Denman Jockey ?

Given his record in the grand national I would think there has to be a serious chance that they'll be looking towards Ruby if they go to Aintree with Denman. It's the only circumstance which I'd consider it

Thomas will do fine as long as all Denman has to do is go to the front and gallop.

It's when things don't go to plan that you'll suddenly wish Ruby was on board.

Originally posted by Warbler@Mar 16 2008, 06:38 PM
Given his record in the grand national I would think there has to be a serious chance that they'll be looking towards Ruby if they go to Aintree with Denman. It's the only circumstance which I'd consider it
That's a good point Warbler, but I hope they won't go to Aintree this year, or even next.
9 yrs old is plenty young enough for a GN horse

Would be rather harsh for Sam to be jocked off now, and after last friday, can't see Harry letting it occur for the time being

There's one thing I have been wondering about and am surprised no one has mentioned.

What was going through the minds of Findlay and Barber during the finish of the race immediately before the GC. Thomas's ride on Thetotherone was diabolical abd earned him a public bollocking from Nicholls in the parade ring when he came in.

Originally posted by Headstrong@Mar 16 2008, 01:00 PM
I will think a lot less of Ruby if he does take the ride off Sam Thomas.
It won't be his call. If Ruby is told he is riding Denman, then he will do as he is told.

It is a difficult position. Ruby is the stable jock after all and if it was a two mile handicap hurdle and ruby picked the wrong one he would be riding both the next day in different races. Which would suggest Ruby gets the ride back. But obviously this is a simplistic example and I'm sure Findlay will have his view on it. If he gets on well with Thomas, he will probably keep the ride as if both horses make it there next year, Ruby will need to make a similar decision again.But that's a year down the line and Ruby will see plenty of potential grade one wins with Denman next year so def not a forgone conclusion.

In my view, Ruby was asked to make a choice and he chose the logical one at the time. He should not be penalised for that and if it was me, I'd be looking for the ride back.

Originally posted by Bar the Bull@Mar 20 2008, 12:03 PM
If someone told me that I was to ride Denman in the next Gold Cup, I would bloody well do it.
You're not wrong. I wonder would Harry fancy taking 7lbs off in the Hennessy?!?! :D

Chance to buy Denman's half sister

A half-sister to Gold Cup hero Denman looks sure to be popular when she goes under the hammer at the Brightwells Cheltenham Evening Select Sale on April 16.

The unraced four-year-old is being consigned by Edmond Kent's Ballyhampshire Stud on behalf of his father-in-law, Colman O'Flynn, who at last year's sale sold Lindeman, a three-parts sister to Denman, to Richard Kelvin Hughes.

Kent said: "We have some of the family that we are retaining and felt this offered the racing and breeding world a wonderful opportunity to invest in these fabulous bloodlines.

"She has been cantering at home on my stud but is guaranteed untried. She has a wonderful physique and can been seen and tried on Brightwells' new Eco Track at Cheltenham on the Tuesday prior to sale.

"We would dearly love to see her race before she starts what I am sure will be an illustrious breeding career."

Back