Do You Like Wearing A Suit?

• Thread starter Thread starter Phil Waters
  • Start date Start date
P

Phil Waters

Does your job require you to wear a suit?

Do you think you could do the same job as well by not wearing one?

Would you be comfortable going in for major heart surgery and being greeted by the surgeon who happened to be wearing shorts, his favourite football team-shirt and a pair of knee high doc marten boots?

No

Yes

As long as he doesn't kill me, that's fine.

In answer to the question in the title - only if I can also wear a sign around my neck saying "I am a self important twat, please listen very carefully to all of the twaddle I have to spout".

ditto

ditto

ditto

In answer to the question in the title, it sometimes makes a nice change from jeans and a t-shirt. But only sometimes.

Ok then -

No

Yes

Guess so & reckon pretty much the same as Simmo!

In answer to the question in the title, it makes a nice change to dress up smart every now & again!

I have about 8 decent suits and wear one to work about 2 days a week.

I have recently acquired a white one, as I was doing a bit of work in the Miami area.

:lol: My son, who has been known to review films professionally, once said to me that Michael Mann may be no Scorsese but that he had never made a bad film. I excused him as he was only eight years old when The Keep was released.

You might like this:

Michael Mann must be stopped

I don't have to wear a suit for work but do as I like to set high standards for the pupils. I could do the job as well/badly without the suit but would have much less respect from pupils who need role models.

I wear a suit all the time except when I go racing at Newbury when I wear a poloneck.

PS I am mad.
icon_eek.gif

In my previous job I was required to wear a suit most of the time, or at least look smart. Now I am in a small office with a much smaller number of staff there is no dress code at all. Jeans, polo shirts, flat shoes (essential for dog walking) is now the norm for all staff. I always wear a suit when visiting customers.

I now really look forward to going racing so I can dress up and don't need at least 3 sets of clothes as I did before.

I occasionally wear a polo neck too but I am not mad.

I believe firmly that people should dress appropriately in a given situation.

I wear dress trousers and keep a smart jacket at work to wear with them, and in Scotland I'd be regarded as unprofessional if I didn't wear a tie. I totally agree with Paul about us being role models. (I also believe school uniforms should be compulsory.)

If I have an important meeting I wear a proper suit and I wear my best suit for interviews. Mrs Mo and Moette are always very complimentary when they see me 'scrubbed and dressed up'.

We have a couple of staff who don't wear ties(The PE Departmnent on Parents evening for example) and I think it sets a terrible example. I agree with school uniforms too, Mo.

Nope rather dress in a casual mode myself so you can relax..... casual don't have to mean scruffy either....................... :P

suits are all right for formal occasions or obviously if a dress code is in operation in your job of work that’s entirely different? :rolleyes:

Career civil servant. Need I say more.
Wear a collar and tie for the Chelteham Festival and will do so if I make Goodwood next week(along with traditional headgear for that meet). I will also dress formally at Monmore dogs on 13 August as I am presenting one of the trophies provided by our FF greyhound syndicate. Don't intend ever having to have heart surgery so question is irrelevant to me.

We're required to wear a 'uniform' of sorts by the racecourses: they'd prefer raceday staff to wear a white shirt, black trousers and shoes, and the company blazer - males to wear the corporate tie. When I worked in Saudi, I always wore smart two-pieces, or a v. smart office dress and heels - you had to line up a bit with the country's religious edicts on clothing - no bare arms, no short skirts, and no tight clothing.

No, of course I wouldn't find it okay for my surgeon to appear thus clad: for a start, the boots will be full of scuzzy bacteria and I'll get MRSA and die three days after a successful op - thanks. I think everyone should dress appropriate to their position and the kind of credibility they hope to express: you wouldn't dress in a suit and tie if you were a graphics designer, but you would if you were trying to sell a £5 million house to some rich rock star (who'd be dressed in ripped jeans and a tee). I don't expect a surgeon to work in leisure clothing, and I don't expect a jockey to ride the Derby favourite while wearing a pink tutu, no matter how much he likes it.

Not compulsory, but I do wear a suit when on days ( saying that, the jacket is hung up all day ). Rest of the shifts, it's either a shirt and pants, or t-shirt and jeans if I can't be bothered. Wearing a suit doesn't really bother me either way.

As long as he / she is a skilled surgeon, I wouldn't care if they were in the buff B)

Phil, why do you ask anyway?

The reason I am asking is to find out what others think.

I think it puts restrictions on liberty.

Back