Derby Awards

I was talking in GENERAL about the US. If you arent aware of the philanthropic nature of many of their very rich, then you must have been living in a cave

Since when is that xenophobic?

Since when did i make any allusion to Tsuis nationality having anything to do with his decision?

Well?

FFS. it is a "huge risk" if he needs the cash. Its a "huge risk" to someone who is facing bakruptcy or to a syndicate made up of ordinary owners who could gain life changing amounts

As it stands it is a simple business decision to add millions to billions (although im not sure how much his family is worth admitedly) and even then, it is still a slim chance that the horse will not be around at the end of the year. Stats on deaths of 4 year olds anyone?

BTB: you mean owners like the Agas, the Wertheimers, JP McManus, John Magnier, Graham Wylie, David Johnson, Clive Smith, assorted Maktoums, Andy Stewart... ? All owners do 'something meaningful' for the sport - they buy horses and put them into training at a cost which is usually far outweighed by earnings, apart from the best. If owners didn't buy horses, there'd be very little meaning left to racing at all.

Last edited:
Sheikh Mohamed should win this category by a mile every year for his contributions to the sport.

Not only that, but he has employed for him a man who could not be more open with the racing public, and a superb website for his horses.

It really makes you realise how poor for the sport (flat racing) it is to have Magnier as head of the foremost breeding and racing operation - the contrast is enormous.

This thread has gone terribly off topic. In an attempt to bring it back, I'd like to say the duck was very nice, but the portions really weren't big enough.

So, you've been doing a little swanking, have you? You might as well give us the entire menu, and was the Pouilly Fume up to scratch? (Damn, just forgotten how to put accents over letters!)

Learning that Jeremy Kyle smokes ruined the whole day for me, after all the grief he gives countless boozers and druggies each and every morning you'd have thought he'd lead by example! No one has mentioned them but I thought Alan Crowhurst's photographs were stunning. Once again it was an excellent Derby Awards and the Boylesports funded happy hour in the Mitre afterwards exceptional value considering hour many hours it actually lasted!

Alan's photos were indeed very good and it was great to see the award go to one of the genuine good guys.

There were one or two other portfolios that deserved a place in the final four more than one or two of the runner up portfolios behind Alan's though!

Back