Do You Like Wearing A Suit?

• Thread starter Thread starter Phil Waters
  • Start date Start date
What restrictions, what liberty? This is a bit of a no-brainer, Phil. Apart from people who work in back rooms or at home, most jobs require some form of uniformity of dress. Maybe you've never had a job, so you don't know this. If you think you're going to get a job as, say, an estate agent, kitted out in a velour tracksuit and a pair of Reeboks, you're much mistaken.

I'd suggest that the notion of liberty be taken a little more seriously, like why people are murdered daily because of the illiberality of the regimes under which they suffer. Dress codes as an infringement of human liberty? Yes, if they're placed by force or threat upon a person, for example, the Taleban's imposition of full veiling and cover upon Afghan women, upon pain of imprisonment after a nice public whipping. No, if it's just a matter that to be a brain surgeon, you need to cover up and protect your patient from your filthy germs.

Krizon, it's terrible that people are murdered etc. but liberty is liberty regardlesss of the level of liberty in question.

Except that the now thankfully defunct Taleban not only put dress restrictions on Afghan women by force, Gareth, but also put in force an edict preventing them from working. Thus, they were both liberated from the need to live by working, and at the same time protected from the lustful gaze of menfolk. That worked well, I see.

I'm saddened that notions of what 'liberty' is are so devalued and triviliazed by people who often abuse it for petty, selfish ends. (Not you especially, Phil, just people who think that all it means is to do absolutely anything they want, when they want - in other words, the sociopathy of some sections of society. Wanna work on that one?)

As in 'not in government', Brian, as I suspect you knew I meant.

Thanks for the link - good to see old Wafiq there, Class of '87, terrific shot, had a wonderful collection of birds' eggs and was a fantastic after-dinner raconteur.

I choose to wear a suit to work but generally prefer not to when going to the races.

I find it very strange that a jacket and tie are essential equipment if you want a proper view of the horses at many English tracks.

If temperatures soar into the 100's gentlemen are sometimes allowed to remove their jackets. It's because of declining standards, such as that, that I no longer go racing. Next thing you know a syringe will be found in a racecourse toilet. Damn hippys.

I love the dress code at Donny - acrylic jacket with knitted tie. It really pisses me off . The standards of behaviour have improved enormously at Newmarket since they gave the members enclosure dress code the boot and replaced it with smart casual.

Brian - that site is very good!!!!!
hysterical%20(1).gif

Back