David Chapman

jinnyj

Senior Jockey
Very, very sad to read this in the RP. Always a trainer I admired and respected.

http://www.racingpost.com/news/hors...rainer-david-chapman-dies-aged-77/851735/top/#

The RP also reports that former jockey, Richard Fox, is on life support after collapsing yesterday. Richard is one of the most amusing, nice people you could wish to meet. Always cracking jokes, he would have his audience in stitches in no time. My thoughts and prayers are with his wife Marie and his children Frankie & Dominic.

His best known horses were Soba, Chaplins Club, Glencroft and Quito. That's some quartet to have trained, extremely prolific winners all.

Sad news on both fronts.

Have to agree with Jinny about Richard Fox, just met him the once but never going to forget the laughs, a 'larger than life' character for sure.

Chapman always came across as a genuinely decent fella and he certainly got the best out of the likes of Soba, Chaplin's Club, Glencroft and Quito.

Richard Fox was a pretty good lightweight jockey in his day although he failed to click when he was briefly stable jockey to Clive Brittain in the days when Brittain had the backing of Marcos Lemos and was a force in the land.

I wish "Foxy" well but, despite his current predicament, I had to laugh this morning when I read that Derek Thompson has been visiting him in hospital. "Tommo" said: "I was there for an hour this morning, talking away, but he wasn't hearing anything." He might just have been cocking a deaf 'un, Derek...

I had 5p on Soba when she won at Goodwood-it was meant to be 10p but I split the stake with a Bill o Gorman trained horse.
I met Foxy in Hills Kensington High Street about ten years ago.I asked him about riding In The Groove in the Arc and he was delighted.

hope Foxy gets well soon..RIP David..I have many memories of those sprinters

I remember Soba as most do that were following racing then ... ran up a sequence of wins early season and was made favourite for the Stewards..then ran unplaced before the race and I believe then drifted to about 18/1 for Goodwood and romped home.

Chaplins Club is the one I remember most - boy he could train a sprinter and he taught his granddaughter Ruth Carr well. R.I.P.

I have to admit I don't remember Richard Fox but have just read up about him and he won The Lincoln, Cesarewitch, Northumberland Plate, Ascot Stakes and Bunbury Cup so much respect and get well soon.

My favourite Richard Fox story is when he was collared by Thommo before a televised race at York where he was riding a mare of Mick Haynes' called Kingsfold Flame. Asked about his chances, Foxy seemed to think for a moment and said "Three smacks, I reckon". The mare got up late to win fairly narrowly, and the winning jockey was again approached. "I was wrong - four smacks!" he said, with a trademark grin.

I remember Foxy when he was with Frenchie Nicholson. A nice fella and good fun. (Everyone sitting in the pub appearing to be drinking blackcurrant squash, when it was really a lager and black because the boss would drop by unannounced to check that his lads were behaving themselves.)

Prestbury was awfully quiet when he moved on!

Get well soon, Foxy.

Back