't.

Last edited:
The Oaks tells us that Dancing Rain has better form than Wonder of Wonder's, albeit very marginally. What most will surely agree on is that Wonder of Wonders has far more scope to improve, and if there is a genuine 120+ filly in there, she is the one to show it. It doesn't make her a compelling bet at a shade of odds on though.

I'll side with Dancing Rain who may be being a little underrated, I was perhaps guilt of that myself straight after Epsom. Suspect I'll be chalking up another value loser though.

Steve wrote: They will have pushed WoW hard in preparation for this and had Misty in there in case the wheels came off, they evidently haven't.

The Oaks should be a good contest, but an even better one may be the Nassau. If this is Misty's next destination (10f her best distance probably), she will clash there with Snow Fairy and (very possibly) again with Midday. Should prove a fascinating race if all three ladies turn up with their best game.

Steve wrote: They will have pushed WoW hard in preparation for this and had Misty in there in case the wheels came off, they evidently haven't.

The Oaks should be a good contest, but an even better one may be the Nassau. If this is Misty's next destination (10f her best distance probably), she will clash there with Snow Fairy and (very possibly) again with Midday. Should prove a fascinating race if all three ladies turn up with their best game.

That would certainly be worth the entrance fee.

I think Haggas fillie will beat the favorite again, especialy ifthe ground is softer.

This is a goodbetting oportunity and very easy to choose with which one to side.

It's clear from tonight's prices on Betfair that the opportunity to lay Wonder Of Wonders at odds-on isn't going to arise.

Obviously she can win, but surely WoW should be bigger than Dancing Rain? The slow pace can't have unsuited her, as she was second all the way round - it's a complete red herring. She had 3 furlongs to get past the winner but couldn't. I've doubled both Dancing Rain and Blue Bunting with Clarke in the golf.

It simply makes no sense at all - there's not one reason she shouldn't be bigger. There's even an argument she should be third favourite as it all went wrong for BB at Epsom - didn't handle track, too far back off a slow pace/poor ride and a Guineas winner so has the class.

Just a little disappointed with WoW. She was produced at the right time, but as in the Oaks failed to press home her effort. Having said that the front four of five have no doubt shown decent form.

Laughing lashes jock dropped his whip, I thought it cost her a place

Fixed for You IMO
Berry is infuriating, beats you when you back against him then does something annoying when you back him..good friends with jamie Spencer..they have that in common

Just to give my opinion Del, i thought he was nursing the horse there.
The only scenario in which she would have repelled Blue Bunting would be if she had hanged slightly into BB s path.

Anyone of the first three could have won on better ground,i would argue and perhaps the fourth too as she showed most speed/ travelled best.
In fact given the flat spot she hit, Blue Bunting could well have gone unplaced,,as the three ahead of her seemed to stop
A good race

A good race and a great ride from Frankie, Blue Bunting was under pressure from a long way out. What a lovely gutsy filly Banimpire is, I was really sorry she didn't hang on.

Last edited:
Great race to watch -you have to admire the winner.Fran won't be too happy tonight-wonder if Bolgers filly will go to Goodwood.

Hmm. Sometimes I still wake up in a hot sweat thinking about Kevin Manning and Lush Lashes.

I'd imagine I will wake up gasping for air tonight screaming WTF did I back Zip Top.This weekend was going to be so simple -just lay the fab in the Oaks for a lump at odds on .I'm disgusted with myself for the way the weekends punting turned out.

Good idea to come so wide - Banimpire is so game she was done rather a la Giants causeway and Observatory in the QEII .

Last edited:
A good race and a great ride from Frankie, Blue Bunting was under pressure from a long way out. What a lovely gutsy filly Banimpire is, I was really sorry she didn't hang on.

I was / am gutted for Banimpire - Manning had looked like he is carrying some kind of shoulder injury to me. She is a wonder filly - you could face her into amything!! Change the jockeys - change the result! Fran Berry dropping his whip is inexcusable.

I'd imagine I will wake up gasping for air tonight screaming WTF did I back Zip Top.This weekend was going to be so simple -just lay the fab in the Oaks for a lump at odds on .I'm disgusted with myself for the way the weekends punting turned out.

Cannot believe I backed him either - if he wasn't going to act on the ground ( and that was pretty plain to deduce on breeding)why the fuck firstly did I back him and secondly why did Bolger run him. Banimpire ew saved what could have been a very poor weekend.

Back