Dessie's 1990 King George

I'd like to think Dessie still would have won but neither horse was under pressure at that point so who knows?

What I would say is that though they were the same age, Dessie had many more miles on the clock, so whether that may have told in the finish, I don't know. Dessie didn't look as swift in the home straight as he had done in previous years. He was 11, so no wonder.

Sabin Du Loir had beaten him at Exeter a month earlier over two miles, and he beat him again at Wincanton the following season, but really I think the number of races Dessie had run by then had caught up with him.

Scu was on Sabin Du Loir,Dunwoody on DO. No I think Dessie would have galloped him into submission.
Peter Scudamore wasn't riding at all. Mark Perrett rode Sabin Du Loir, who never won over three miles in his entire career that I'm aware of, so the question is easy to answer. Desert Orchid's decline certainly wasn't in evidence that day; beating an in-form Toby Tobias so easily was top notch form.

S de L did not stay 3 miles . DO would have won comfortably.

Graham Goode's commentary from the last must be the most irritating in the history of televised racing .

I thought it was a cheap added commentary, didn't realise it was aired at the time. Very weird stuff altogether.

Sycophantic, I'd say, except that GG looks a kindly old man these days ... so I won't!

Pretty sure that the commentary I listened to on the link wasn't GG...........though would agree he is dreadful.

Peter Scudamore wasn't riding at all. Mark Perrett rode Sabin Du Loir, who never won over three miles in his entire career that I'm aware of...

Yes... Perret rode Sabin in 1990 when he fell and Scu rode Sabin in 1991 when both he and DO fell three out.

The furthest trip Sabin won at was 21 furlongs in a Grade 2 at Wincanton when he beat DO six lengths off levels.

It's a ref to the mag, not the horse. I'm afraid I'm bound by the Official Secrets Act to keep schtum about anything further.

Peter Scudamore wasn't riding at all. Mark Perrett rode Sabin Du Loir.

Yes... Perret rode Sabin in 1990 when he fell and Scu rode Sabin in 1991 when both he and DO fell three out.

Thanks for putting me right,I jumped the gun a bit! And Rory,I love your directness;) sounds like you want to punch my lights out for getting it wrong:ninja:

I was SDL's biggest fan but in my opinion above all he was best fresh racing over anything between 2 to 2.5 miles.

One of my favourite horses [and my favourite horse name of all time although never found out what it meant or what place it was named after]. Was really glad to see him retire in one piece and actually wrote to the Pipes at the time. They thought a lot of him and PS thought he was one of the best horses he ever rode.

Back