Departures 2009

Anyone who has me as a friend on facebook will know i have had a sleepless night. Stargazy suffered a serious bout of Colic last night and was rushed to the vets. Luckily we got there within 4 hours of it all starting and they performed an emergency operation on a tear in his Caecum and a twist in the gut. Another hour or so and he probably wouldn't have made it. However after a 4 hour operation, Star is in recovery but the reality is that we have been lucky to save him from it. Whilst the vet feels he should make a full recovery and there is no reason he will colic again in the future, he can't guarantee that. Giving the fact it will take around 8 months for him to recover I will be retiring him with immediate effect. I am just so thankful to Al & the vets that their quick response has meant we could save him this time as he means an awful lot to me.

Last edited:
Anyone who has me as a friend on facebook will know i have had a sleepless night. Stargazy suffered a serious bout of Colic last night and was rushed to the vets. Luckily we got there within 4 hours of it all starting and they performed an emergency operation on a tear in his Caecum and a twist in the gut. Another hour or so and he probably wouldn't have made it. However after a 4 hour operation, Star is in recovery but the reality is that we have been lucky to save him from it. Whilst the vet feels he should make a full recovery and there is no reason he will colic again in the future, he can't guarantee that. Giving the fact it will take around 8 months for him to recover I will be retiring him with immediate effect. I am just so thankful to Al & the vets that their quick response has meant we could save him this time as he means an awful lot to me.

Horrible news Flame but glad to hear he's made it through the op. Please keep us posted how he's doing and send him a big hug from me (when he's well enough to accept it :))

Anyone who has me as a friend on facebook will know i have had a sleepless night. Stargazy suffered a serious bout of Colic last night and was rushed to the vets. .

Sorry to hear this mate,hope he continues on the road to recovery through the next days/weeks.

Twisted gut killed the horse I'd bought for my Dad to ride - I'd sold him after Dadda died and the horse was showing good promise for his new owner as a showjumper. It's a condition which used to always be fatal, but if there's a quick enough intervention, nowadays the prognosis is more optimistic as there are better treatments. I'm glad you've been able to save him, Chris.

Without recoursing to the RP for a quick history, wasn't he a nice new horse? I saw him run - looked to be all right. What a great shame.

Glad it was spotted so quickly and he's OK so far, Chris - horrible thing to happen to any horse but particularly a fine old warrier like Star. However, he's by a wonderful tough old sire, isn't he, so that will help!!

Back