Deja Vu?

Katchit's price reflects the poor quality of the Champion Hurdle field. He and Sublimity aren't up against much are they? I certainly have reservations about Sublimity despite his impressive CH win this year.

I think its very unfair to say Kachit and Sublimity isnt up against much in this year's champion hurdle. There is still a lot of time for horses to improves and prove themselves to be exceptional candidates for the race. Its similar to the War Of Attrition Gold Cup where everyone said the field was poor, yet the winner as it turned out was very good.

Havent given hope on Harchibald yet on fast ground, although he should find or two too good, Ikitaf is another who isnt out of it, Bobs Pride only needs to show a bit more improvement. Blythe Knight is another who will have the necessary speed, if Detroit City discover his form from early last year, he will be a hard nut to crack, what about BJK if he runs in the 2mile race, the way he travels, the champion hurdle will suit imo. Although the 2miles novice hurdlers last year looks an average bunch, they can prove themselves to be above average, the likes of Clopf, De Valira....

Katchit has a better chance than Clopf of winning a champion hurdle.

Detroit City wasnt the horse at the end of the year that he was before christmas, but neither was he the horse that some on here thought he was. Even on the pre christmas form. Hope he makes a full recovery from what ailed him.

The opposition to this year's 5yo sensation doesn't look nearly as strong as that facing last years. Has to be at least respected, but dont think that he is quite the answer either. Sublimity has the fewest questions to answer IMO.

Originally posted by Galileo@Oct 28 2007, 04:40 PM
Katchit...cut to 5/1 for the Champion Hurdle after todays win? Detroit City all over again, and I am not sure Katchit is as "good" as Detroit City was.
Chris's remarks are very interesting, as they emphasise how much a horse's character has to do with his success, given it has innate ability. Amusing that Katchit worked out how to survive the Channon regime - I'm convinced that intelligent horses often make champions, since they can take what they need from human input and reject what they don't! I've met Katchit, and he's not just a charmer, but very obviously 'knowing' and clever [envy you having ridden him Chris!]

Perhaps we should not be comparing the horses so much as the trainers. Imo, Alan is a better trainer than Hobbs, who sometimes sours his horses, esp by over-racing them. Alan's also very astute about what each horse needs, in terms of work; but also in terms of distance, track - ie placing in races etc. Many observers questioned the way he campaigned and aimed VPU and MWDS last year, but he was proved right.

And before whoever it was last year repeats their remark about him making a mess of Penzance, that's rubbish. The animal has a mind of his own, and he often goes for months in a grump and won't put it in; he did it at Fanshawe's as well. And in any case he's not absolutely top class - Alan won the Triumph with him by keeping interested in what he was doing - hurdling was a novelty! - and training him to the minute.

Btw I haven't put a bet on for the CH. Got too burned with Festival antepost bets last year :rolleyes:

It was clear the Penzance needed blinkers about 18months before he eventually put them on and the result was a much sweeter travelling horse at Sandown than we had seen since the day he won The Triumph.

The horse has waved the white flag so many times when things have started to get tough.

Can we save this for posterity?! :D

I'm flicking through a load of old threads from the last NH season in light of the impending cull...

Thanks for saving this one Shadow - I am a massive Katchit fan and it was so interesting to watch him unfold throughout the season and the reactions from those on the forum. Chris's comments also very interesting and spot on.

Back