Derby Day switch?

I'd probably stick to G1s in Ireland and France.

Remember I only bet on terrestrial TV races worth £20k+ (usually only on Saturdays) as it is so it wouldn't be much to give up on. I've cut down a lot on the amount of form study I do as it is and I've certainly cut out almost entirely drawing up ratings tables for the races I do. I stopped subscribing to Raceform at the close of the Flat turf season and don't intend going back.

As retirement approaches, I don't find it hard to envisage doing what my father did at a slightly younger age than me. When he was about 50 he gave up punting entirely. Never even had a bet on the National after he made his decision.

I'd probably take up golf or bowls.

the main problem I see is that you are not able to follow and do the ratings as focusly as you would do when betting

Thats a pit because I think you have a better understanting of what happens in the sport if you do the figures,

what is a little surprising for me is that if you are retiring you will have more time and also nowdays with the races in tv, the replays for free in internet and the chance to rate yourslef in the Racing Post makes things much easier than it was in the past.

Last edited:
Well, DO, as you were recently bemoaning not being able to afford to go to the cinema (in the Chat section), all that hard work doesn't seem to have been that worthwhile, anyway! Just as well to give it up, then, and finance an annual trip to the Odeon. Why, with a can or Irn Bru on 'reduced to clear', and an Own Brand bag of popcorn, you'll feel fair spoiled!

Back