David Pipe

Irish Stamp

Forum Moderator
We've had this discussion elsewhere on the forum but what is going on down at Pond House?

He's had a few fancied horses over the last 6 weeks or so - the only one of the genuine big guns to run well has been Tamarinbleu.

Acambo (course money), Tom Knows (short early) and the horse in the opening handicap chase at Aintree today have all run absolute shockers.

Hope they come back soon or it could be Henderson vs. Nicholls for the rest of the season.

Nicholls is going down the same road too
All fancied horses stuffed

Pipe is in awful form at the moment and also he has no new DJ hotpots.
The horses are all the old crew which he is running down before his exit
Remember when DJ had the Arkle winner mapped out from October?
Those are distant memories:(

New owners like Brookhouse and Barr are just less than 10 horses each and Osana apart, just don't have the strength to challenge

Last edited:
Nicholls horses are getting beat but they are not getting stuffed....big different between his yard form and that of Pipes.

Only really thought about it seriously when i saw Quarry Town being pulled up having been struggling for a couple of fences when they still had a full circuit to run near enough and Acambo who hit a number of fences yesterday and was pulled up 4 or 5 out.

Also noted that both the DJ/Pipe horses in the concluding novices handicap hurdle where held up - while conditions weren't great and Tom Knows failed to land a blow and was tailed off whilst i doubt that Quaddick Lake would have fared better had he not fallen early on in the contest.

I'm getting to the point at which I adopt the same policy for DE Pipe trained horses as I do for Jonjo's - ie be very reluctant to get involved because I have very little faith in the horse in question being able to produce its form.

Like Jonjo, he seems to have get plenty of very talented young horses that do well initially, but quickly lose their way. Vodka Bleu, Abragante and Joacci would all be examples of his current team that have plenty of talent but have completely gone at the game.

Judging from their recent seasonal debuts, I suspect that Comply Or Die and Madison Du Berlais will soon be joining them.

Cant ever remember such little output from them.
The have loads of horses in training but nothing is running at all.
no Newb runners thurs, 2 crap ones fri.

All running shite

There must be some major problem down there, could be virus?
Quite a few declared 5 da stage but nothing running?????????

Not going to get close to Nicholls running one or two horses on a Saturday, is he?

To me it looks like he maybe has a virus in his yard. If that is the case I would shut down yard completely for a few weeks and not run anything but keep horses ticking over. I know they have pretty high tec lab at yard and test bloods all the time apart from a high white cell count they don't show much until they get the secondary bacterial infection which shows as mucus in lungs/snot which you can then treat with heavy dosage antibiotics to get rid properly. So long as you don't put horse under too much pressure i.e. fast work/racing, if they are fit and healthy, like us they should push a bug through quite quickly.

1 win in his last 34 and 5 PU's. That's normally the kind of ratio you see in a top yard when there is a virus. In fact its worse.

14.7% of his runners (fallers discounted) failing to complete. That's about 1 in 7. The killer though is the number that are finishing in the botom half of a race. 25!!! That means 73% of his runners are outside the top half of the finishers

I'm getting to the point at which I adopt the same policy for DE Pipe trained horses as I do for Jonjo's - ie be very reluctant to get involved because I have very little faith in the horse in question being able to produce its form.

Like Jonjo, he seems to have get plenty of very talented young horses that do well initially, but quickly lose their way. Vodka Bleu, Abragante and Joacci would all be examples of his current team that have plenty of talent but have completely gone at the game.

Judging from their recent seasonal debuts, I suspect that Comply Or Die and Madison Du Berlais will soon be joining them.

To be fair, all of those horses were those he inherited from his dad, who would run them on a regular basis to try and retain his champion trainer title and fend off the strong challenge from the Nicholls yard, hence they have petered out in later years.

In saying that, however, you can't say that it has affected Our Vic who is 10 going on 11 and was 2nd in the KG, won the Ryanair and the Betfair chases last year or Lough Derg for that matter?

IMO DEP appears to campaign his young horses less (i.e. Osana, Ashkazar) so they can go the distance in later years

Unsinkable Boxer

Fair points about the ones trained by his father and, obviously, Our Vic and Lough Derg have served the yard well.

I suppose that the main concern I have with the yard is the numbers of horses that run absolute stinkers.

For example, while it was reasonable to predict that Comply Or Die would improve for his seasonal debut run at Cheltenham - he ran a horrible race and was tailed-off/pulled-up with more than 2 miles to go. This sort of thing seems, to me, to happen with alarming frequency to horses from the yard.

No doubt, he'll hit form at some point, but these lengthy spells in the doldrums seem to affect the yard at least once or twice a season.

Still, at least he's not Jim Old. He's seems to have had a virus in his yard for about the last 15 years!

David Pipe should have a word with Nicky Henderson...his horses do not know how to run a bad race right now!

I backed the horse a million times., I'm sure Tout Seul was always keen on keen him too. I thought his day to win a big pot had passed.

Last edited:
when a stable sends out so many large priced horses...as Pipe has..is it any wonder he has few winners?

expected v actual for Pipey wasn't really disastrous before today

when a stable sends out so many large priced horses...as Pipe has..is it any wonder he has few winners?

expected v actual for Pipey wasn't really disastrous before today

Using the RP trainer page (not updated for today) the odds implied he should win between 2 and 3 where he only won 1. Would agree that that's not disastrous; question is whether those odds were so big because the horses were considered out of form.

could be Gareth

but a lot of them though were 33/1+..which means their actual chance of winning was even less..33/1 sp shots for instance have a real chance of winning about 60/1+

as we have said before..it's a difficult area..but using odds is a great help..imo..

Having seen Pipes winners at Towcester and having backed MDB in the past I was very interested to see the money looking to back him at 50 on betfair just before the off.I managed to get a few quid on but due to smart arsed trading I didn't win as much as I should have.Betfair froze on me in the last mile of the big race -I had to ring them up to find out how much I had won.
Cant complain as I never really had any intention of backing him until I saw the late money.

He was travelling like a dream turning in. I could not understand why he was 19 while Island Fly was 4.3 at the time.

There was late money for a few of the rags. I assumed that this was the Scoop6 winning crowd backing the ones they didn't already have covered.

I could be wrong. Perhaps Rory, Shad or Mounty could confirm.

Surely even Arse Findlay wouldn't feel that action would be necessary when standing to win so much from a free bet on the race.

Relky - I was ensconsed in the champagne bar at the time, on the second or third bottle and pretty much stopped punting, not too many hours after that I'd stopped most things!

Especially Findlay will have wanted to have backed the outsiders I'd have thought, with such an opportunity to 'green up' nicely in the race, having already had 8 of the field covered to win a tidy amount.

Back