DAY 1 (and Summary) - Cheltenham Festival

SteveM

At the Start
The reason we’ve endured the bleakest and dreariest of winters is upon us. I’ll be on course every day next week (...I’ll see some of you there). Much in the way of preparation and plugging those ante-post gaps in the next day or two, then we’re there! Rejoice... it suddenly feels like spring.

A few thoughts to join with yours in the meantime.

Summary:
Worthy favourites: Big Bucks (World Hurdle), Dunguib (Supreme Novices Hurdle) – I’m on both at 7/4 against and they appear to have very high chances of success, but at odds-on now they are ones to not back against rather than actually back. Place betting on bigger price alternatives is perhaps the strategy in these races for those that have missed the prices (see below).

Niggles with soundness aside Punchestowns (RSA Chase) has a great chance if he lines up. The main danger looks to be from his stablemate Long Run (although age and perhaps jumping ability are against that one).

Rite Of Passage (Neptune) looks like having very strong claims. If running in the Supreme Novices it would be a difficult call between him and Dunguib.

Tell Massini (AB Hurdle) looks the right type and should be very difficult to beat. Watch out for Enterprise Park though.

Good value: Denman (Gold Cup) second-favourite with an irresistible chance. At available odds he must be backed against the odds-on favourite.

Place bets: Karabak (World Hurdle), also Tidal BayandSentry Duty (World Hurdle), Get Me Out Of Here (Supreme Novices, alternative County Hurdle).

Each-way: Kalahari King (Champion Chase) ­ has a chance against the favourite, standout each-way bet (although odds are shrinking). Riverside Theatre (Arkle Chase), very solid chance at around 10/1.Weapon’s Amnesty, each-way (RSA).

Peak fitness will be decisive this year (more than ever) as the preparation of many has been interrupted by extreme weather conditions. Those with a relatively trouble free preparation will benefit hugely.

Remember that each-way doubles and trebles on alternatives to your main selection is a good strategy for clawing back on losing single win bets.

DAY 1 March 16, 2010

Supreme Novices’ Hurdle Grade 1 (4yo+) 2m ½f
5yos or 6yos tend to do best in this. The Irish tend to do well. Lightly raced horses excel with half of past 17 winners running no more than twice over hurdles beforehand. It looks as if Dunguib should not be opposed. Some have criticised his jumping, but if unspectacular he looks safe enough. Place betting or betting without the favourite recommended on the bigger priced selections. Get Me Out Of Here may be the best of the opposition to Dunguib, assuming Rite Of Passage goes for the Neptune (in which he is strongly fancied).

Shortlist:
Dunguib 7
Menorah 5
Rite Of Passage 6 ? (see Neptune)
General Miller 5
Bellvano 6
Pepe Simo 6
Quantitativeeasing 5 ?
Oscar Whisky 5
Restless Harry 6
Get Me Out Of Here 6
Blackstairmountain 5
Lush Life 5

Selections: 1) Dunguib 2) Get Me Out Of Here 3) Oscar Whisky 4) Menorah/
Blackstairmountain

Arkle Challenge Trophy Chase Grade 1 (5yo+) 2m
6yos and 7yos do very well. 5yos have lost the 5lb allowance they used to receive so are unlikely to do as well as in the past. Big priced horses tend not to do well, 8/1 or less is a good guide, but only two actual favourites have won of the past 17 renewals. Highly rated ex-hurdlers and French-breds do well. Riverside Theatre is fancied to land decent odds of around 10/1. Somersby must also run well and looks to be one for your each-way doubles and trebles. Long Run would be fancied here, but reportedly heads for the RSA Chase, where he is probably too short.

Shortlist:
Captain Cee Bee 9
Sizing Europe 8
Tataniano 6
Long Run 5 ? (see RSA Chase)
Somersby 6
Riverside Theatre 6
Osana 8
Sports Line 7
Cousin Vinny 7
An Cathaoir Mor 7

Selections: 1) Riverside Theatre 2) Captain Cee Bee 3) Somersby

WH Trophy Handicap Chase Grade 3 (5yo+) 3m ½f

Shortlist:
Bensalem 7
Character Building 10
The Tother One 9
The Package 7

Selections: 1) Bensalem 2) The Tother One/The Package

Champion Hurdle Grade 1 (4yo+) 2m ½f
Serious contenders should have won, or nearly won, their last race prior to the Champion and be the right side of eight, rather than older. Those that have won or been placed at the Festival before do well. A difficult race to call this year. Very open among first half a dozen or so in the betting. Binocular’s participation is in doubt, but if lining up should be right there. Solwhit has scoped dirty and is unlikely to make the line up.

Shortlist:

Binocular 6 ?
Zaynar 5
Solwhit 6 ?
Medermit 6
Punjabi 7
Celestial Halo 6
Khyber Kim 8
Starluck 5
Go Native 7
Voler La Vedette 6

1) Zaynar/Punjabi/Binocular 2) Medermit 3) Khyber Kim/Starluck 4) Go Native

David Nicholson Mares Hurdle 2m 4f

Shortlist:
Quevega 6
Voler La Vedette 6
No One Tells Me 5

Selection: 1) Quevega 2) Voler La Vedette

Last edited:
Supreme Novices’ Hurdle Grade 1 (4yo+) 2m ½f
Shortlist:
Dunguib 7
Menorah 5
Rite Of Passage 6 ? (see Neptune)
General Miller 5
Bellvano 6
Pepe Simo 6
Quantitativeeasing 5 ?
Oscar Whisky 5
Restless Harry 6
Get Me Out Of Here 6
Blackstairmountain 5
Lush Life 5
Only two possible winners, as far as I can see. Dunguib and Get Me Out Of Here. The latter already has the form on the board that would win an average running and he looks to be improving fast. Dunguib is the exciting one but will he meet expectations? I'll be shocked if one of these two doesn't win.

Arkle Challenge Trophy Chase Grade 1 (5yo+) 2m
Shortlist:
Captain Cee Bee 9
Sizing Europe 8
Tataniano 6
Long Run 5 ? (see RSA Chase)
Somersby 6
Riverside Theatre 6
Osana 8
Sports Line 7
Cousin Vinny 7
An Cathaoir Mor 7
This might be the race of the meeting. I've been in a bit of a quandary about it for a while. Somersby was my idea of a winner for some time but looking at it all today from a fresh angle, I've come to think that maybe Osana will nick it.

Only two possible winners, as far as I can see. Dunguib and Get Me Out Of Here. The latter already has the form on the board that would win an average running and he looks to be improving fast. Dunguib is the exciting one but will he meet expectations? I'll be shocked if one of these two doesn't win.

Dunguib is quite extraordinary, but for a horse that jumps so ordinarily (some would say badly) he is now clearly not a good price. If he's going to be beaten it will be here. I've got a lot of time for GMOOH, who I've backed heavily with Paddy Power at 10s and 5s on the terms that I'll get my money back if Dunguib wins (also backed at 7/4).

This might be the race of the meeting. I've been in a bit of a quandary about it for a while. Somersby was my idea of a winner for some time but looking at it all today from a fresh angle, I've come to think that maybe Osana will nick it.

The more I think about it the more I'm warming to Somersby (a feature of my each-way doubles and trebles). Those who believe he's slow must be forgetting he was placed in last year's Supreme Novices. Riverside Theatre is a delicious price though. Captain Cee Bee is a nice type, but I'd want a bigger price.

My first day's betting portfolio is almost complete:

1 - GMOOH (w/o Dunguib)
2 - Osana (ew)
3 - to be decided but Bensalem will be one if it runs.
4 - CH very heavily, KK as back up, v small amounts elsewhere to cover.
5 - bargepole stuff
6 - Voler La Vedette

For Tuesday, I've just got Dunguib, Somersby (e/w) and Garde Champetre, all ante post.

Last year, I couldn't see Binocular being beaten (!) and this year, I just haven't arrived at any conclusion for the CH, so I've left it alone.

My first day's betting portfolio is almost complete:

1 - GMOOH (w/o Dunguib)
2 - Osana (ew)
3 - to be decided but Bensalem will be one if it runs.
4 - CH very heavily, KK as back up, v small amounts elsewhere to cover.
5 - bargepole stuff
6 - Voler La Vedette

Looks plausible. I put Osana into my TTF at the beginning of the season and he's sort of been in the back of my mind.

...you going?

For Tuesday, I've just got Dunguib, Somersby (e/w) and Garde Champetre, all ante post.

Last year, I couldn't see Binocular being beaten (!) and this year, I just haven't arrived at any conclusion for the CH, so I've left it alone.

You'll be kicking yourself if Binocular wins this year. He's big enough to have a bit of a punt... I've had the feeling all season that when he starts to sparkle he'll have them all in trouble.

You'll be kicking yourself if Binocular wins this year. He's big enough to have a bit of a punt... I've had the feeling all season that when he starts to sparkle he'll have them all in trouble.

It wouldn't be the first time that sort of thing has happened to me.

I'd love to see him win it, but I've finally learned my lesson. I'll only bet at the Festival now if I'm confident, rather than just for the sake of it.

I find it hard to see how Osana can improve past Sizing and Captain Cee Bee. Best days could well be behind him...

I don't think Osana is in the top 3 of the Irish contenders, let alone the overall race...

Fair enough... I don't think it unreasonable to expect him to outperform on what he has done so far this season, but I don't see him finishing in the first three here either.

Last edited:
Osana is only 5th top on ORs and RPRs. There's probably four above him with Timeform. There's at least three above him on my own ratings.

However, the Arkle is often a weird race in which the ratings don't work out. Maybe it's the unique nature of the test at this stage of their career. I don't really know.

My punt on Osana is speculative. I have to be clear about that. It's long odds-on it's a losing bet so to crab it is pretty easy.

However, Captain Cee Bee needed a year off and is getting on. He's also had a fall. Do I want to back him? Not particularly.

McCoy reportedly can't split CBB and Somersby. I can. I'd be on Somersby in terms of potential and fluency of jumping. I'm just not sure if Somersby can really win.

Sizing Europe has a victory over Osana this season. But he went crazy on the way over last year and had to be withdrawn. That might happen again. Even if it doesn't, it might take enough of an edge off him to swing things Osana's way.

Riverside Theatre commands respect, but he's very much in the same camp as Somersby.

For those who follow trends, one is that the Arkle tends to go to the best hurdler. Cue Sizing Europe and Osana. Another trend is that French breds have an unusually good record. Could it be the nature of this test at this stage favours a breed? I'm not over-drawn to that idea but it's an angle that I can't dismiss out of hand.

In short, it's probably as much to do with finding reasons not to back the ones ahead of it in the market as with finding reasons for backing Osana. I just think on balance 16/1 each-way might be the bet in the race.

...not that you were required to justify yourself, but this sounds an entirely reasonable approach to me.

From what I gather, this is one French bred who has possibly gone to the well once too often...or suffered a few dodgy experiences last year. After all, he changed connections for a reason. I'm not speculating on this - it's what I've heard from someone who is quite reliable - but while the current trainer may feel he has to say the right things publicly, there's a theory that the horse is nowhere near what he used to be and certainly not in Arkle winning form at the moment. Maybe he might come back to himself in time but all the evidence suggests he's on the downgrade.

That's what 16/1 suggests.

I'm prepared to trust the trainer wouldn't be running him if he didn't think he'd some evidence to the contrary.

Dunguib (Start in a whole or get off to a flyer)
Sizing Europe (Digging deeper!!!)
Will Hill - Will do my handicap work tomorrow but early thoughts were Bensalem and Tateneen.
Zaynar and I have to cos i have backed him all season a little on Binocular
Quevega cant have Volver on drying ground.

It all seems so simple...what could go wrong!

Back