Des Scahill

That is pretty terrible. Could Golden Silvers colours be any more recognisable.

To be fair(ish), and I've dissed him for years now, he did mix up some of the colours in the Irish GN, but there was an awful lot of very similar blue out there. God knows where DOUBLE DIZZY was - one minute he'd fallen, then he was third, then he was gone again - you might as well turn the sound off and try to figure out the runners for yourself. He's still missing some fallers completely, although I don't know if his view's any better than ours, if he's calling via the monitor and not through binocs.

Des said a few years ago that he finds it hard to get motivated outside the really big days.I think it's a disgrace that he is still in the job-it shows contempt for the customer.

Didn't he call Golden Silver as a faller today when it was a different horse?

Shocking Gal. It was Mighty Massini that fell. Was on course for it and i was almost rubbing my eyes a fence later when i was convinced Golden Silver was there on the outside. Moment to forget for Dessie. As Cantoris pointed out, wonder if there was any mayhem n the exchanges.?

I think the quote oft put here is 'bored to death' by it. As far as I'm concerned, his race-calling is so robotic, he could be replaced by those little jumping number cloths that US racing so loves. Unlike Richard Hoiles, he never seems to find racing fun, or manage a few witty remarks; he misses far too many incidents which impact on horses' performances, and seems to think that drama is built by just shouting names louder and louder at the finish. Time for the carriage clock, I think!

Came on to see if Dun Doire survived, didn;t look good as Katie W walked off quite quickly.

Anyway: re Golden Silver - I had backed him but wasn't watching him that closely, as he was going fine just in behind the leaders - I was following the figs on Betfair - so I looked up sharpish when Des said he'd fallen and saw instantly that he was still going! - his sleeves are instantly recognisable, but in any case he was much further up the field than MM and the other fallers. It was ludicrious!

But yes indeed, there was apparemtly quite some mayhem on the exchanges as Matt C said he'd had a lot of emails moaning about people losing their dosh after laying him presumably, on Des's call - he told them, essentially, to eff and use their eyes in future!! They should know better than to trust Des anyway - he misses a lot of fallers esp if they are at the back of the field, and increasingly so

he was even worse yesterday in the Irish Grand NAtional, he was calling in the bend hrose fallen 10 fences before.

Dessie is and always has been incompetent- I am sure he announced the winner of the Galway Plate as a faller a few years back and didn't bat an eyelid when he then called it the winner . A Father Dougal of commentators.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - anyone who punts in-running relying on what a commentary tells them deserves to lose their money.

You'll be delighted that you're in synch with Matt Chapman, then, Shadz - he said the very same yesterday!

Round Towers GFC, Kildare Town, are hosting a Punchestown Festival Preview Night in Tigerlily Nightclub, Silken Thomas, Kildare Town, Co Kildare next Monday 12th April 2010.

Panel includes: Des Scahill (MC), Dessie Hughes, David Casey, Paddy Flood, Conor O'Dwyer, Noel O'Brien (Handicapper), Johnny Ward (Sunday Independent), Martin Murphy (HRI) + other special guests.

Tickets €10 can be bought from any player/commitee member or on the door on the night!

Hopefully Dessie remembers who's who, who has been asked what question and where he is.

Saw that Ward character on RTE yesterday, thought he was full of it.

Back